Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have a new president and made history in the process.
You also held europe captive with your presidential race.
The whole world was watching in anticipation.
God bless America and keep her new president safe and wise.

MsMeeple

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
An amazing thing to live through. One hundred and fifty years ago the population of the US was 31,000,000. And of that number 4,000,000 were slaves. Thirty years ago, heck TEN years ago, the mere idea of a Black Man in the White House was ridiculous. America, where anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
well said MsMeeple !

i never bother much with politics , but like many other canadians, this time i was following it closely and yesterday couldnt get myself away from the tv to watch anxiously the result and Obama's victory ......

my fellow american friends , i sincerly hope that you get the positive change you desperatly need and deserve as the great country you are, hope it brings a better world understanding as well with this historic election in the united states and brings other countries closer together....

·
Registered
823 Posts
like my fellow friends here outside the us i was at work and couldn't stop checking on my cell phone on cnn and calling home to have news and when it was sure who was the new president i was so Happy . If we would have something like that here in canada Politic would have been fun for us to follow . Just hope the new change promised will be a new beginning for all of you !

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
Since no one else will....

Thanks for the congratulations overseas friends and haunters :)

This past election has been something!!!

sorry to have been keeping you so distracted with our affairs...:eek::D

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
Wow! I know they always say that the whole world is watching, but I always thought that it was kind of a metaphor. But the whole world was literally watching. That makes me proud. And as just a single American, I'd like to thank you all for your kind words. :)

I know not everyone here feels hopeful of our new President Elect and that he will deliver the kind of change we need, but I personally feel that there is new hope. Hope for positive change. Obama will not be a perfect President, but no man or woman will ever be a perfect President. I'm not going to sit here and say that he will make all the right decisions or that I even agree with all of his beliefs and policies, but I welcome the breath of fresh air and I hope he will deliver with some positive changes. I think he will have a very positive affect on our country, but only time will tell. I only ask that those who voted for McCain give Obama a chance. Our country needs to come together if we're going to make positive change. The next 4 years were going to be a daunting challenge for either candidate, and I hope the one that has been elected will be able to meet that challenge.

This of course is just one man's humble opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no opinion can be wrong.

Thanks again to our international friends! :D :cool:

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
Wow! I know they always say that the whole world is watching, but I always thought that it was kind of a metaphor. But the whole world was literally watching. That makes me proud. And as just a single American, I'd like to thank you all for your kind words. :)

I know not everyone here feels hopeful of our new President Elect and that he will deliver the kind of change we need, but I personally feel that there is new hope. Hope for positive change. Obama will not be a perfect President, but no man or woman will ever be a perfect President. I'm not going to sit here and say that he will make all the right decisions or that I even agree with all of his beliefs and policies, but I welcome the breath of fresh air and I hope he will deliver with some positive changes. I think he will have a very positive affect on our country, but only time will tell. I only ask that those who voted for McCain give Obama a chance. Our country needs to come together if we're going to make positive change. The next 4 years were going to be a daunting challenge for either candidate, and I hope the one that has been elected will be able to meet that challenge.

This of course is just one man's humble opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no opinion can be wrong.

Thanks again to our international friend! :D :cool:
Perfectly said, can't add much to this.

Thank you to our international friends who now have new hope as well. I feel this truly is good for the world and not just the US. I did enjoy seeing the celebrations around the world.

·
Registered
242 Posts
yes, thank you so much for your kind words. It was amazing to see the reactions and celebrations yesterday. I got goosebumps and shed tears yesterday. It was a truly historic day. I thought both Obama and McCain's speeches after Obama's win were both excellent and both eloquent. I am hopeful for change and excited for our future.

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
I'll be the first to really go out on a limb here and say what I really think. I didn't/don't care for either one of them. I'm a registered Republican but have discovered over the last 3 years that I have more in common with the Libertarian party than any of the others. I voted twice for George Bush and have since regretted it.

