Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year, our display was great. It more than doubled in size from the previous (first) year and was taking up the whole front yard plus roof. Mike and I worked our pumpkins off and made so many new props. The year before we'd only had 5 TOT's (we are outside the main well know candy-zones in town) but we had talked it up to everyone and were expecting 75-80 people.

Only 16 kids showed up. I was crushed. Honestly if it hadn't been for one little 3 year old girl that dragged her family back no less than 5 times to see everything, I probably would have ripped everything to shreds. But watching her scream and shriek then immediately laugh and beg for more left some seeds of hope. I told Mike it had to change, I couldn't do that amount of work for 16 TOT's again. Yes I loved creating it, but it was made for people to SEE.

I took 8 months off. Wouldn't even look at or speak of Halloween and didn't drag anything home from roadsides, etc. I didn't come here either bc I felt guilty. In late July though I started to itch and by late August Halloween started pushing its way into my thoughts relentlessly.

So in early September, I took the plunge and created a FB event. I started promoting it to a local FB group for moms. This morning I logged in to find that we have surpassed the 200 mark for "going"s with weeks to go. I know that not all will actually show, but I also know that we won't only get 16 either!!! I am so happy and just had to share with people who will understand my excitement. Spooky Alley.jpg

·
Registered
461 Posts
The important thing is you didn't give up! I wish you the best in the event. Remember to tease your page but not give to much away. Make them want to come to you. Over all Have fun with it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DeadED, I will remember that. I've been trying to run a balance: make it clear there is a lot to see (so people will come even though we aren't in main candy zone) while not showing too much. Some of the pic in the event make it look like a lot of display already but its only about 20% of the total and there are many things that don't go out til Halloween day. I plan on doing some "pictures" with top secret over them closer to the day to drive home the "much more to see" idea.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good idea MC It is important to show people the event is alive. Most people post one thing on the page and forget about it. If you are doing the Teal Pumpkin project, advertising that might stir up some more people.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I kind of know the feeling. We live along a freeway, so we don't have any houses across the street from us. I think for that reason alone our block gets over looked for ToT. I also put a lot of effort in our yard for decorations (more so than anyone in our neighborhood by the looks of it), so I would love it if we got more foot traffic on halloween night. However, for me it's not just about that night. That's why I put up my props and lights the first weekend of October each year. Because I know my neighbors enjoy driving by the house, walking their dog past it, walking to school while slowing down a little in front of my house to take it all in this month.

I'm not sure how early you put up your stuff, but I guarantee those who pass by your house (driving, walking the dog, jogging, biking, ect...) enjoy what you're doing....even though they won't necessarily stop over on halloween. To me, that's why I do it...because those just passing by (during those 4 weeks in Oct) always seem to enjoy the effort I put into everything. So don't stop doing what you're doing, I think you're underestimating the amount of people who are appreciative of your handy work

·
Registered
14,095 Posts
Good for you MC! I have noticed you posting again and sorry you have been so bummed out because of turnout that it kept you away. I also can understand the effort put in aspect of it. I agree with TosaTerror on not overlooking the value of those that enjoy it passing by. I know I make my husband drive around with me looking at decorated holiday houses that we never stop at but I derive a lot of pleasure from each year. I hope you have a good turn out this year. Take lots of photos and/or videos so that at least you can share a link here for members to see what you did.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DeadED, I was absolutely getting treats for kids that had allergy concerns (we have a few we know so it was already on my mind) but had NOT heard of the teal pumpkin part. Now we will do that, I will pick up an extra pumpkin to paint TODAY! Thanks so much for the info!!!

TosaTerror, I do agree with you and we start Oct 1st usually. (It was Sept 19th this year, LOL) But we have 25% that doesn't manifest until the final day... so it was just heartbreaking to not have many see the BIG SHOW. You are right though. Thanks for the pep talk.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks GoS! I promise I cherish each passerby and we have new ones this year with some new neighborhood additions.

I also got proactive... I'm fighting for what I love to do. I convinced our youngest's boyscout troop to come to our house on the Tues before Halloween for their party to "save" the other parents from having to decorate! Haha, evil grin.
AND I made "business cards" for the haunt! So now when people give me a strange look while shopping with a cart full of skulls or pumpkins, I hand them a card with the QR code that goes to the event page!
card.JPG

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I feel for ya, MC. It's a lot of effort, time, money, and most of all, love, put into the displays. Naturally, we want the most bang for our
buck attendance wise. I teared up at the little girl that kept coming back part. Glad to hear that you didn't give up, have rallied the troops, and will continue the spirit of Halloween with a spectacular
display:D Super idea with the FB page! Your story is inspiring!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My kids posted an add on Craigslist last year, and we got all kinds of odd traffic patterns. Lots of kids from 7:00-8:00, the they died off, then the car traffic started coming in and then went until almost 11:00.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bruzilla, we are halfway between 2 major streets. So we made JackoLantern signs to put up this year too. One on each road with an arrow and then one from that cross street up our road. Hoping we dont get into trouble but figure our town allows 3 yardsale signs so this is the equivalent!!! LOL They just dont have to pay for their piece of candy to take home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts