Halloween Forum banner

Can can relate to the post?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks, Doc and mr. creepy. I, too, am a Propaholic. And I could add to your list, why, just today, I took a fountain from my next door neighbor's trash. I already have one fountain, but it just wasn't enough. I've got to get back to work on the interior of my Hearse, maybe I'll add more later.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks, Doc and mr. creepy. I, too, am a Propaholic. And I could add to your list, why, just today, I took a fountain from my next door neighbor's trash. I already have one fountain, but it just wasn't enough. I've got to get back to work on the interior of my Hearse, maybe I'll add more later.
Hi Skulkin.

I am so envious...you grabbed a great goodie!! Lucky you!

I did a fountain, that I made out of a plastic inverted garbage can lid. I just have to work on keeping the blood nice and dark.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/picture.php?albumid=1029&pictureid=12906

Thanks for sharing the true Propaholic spirit. I can soooooo relate.

BTW, my wife wants me to build a hearse next year as I have wayyyyy to much stuff to finish as it is tis year!!! Please Email me some pics of yours as I am adding to my Wanna-do/Gotta-do list and looking for ideas.

-Doc

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
Hi, My name is Elza, and this is my first Propaholic Meeting. I feel it's time I address this addiction of mine and get things out in the open. I have tried to deal with this obsession on my own and have come to realize that I need this support group and that I am not alone.

My addiction started at an early age, but did not become a full blown obsession until I threw my first Halloween party. I have to admit that my craving for all things Halloween drove me to the point of using a poor innocent fellow and his house to throw my Party. (He had a great place, and I know that's no excuse for being a user, but I just couldn't resist.) You see he liked me in spite of it all. Little did he know, he was my first enabler.

I'm not proud of using him that way....But it was a BLAST...oh the chance to cover the walls in black plastic and hang black lights and all assorted accoutraments of the season. I find that I go often to my quiet place and dig my pictures out of hiding and gaze at them for hours.

Sigh! I am so glad I have found you all. I need this group greatly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started off about 17 years ago when I got married. I took the few things my wife already had and added some stuff I found. Used dry ice for fogging. It was a hit. I was asked several times if I worked at the studios or for Disney…. I was hooked.

It’s only been the last 3 years that I have been able to really do things since I have more time now that I am not working weekends and major overtime.

So, with that said, I AM A PROPAHOLIC. We can’t look at anything anymore with out seeing a Halloween prop. LOL. And sadly now, every year has got to bigger and better than the last. It’s getting harder to achieve this since I started. I am now looking at how to do animatronic props.

Scaring… My philosophy is that if they are out and about on Halloween, they are fair game. For the most part.
Now as I have said I don’t have any animatronics except for the butler and bride I bought. No one is jumping out at people.
I have one actor who likes to be in a grim reaper costume and walks around the graveyard. That’s all he does.
We have some one stationed on the porch for the brave souls that walk the path and some one on the sidewalk for those too scared to walk up the path. Everyone gets candy.

I find it interesting to note here that I have seen 15 and 18 year olds too scared to walk the path, but a 3 year old will be in awe and walk right up and say twick or tweet….
Last year I watched as 3 teenage girls stood there for 20 mins debating on whether or not to walk up.. Finally one of them did. My grim reaper had just been standing in the graveyard the whole time not moving. She got about half way up and he simple walked 4 feet. She screamed and exclaimed “OMG!! I JUST PEED!!!” The reaper and I could stop laughing. My wife of course took her inside to get cleaned up, but that was hilarious!

Anyway that’s my take. This year is going to be so much more fun…. MUWAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fear I am not doing so well. You see, today, where I work, we were having a Christmas in July party. I told my manager I was going to make a few more 'decorations" so I slunk off to a corner and whipped out the hot glue gun.

I'm afraid I went downhill from there. About 15 seconds in I stopped, ran to the out building, grabbed a skull, and started to make a foil and hot glue skull mold. As I started on my second skull I heard footsteps. While thinking those footsteps sounded eerie and would be great in a haunt, my manager comes around the corner. Busted.

Yes I have to admit, I am a propaholoic. . . . . and darn proud of it! Even when it gets me into trouble.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.
My name is Baron Samedi and I'm a propaholic.
It's been a while since I last attended a meeting, and my last work on a prop was at 9 o'clock this morning.

My dilemma is this: Due to financial constraints this year, I have today negotiated the hire of some of my props to a local social club for their "Thriller" themed float for the upcoming town carnival...obviously the proceeds will go to new prop projects and haunt funding.

Does this constitute "prop"stitution...??:confused:

Please help, I feel so dirty and ashamed...:(

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.
My name is Baron Samedi and I'm a propaholic.
It's been a while since I last attended a meeting, and my last work on a prop was at 9 o'clock this morning.

My dilemma is this: Due to financial constraints this year, I have today negotiated the hire of some of my props to a local social club for their "Thriller" themed float for the upcoming town carnival...obviously the proceeds will go to new prop projects and haunt funding.

Does this constitute "prop"stitution...??:confused:

Please help, I feel so dirty and ashamed...:(
lol there might be help for you after all baron!! gather around baron neads are suport!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too, am a propoholic! My entire garage (as well as one upstairs bedroom) is dedicated to making small children cry on Halloween :) It is so wonderful to find a collection of like minded folks. hehehehehehehehehehehe...............

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I started off about 17 years ago when I got married. I took the few things my wife already had and added some stuff I found. Used dry ice for fogging. It was a hit. I was asked several times if I worked at the studios or for Disney…. I was hooked.

It’s only been the last 3 years that I have been able to really do things since I have more time now that I am not working weekends and major overtime.

So, with that said, I AM A PROPAHOLIC. We can’t look at anything anymore with out seeing a Halloween prop. LOL. And sadly now, every year has got to bigger and better than the last. It’s getting harder to achieve this since I started. I am now looking at how to do animatronic props.

Scaring… My philosophy is that if they are out and about on Halloween, they are fair game. For the most part.
Now as I have said I don’t have any animatronics except for the butler and bride I bought. No one is jumping out at people.
I have one actor who likes to be in a grim reaper costume and walks around the graveyard. That’s all he does.
We have some one stationed on the porch for the brave souls that walk the path and some one on the sidewalk for those too scared to walk up the path. Everyone gets candy.

I find it interesting to note here that I have seen 15 and 18 year olds too scared to walk the path, but a 3 year old will be in awe and walk right up and say twick or tweet….
Last year I watched as 3 teenage girls stood there for 20 mins debating on whether or not to walk up.. Finally one of them did. My grim reaper had just been standing in the graveyard the whole time not moving. She got about half way up and he simple walked 4 feet. She screamed and exclaimed “OMG!! I JUST PEED!!!” The reaper and I could stop laughing. My wife of course took her inside to get cleaned up, but that was hilarious!

Anyway that’s my take. This year is going to be so much more fun…. MUWAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha

Ahhh, yes, the ever-elusive WMP (wet-my-pants). Nice job, bro'!!

-Doc

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,903 Posts
I'm sitting here at work, and unable to stop thinking about getting home so I can work on this big piece of foamcore in my garage... I am imagining the sanding, the painting, the clinking of the spraycan as I shake it up...the texture... I really think I need help. :p

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh dear, I fear I'm showing the early symptoms of this dreaded propaholism. At this point it is obsession over large costume elements like masks and other accoutrements that upon retirement from the costume scene will (and have) become props. I have notebooks worth of prop designs and ideas. I peruse "gateway" forum threads on prop making and yearn for the time when I'm not in a dorm or apartment and can settle somewhere and build, build, build. OH GAWD, somebody help me!! How do I stop myself from developing full-out prop addiction?! Somebody tell me before it is too late!

Ahem...sorry for that little outburst. Really, I think I can best relate to Spookilicious mama - at this point I'm more like a wannabe propaholic, and I can't help but drool over all the spectacular creations of fellow Halloween obsessees. I would definitely say I'm a Halloween enthusiast (since you can be one and not the other).

I can certainly relate to your story. I think what started my love of scaring (I'm not even going to get into what first got me into Halloween; I think I attempted an explanation on another thread a number of months ago) was first being scared at haunt events. My first taste of it was when I wore a werewolf costume with an awesome mask complete with an movable lower jaw. The San Diego Wild Animal Park had a Halloween event at night many years ago that allowed guest costumes, and on their haunted trail I decided to occupy an empty dark little corner where I jumped out with a snarl at fellow guests. For a little girl in a werewolf costume, I recall doing pretty darn well ;), and from then I was hooked.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts