Halloween Forum banner

Concept for High-Tech Prop

1303 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  heresjohnny
I'm a software guy that's developing a concept for a creepy portrait of a figure whose eyes follow you as you move through a room like in the old Scooby Doo cartoons. I attached an animation of what the finished product should look like but there are a lot of secret-sauce behind-the-scenes technical features to make it work. If there are any industry folks who are interested, please PM me!

Let me know what you think. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
This approach would require a PC for processing behind the scenes, but if you are into .Net:
http://www.aforgenet.com/
It is an open-source image processing library. I have used it to detect objects with a webcam in real time.
Many of the examples out there deal with color filtering, but if you could control the ambient lighting in the webcam's view, you could use "blob detection" only.
-Mike

· Registered
30 Posts
How far away do you imagine people would be from this in the typical scene?
These IR proximity sensors can see out to about 5 feet. You could position 2 of them at 45 degree angles fanning out in front of the picture. You could then poll the 2 analog voltages from the 2 sensors, compare them, then calculate the best position for the eyes to look.
That might be a simple approach without needing to get too fancy.
-Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.