Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

So I have two lights that have power cords to them. I'd like to connect them to a relay that will tell them when to go on and off....unsure how to do this though...anyone have advice/experience????

--Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are different ways to do this. How are you wanting to activate the lights?
Basically I've connected a media player with the video files to a relay. The video files have embedded info on when the light goes off. I wanted to connect the light to the relay....make sense?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Hi All:

So I have two lights that have power cords to them. I'd like to connect them to a relay that will tell them when to go on and off....unsure how to do this though...anyone have advice/experience????

--Tony
This is easily doable for someone with experience working with 120v. The fact that you are asking this tells me you don't have experience with 120v. If that's the case, I HIGHLY suggest you switch to 12vdc lights or find a good electrician. 120v can be extremely dangerous if not properly connected and isolated. If you really want to do it yourself, here's a good tutorial that explains it pretty well.
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/119

·
Registered
57 Posts
Basically I've connected a media player with the video files to a relay. The video files have embedded info on when the light goes off. I wanted to connect the light to the relay....make sense?
Yes, it does. Do you already have a relay that is compatible with your video files, or are you trying to figure out what relay you need?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J-Man: Thanks for the info...muddling my way through here....

Kensington: I'm working with the Hi-Rez Designs media player and relay...

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
J-Man: Thanks for the info...muddling my way through here....

Kensington: I'm working with the Hi-Rez Designs media player and relay...
OK, so you have the DTMF Decoder. Yes, you can connect your lights to the relays on the decoder, BUT, again, you have to be extremely careful with isolating the decoder so there's no chance of anyone touching it and getting jolted by 120v.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts