Halloween Forum banner

Concept for High-Tech Prop

1303 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  heresjohnny
I'm a software guy that's developing a concept for a creepy portrait of a figure whose eyes follow you as you move through a room like in the old Scooby Doo cartoons. I attached an animation of what the finished product should look like but there are a lot of secret-sauce behind-the-scenes technical features to make it work. If there are any industry folks who are interested, please PM me!

Let me know what you think. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting trick but I think it would be more effective if the portrait is completely flat, otherwise the suspension of disbelief would be diminished somewhat. The technical features to achieve the effect involve facial recognition and infrared video processing.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi, OpenCV, and an IR camera for use in dark environments. It would primarily rely on facial recognition, but if that fails I'd have the servo move the eyes towards the biggest moving blob in the room. ;)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd imagine people possibly being up to 10 feet away -- I haven't worked with proximity sensors before but the range might be an issue. I don't think the computer vision approach should be too difficult and with an on-board computer I have the option of easily adding sound effects or turning it into a wifi security camera.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.