Yesterday I was was of the 1% that actually showed up at the polls as an "undecided" but then after great pause, cast a vote for McCain because he just seems to share more (although not all) of the values that I espouse to over Barack Obama. But it's not like my vote here in Mississippi really counts anyways. MS is a conservative state that hasn't gone Dem in 22 years. Until they get of the antiquated Electoral College, my vote will never count.

Last night I went to bed frustrated that Obama had won but this morning I am renewed and here's why. I live in a state that has a 38% black population. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have heard someone say "a black man doesn't stand a chance in this country" or "the white man is keeping the black man down" or lastly, (and my personal favorite), "blacks have no one to represent them". With Obama now as President, there are no more excuses. The glass ceiling has been broken. There is finally someone to represent them and he holds the most powerful position in the world. NOT the country ... the world.

It's time to get up, pull those pants up to your waist, look in the mirror and say, "I CAN!!!!"

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have heard someone say "a black man doesn't stand a chance in this country" or "the white man is keeping the black man down" or lastly, (and my personal favorite), "blacks have no one to represent them". With Obama now as President, there are no more excuses. The glass ceiling has been broken. There is finally someone to represent them and he holds the most powerful position in the world. NOT the country ... the world.

It's time to get up, pull those pants up to your waist, look in the mirror and say, "I CAN!!!!"
Many, MANY people share those exact sentiments. Well stated! (especially the part about pulling up the pants! LOL!!!

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
SouthernBelle, I appreciate your honesty and I don't disagree with you. I too am relieved that the glass ceiling has been shattered. That's another thing I find very refreshing about this whole situation. This is truly a country were ANYONE can succeed with enough dedication and hard work and last night proved that. I honestly was honored to witness such a historic evening, and I feel that Obama has a good opportunity to make significant positive changes.

I don't know how I'll feel about the man in a year or two, but I would never root for him to fail because his failure would be OUR failure. I hope that all liberals and conservatives alike are rooting for him as well because it's in their own self interests.

·
MASTER OF ALL I SURVEY!
100,685 Posts
:) We didn't just see history being made yesterday, we were all part of it! In
my life I have seen many such events....The cuban misile crisis, JFK & RFK's
assassinations, man landing on the moon, watergate, 9/11....we were
here, now, taking part in events that future generations will only be able
to read about in history books! It's all truly awesome!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Joker, you are very well spoken (written). I agree that Obama is a good choice just because, I'm more of a liberal then a bigot. Unfortunately, for my state the Rep. kept all the key seats. Though our Senate seat is still up in the air. The weasel is only ahead by 400points so their will be a recount. I will not write all their names because, this is a family friendly site. lol
I'm really glad that so many countries were watching us last night and we could come through with a person to represent us all. I'm hoping that everyone at the capitol can work together and put aside all their pettines. I've seen way to much of that with the Dem. and the Rep.
Personally, I'm glad this country could take a step forward into this century.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yup, I was kind of surprised too. Just look up Minnesotan Rep. and it equals Bigot. Nothing really acceptible outside the box. The one they live in. Though the Dems aren't much better. They at least will open the door, then run and hide. Ok, I can tell my anti-anger management pills are not working. Time to take another. I'll stop here.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
Interesting. I didn't realize that "Bigot" was a political party. I'll have to look into that.
:D LOL! I'm guessing he's condemning Liberals who voted for McCain solely because of the color of Obama's skin. What did they call that... The Bradley Effect I think? I'd hope that as a society we'd be past that. I understand that's not entirely the case, but this election shows we're moving in the right direction. :cool:

And thanks for the kind words, Growler. :)

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
Yup, I was kind of surprised too. Just look up Minnesotan Rep. and it equals Bigot. Nothing really acceptible outside the box. The one they live in. Though the Dems aren't much better. They at least will open the door, then run and hide. Ok, I can tell my anti-anger management pills are not working. Time to take another. I'll stop here.
LMAO! You just described the Republican politicians of Mississippi.

Actually, I think the system as a whole is broken beyond repair. Australia is looking better and better.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Oh, not at all Joker. I'm describing all the people who think gays are lower then dogs. Family values my a$$! Ok, I think my soap box broke.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts