Can can relate to the post?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
...in fact i have been dreaming I'm a pumpkin in a paper mache patch the last few nights. Nestled in warm earth and soft papery vines, mmm snuggle up pumpkins!!
Too funny!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sharing

Oh dear, I fear I'm showing the early symptoms of this dreaded propaholism. At this point it is obsession over large costume elements like masks and other accoutrements that upon retirement from the costume scene will (and have) become props. I have notebooks worth of prop designs and ideas. I peruse "gateway" forum threads on prop making and yearn for the time when I'm not in a dorm or apartment and can settle somewhere and build, build, build. OH GAWD, somebody help me!! How do I stop myself from developing full-out prop addiction?! Somebody tell me before it is too late!

Ahem...sorry for that little outburst. Really, I think I can best relate to Spookilicious mama - at this point I'm more like a wannabe propaholic, and I can't help but drool over all the spectacular creations of fellow Halloween obsessees. I would definitely say I'm a Halloween enthusiast (since you can be one and not the other).

I can certainly relate to your story. I think what started my love of scaring (I'm not even going to get into what first got me into Halloween; I think I attempted an explanation on another thread a number of months ago) was first being scared at haunt events. My first taste of it was when I wore a werewolf costume with an awesome mask complete with an movable lower jaw. The San Diego Wild Animal Park had a Halloween event at night many years ago that allowed guest costumes, and on their haunted trail I decided to occupy an empty dark little corner where I jumped out with a snarl at fellow guests. For a little girl in a werewolf costume, I recall doing pretty darn well ;), and from then I was hooked.
Thanks for sharing. I bet that werewolf mask was awesome! Have a great weekend!!

-Doc

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,361 Posts
The room was silent as the next person in the circle took her turn. " . . . . . Hallow -- My name is HSB -- and I'm a Propoholic. . ." I come form a Propoholic Family. They live in HForum Town and they are pushers of all things Halloween. I know I should be stronger and resist - but whenever I am in the same room with them - I break down. I can't sleep. I don't eat anything but popcorn balls, ghost peeps and snicker bars. I can't concentrate on anything but props for 2010. Thanks for listening. . . BOO!"

She lowered her gaze in what everyone thought was embarrassment. Then everyone in the room noticed a wild look in her eyes! She was posting on Halloween Forum from her Blackberry!

The group moderator stepped in and addressed the room. "See -- this is what happens when you get hooked on Halloween Forum. She is just too far gone. . ."

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello everyone. My name is Daniel and I am a wannabe propohollic... I say wannabe because I haven't learned too much about prop making yet (made my first ever prop, a FCG this year!) and since I am in an apartment I really don't have too much room to do it in.

...even when I'm at work I will see something and think about how great that would look, or what would be really cool to do to something.... and I don't mention it anymore because my coworkers got tired of hearing me talk about Halloween in August. I even put tools on my Christmas list so that I could use them to make more props... all the while telling my family that they're for, "projects for around the apartment"

I am glad to be here...before I was here, I was a sad/unusual person who thought about Halloween only in the month of October... decorating for Halloween was limited to a week or two, with only store bought items... and never, ever, ever was Halloween mentioned after Oct 31st. It was a sad time in my life, but thanks to the people here I am now able to live a proper/normal life where Halloween is every day....thank you Halloweenforum...thank you.

...and if anybody has some great ideas for me to add to my binder I'm starting feel free to send me a PM with a link to the howtos.

·
Reaper Queen
8,622 Posts
I too am a propaholic, , I have gone dumpster diving at work, taken home many scrap items that have been made into props, my biggest dream is to have a work shop to do this prop building better, everything I see I try to figure out how it can be turned in to or made part of a prop. But I don't want help, you can't make me stop!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Monster List

Hello everyone. My name is Daniel and I am a wannabe propohollic... I say wannabe because I haven't learned too much about prop making yet (made my first ever prop, a FCG this year!) and since I am in an apartment I really don't have too much room to do it in.

...even when I'm at work I will see something and think about how great that would look, or what would be really cool to do to something.... and I don't mention it anymore because my coworkers got tired of hearing me talk about Halloween in August. I even put tools on my Christmas list so that I could use them to make more props... all the while telling my family that they're for, "projects for around the apartment"

I am glad to be here...before I was here, I was a sad/unusual person who thought about Halloween only in the month of October... decorating for Halloween was limited to a week or two, with only store bought items... and never, ever, ever was Halloween mentioned after Oct 31st. It was a sad time in my life, but thanks to the people here I am now able to live a proper/normal life where Halloween is every day....thank you Halloweenforum...thank you.

...and if anybody has some great ideas for me to add to my binder I'm starting feel free to send me a PM with a link to the howtos.

Hi Changed!! It looks like you are fitting right in with the rest of us "unusual" folks...congrats.

A good source of ideas I have used and review annually is the Monster List. It's amazing to see all the stuff to make.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I too am a propaholic, , I have gone dumpster diving at work, taken home many scrap items that have been made into props, my biggest dream is to have a work shop to do this prop building better, everything I see I try to figure out how it can be turned in to or made part of a prop. But I don't want help, you can't make me stop!!
There, there now (patting your back)...sometimes, we don't need to be cured. Some of us are quite happy with our continuous thoughts of "propping" and there is nothing wrong with that. The best thing to remember at this time of year is that this inconvenient Christmas thing will soon be gone and out of the way. Then, we can hack the after-Xmas close out goodies and turn them into great Halloween props!! YES!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
In addition to my earlier post... is it bad that I went out and bought both a 3 hole punch so I could add things to my halloween project binder....and then a new printer because I didn't like the photo quality of the stuff I printed out for my binder? ......

·
Registered
355 Posts
Oh ya

I get very little time to actually work on props, since I have a 1 year old and my wife and I have different work schedules. But, I do seem to breath, eat, and sleep, Halloween props. Heck it's two days until Christmas and I'm on here writing to you fine people.

·
Registered
602 Posts
lol im a propaholic, i start building new props right after halloween. every day i try to think what to build. all my friends think im crazy so i am a propaholic and im proud

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
Propoholic here, and very proud to say so. I spend way too much money and way too much time on prop building but i love it soooo much.There is not a day that goes by that i dont think about halloween or something new to build or buy for it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Propoholic here, and very proud to say so. I spend way too much money and way too much time on prop building but i love it soooo much.There is not a day that goes by that i dont think about halloween or something new to build or buy for it.
Man, we are like soul mates! I KNOW the feeling. Hope you have a great 2010. I started on my new props on 11/01/09.

Bill

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Been there, done that, now doing...?

I have these different ideas popping into my head most all of the time, awake or asleep.(There is a slight difference)
I looked and thought about whether or not I should build my last project because I knew it would suck up alot of my time and I already open my haunted house for tours every night of the entire year anyway, and this schedule does leave my energy levels somewhat depleated often times.
Well I took a deep breath and went for it! Bought the antique two-man chainsaw(it has a set of it's own handlebars) for $65.oo from the antique mall, spent alot of time de-greasing it, then painting it.
Then the fun began designing a bracket to secure this monstrosity to the front frame of the giant, adult-sized trycikle ("Die-Sickle) I was going to make.
The defiant twins, "Aukward" and "Heavy" had to be compensated and overcome. I did this by making the tryke itself very substantial. Automobile tires and wheels, heavy, smoothly bent 2-1/2 inch steel pipe frame,(that used to hold a city street light) all painted red and white just like a new 1955 kid's toy. (Silver paint on the long blade)
Many were very impressed who saw it this October and expressed a desire to own such a creature of nearly automotive halloween erotica.
My previous construction is 98% done awaiting spring.
I might call it "Global Warming"
It's a set of tank tracks propelling a steel upright coffin, it has a V-12 engine mounted right behind the coffin.
It's all made out of scrap steel, sanded, primered and painted flat white (more "Dream-like..I didn't say "Good dream" did I?)
Pictures of some of my other creations can be observed at the website: hauntedravensgrin.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me explain my propoholic "story"... I used to be one of those kids that had horrible nightmares from the least scary things. Scooby-Doo was brutally horrifying when I was 8. So when I was 9, my friend and I tried to brave a near by haunted house. Now, don't get me wrong, this was a VERY professional haunted house done at a rented area in a museum. People who have been through the scariest haunts scream like a little girl in this. (It's called Maximum Terror... here's a link... Maximum Terror 2007) So, of course I gt there, and wanted to go home. But I need more of that atmosphpere. So what did I do? I went on the website and e-mailed the people, because I thought I would be able to be an actor there. They let me. After that I became addicted to Halloween. Every year I would volunteer and be an actor there (I actually had some really fantastic interactive parts) IT WAS MY LIFE... so just last year, they announced they wouldnt be doing the haunt for just that year. And now they couldnt do it this year. So this gave me the idea last year to put on my own show. I was 12, so I didn't have much faith in myself, but what a turn out it was. I really do have a great idea of what creepy and uncomfortable is. I didn't really make any props that year, but I bought some at Spirit. Spirit is ok for props, but most of them suck, so I said "Why don't I make my own?" So I went online and found out that people really do that and spend tons of money doing it. (shocker) And here I am now as a crazy 13 year old. Yes, saying I'm only 13 may be a turn off to some people, but you'd really be suprised. I'll post some pictures of what I made this year.

So now you're thinking... How can a 13 year old make something GOOD? Well, let me tell you, I have an idea for creepy. You see, last year I thought it was scary to put dead bodies everywhere and splatter blood on the ground. No. It's not scary. At all. This year I'm doing a toy store theme (I have a thread on it in General Halloween) Basically, my ideology is to make an enviroment that makes people feel theyre uncomfortable. Not scared--- just really creeped out. My style is to make things look very old and gothic, so people are in awe at what they're looking at. I don't like making a big, elaborate backstory- I just like throwing people into a totally unknown world that is this way it is for no particular reason. I also use music from Midnight Syndicate to help the atmosphere.

Anyways thats my (amazing) story lol. If you doubt my ability since I'm 13, just check by in a couple months and you'll see some really great stuff. :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Here is a big secret

If you want to scare people with a prop it sure doesn't have to cost much money, IF you want to invest your time and energy into using the prop as a part of something bigger, like a total misdirection scare , distracting them with something else, or spend the effort making them anticipate the worst, then you can scare them with anything, a plastic garbage bag, a cardboard cut out, your own unmasked, no made-up face, the twitch of one eyebrow!
We really have no idea of what exactly scares any one person but if we can get them thinking that "Anything" is possible, then their mind drags out it's own phobias and begin to worry that those items may be waiting there.
One afternoon a group of 30 to 50 yr. old adults were laughing and pointing at my house.
"Do you have Tupperware in that house?" A man asked laughing .
"Yes I do," I said truthfully. "It was once playing a part in a murder/mystery here, it had seriously pinched a man in a motel room."
The laugher stopped laughing.
That night all but one of them returned for the house tour. "Mr. Tupper" chickened out, which nobody else could understand since they all said he was the office wise guy, "Class Clown" always joking and being nutty.
You never know what someone else is really afraid of..until.....
Of course if you really WANT to spend alot of money on props I have a Tupperware bowl for $5,000.25!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi everyone... um erm my name is Joe and I am a propaholic now for less than 7 months. I fear that I am have now where else to turn than to the basement full of tools. I can't even stay clean when I go to sleep, I have styrofoam scraps under my bed. On Christmas Day I sit locked in the garage on my laptop looking for ideas, for yet another prop. I have ran out of money and started using old and rusty nails just for a fix. I have to make my own masks now because I don't get the same rush from latex like I used to. I even have thoughts of Co-Running a haunted house for a charity, its gotten bad.... real bad. I need help

61 - 80 of 89 Posts