Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after making some skulls and using different methods to see what the easiest and cheapest way , concrete was the best

plaster : $2 a skull to make , the bad : hard to pour , hard clean up ,not waterproof ,breaks easy , heavy, the good : shows good detail

great stuff foam:$1 to make, the bad : shrinks some , had to use latex with it to look its best , needs the right temperature to cure,
the good: lightweight

concrete: .22 cents to make ,the bad : heavy, the good : very cheap to make ,weatherproof ,easy to mix and pour , easy clean up , does not break easy

this is the first one I made and forgot to vibrate the air bubbles out like I do on the plaster ones , it should look good once it is painted

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
How much do they weigh and where are you going to use them?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Looks good. I had made some full skulls using portland cement years ago. Ued them for the first couple then got tired of carrying those heavy things around. Now they sit in the corner of the back yard. Maybe one day I will use them again.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
So let me get this straight. The skulls are going to be the walk way, and TOT'S will walk on them ? Am I missing something ? My concern is someone stepping wrong, rolling an ankle and trouble might come your way. Maybe use them, pressed into the soil some and fill around them with sand so they don't stick up so high as to cause a problem for you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So let me get this straight. The skulls are going to be the walk way, and TOT'S will walk on them ? Am I missing something ? My concern is someone stepping wrong, rolling an ankle and trouble might come your way. Maybe use them, pressed into the soil some and fill around them with sand so they don't stick up so high as to cause a problem for you.
Deadview, you sound concerned about safety , yes people will walk on them, think cobblestone, I try to make everything safe by testing it .

I have done way worse than a walkway , people thought the homemade 2 story slide I did was a bad idea too ,to steep to fast (maybe it was :rolleyes:) but no one ever got hurt in the five years I had it

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
No problem my fellow haunter. It's just, these days, people have become sue happy. I'm sure they work out just fine. I just remember three years ago at my place a young girl came running up the driveway after being scared at the front gate and she slipped and slid about two feet and went down on her butt. She was ok but if it had come to something else I could have just heard it from her parents. 'How could you let my little girl get hurt at your haunt. We're gonna sue'! All the time I look at safety first and then scare the hell out of them second.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
deadview ,you are right how sue happy people are now a days ,safety is always my first concern that no one gets hurt , the skulls are going half way in the ground and the filled in with black sand ,I did a test with some sand to see how safe and to see how much black sand I need because it costs a lot more than plain sand ,but should look very cool

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow! That's one epic walkway. I'd be tempted to leave it in my garden year round.
I did something similar using concrete in silicone molds that I'd used for masks. They happily sit among my daffodils and primroses all year round.
2013-06-11 08.21.41-2.jpg
2013-04-26 13.33.29.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Intellagirl , the heads look great , i want to trade skulls for heads , it would only cost us about $1000 each to ship LOL

the skulls are for a permanent walkway to my 2 story haunt

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
May I make a suggestion? Turn every other skull upside down. They look as if they will mesh together for a smoother walk way like that.
If people are to be walking both ways, up & back, they will see skulls looking at them both ways then.
I made some concrete skulls then placed them in the form for my concrete exit tunnel. They just look down from "on-high", I don't point them out, but then I feel more people get a larger "Charge" from Their discovering them, maybe even a "start"!
If they don't "discover" them, it will be something New & Different" for them for next time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
annamarykahn
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing