Halloween Forum banner

Would a setup this big sell?

• Hell yes, that thing is awesome!

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • No way, too expensive/massive/specific.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Just burn it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not posting this in FOR SALE section because it's not really for sale... yet.

It is possible I might be moving out of state in the near future.. (1-3 months) and I don't think we're going to buy a house, at least not right away.

We won't want to take the entire setup with us so I'm gauging interest in someone buying the entire thing.

I'm thinking price wise in the 600-800 range for everything; columns, throne, chain, lights, candles... not my wife.
This would just about cover materials but definitely not build time but that was fun.

There are some things that need touching up on it as a result of display, moving and storage but nothing the average person couldn't do.

Is something this large even something people would be interested in?

A truck or big trailer would absolutely be needed to move it all.

I definitely don't want to wait until the last minute because it would all end up in the trash on moving day, which would suck.

Here's a link to the finished build if you haven't seen it...

Daytime
http://www.halloweenforum.com/hallo...ance-throne-garage-facade-12.html#post1813748

Night
http://www.halloweenforum.com/hallo...ance-throne-garage-facade-11.html#post1813172

Comments welcome, what do you think about the price.. too high, too low?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only concern about splitting them up is that individually they don't make too much sense.. except maybe the throne alone. That's where I struggle.. who needs 30+ of chain made with 24" links painted purple and green? lol.

The price is definitely WAY lower than if i was being paid to build the same thing. Just the hands and faces foam sculpting alone is about 20hrs work. I just figure it's so specific of a theme and so massive, I have to sweeten the deal with a lower price so someone can afford to rent a truck/drive to get it, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think that price is very very good for what you have here. However... given the size, you almost have to sell it local. I imagine that will all but destroy any real chance of selling it.

That being said though, no reason not to try. Throw is up on craigslist and a few forums and see if magic can happen.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Honestly, I think if you were to put that on Craigslist for $1000 dollars you would not have too much trouble selling it. It might take a little work, but I think you could have it sold with some time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with djm902, I think you should ask more, you can always come down on your price.
With this level of work, you should get more!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all.
Biggest issue is I'm not ready to sell it yet and when I am.. I probably will have so much other stuff to worry about with a move across the country that managing a sale like this might be a pain.

As for the price.. I do agree.. from a sheer hours perspective.. as a graphic designer I charge anywhere from 50-75 per hour for my work. This collection of artwork and craftsmanship would be out of the range of the average home haunter so I have to consider the 'marketplace.'

Plus.. I would rather let it go to someone who will use it and enjoy it than try to get as much as I can from it. I look at it like, if I built it once, I can build it again, but better.

We'll see what the end of this month brings.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'd start at 1200, and no way can you split it up, any serious buyers wouldn't anyway. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
One of the things I have to constantly teach my fellow collector car bubbas about is The Buyers Pyramid. I was taught about the pyramid when I was working at an auto dealership in the 1990s, and I've found the information very useful.

Think of a pyramid that's divided into sections. The widest section is all people. Then the sections become smaller and narrower as you start to weed potential buyers out. Here's an example of one for the collector car market...

Applying this concept to this situation, you need to find someone who is really into Halloween or really into Maleficent, wanting a large scale prop, has the room to store said prop during the off season, is close enough to pick it up or pay to have it shipped, and has the money to pay your price. I suspect that top of the buyer's pyramid isn't going to be very big. In fact, it'll likely be non-existent.

My advice to you would be to consider putting it into storage until you firm up your plans for your new house. Most likely you won't sell it unless you really beat some long odds and find someone at the tip of that pyramid, and you'll end up having to give it away or even more likely trash it because no one wants it. Or, if all else fails, find some organization or school to donate it to and take a tax write off.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what is it made of ??? how small does it break down ??? how far from columbus ohio are you ??

the throne is the tallest piece at about 9-10 ft tall.

the next biggest piece is the base of the column which is about 8x3x2

It's all wood frame, luan skin and styrofoam overlay.

I'm about 2 hrs north of cbus straight up 71

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the things I have to constantly teach my fellow collector car bubbas about is The Buyers Pyramid. I was taught about the pyramid when I was working at an auto dealership in the 1990s, and I've found the information very useful.

/snip/

GREAT reply. I pretty much expected this paradigm to be the case in terms of selling this piece which is why I was trying to gauge interest. If it doesn't make sense, I won't even bother putting effort into the sale when the time comes except for shooting video of the garbage man crushing it up.

I don't want to pay for the storage for sure. Storage rates per month don't make a whole lot of sense to me. I always thought they were cheaper but boy was I wrong when I shopped around.

Thanks again for the reply!

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Oh gawd, it kills me to think your beautiful work would/could end up in the crusher!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, is my opinion. Give yourself enough time to try and sell on CL, even evilbay local pick up only, before your move. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be someone interested in having one fantastic, over the top scene. The craftsmanship & price certainly can't be beat! When you really become serious about selling, you might just find somebody on here that would be thrilled to give your castle a new home:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you are serious about selling this priv message me your contact info....im am interesr only if sold before winter hits,,,no interest in traveling that far in the snow

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,791 Posts
I hope you and tommy g can work something out if you do sell. If not I would start contacting all the local haunts and drama clubs in your area. If you are proactive you may be able to get what you want. If you react to others you may settle for less.
If you donate it, to a drama club or local haunt ask to trade for a series of free tickets. Although you may not be able to use those you may be able to sell them to recoup some money or give those away to friends and family.

·
Registered
606 Posts
GREAT reply. I pretty much expected this paradigm to be the case in terms of selling this piece which is why I was trying to gauge interest. If it doesn't make sense, I won't even bother putting effort into the sale when the time comes except for shooting video of the garbage man crushing it up.

I don't want to pay for the storage for sure. Storage rates per month don't make a whole lot of sense to me. I always thought they were cheaper but boy was I wrong when I shopped around.

Thanks again for the reply!
Please don't do that!!! You would crush my Halloween heart with that video.

I really think you could get much higher and a local pick-up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts