Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I'm not too stupid when it comes to computers ..but my recent meltdowns are starting to make me real mad..my comp is real slow loading anything ..internet , programs ,games it dosent matter.i click on something and it takes me 15 min(not streaching the truth) to load anything...all my chaches are empty and i have no bugs or viriuses...my guess is my hard drive is gonna go real soon..it was making a bell ringing sound the other day... then the blue screen of death...I just want to know if anyone else has had this happen ? and if so when i get a new hard drive .. how do i transfer all my data to the new drive ...my floppy disk is junk so... i don't think it could hold all the pics and games i have stored...and no my comp isnt overrun with crap LOL..sorry just looking for a little help..i know some people here are very smart with computers..would it be worth my time or should I just go and have it it done at a computer shop?
thanks for any responce in advance
childofthenight/aka gonna kill my computer

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
I do believe you can remove your old hard drive and install it in the new computer or just transfer the files from that hard drive but they will have to be both conected to the computer. My computer crashed but I have not been able to install the old hard drive into the new computer. My computer literate friend has told my to just install it into the new computer and windows will recognize it has a new hard drive and will be able to transfer the files. That is if the hard drive isn't damaged.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The first thing I would do is to run the check disk program. If you go into windows explorer and right click the hard drive, select properties, then choose the tools tab. Choose the Check Now button and see what you get. You might also want to defrag the drive. That is in the same place as the Check Now option.
You could try to reload Windows from the original CDs. You'll have to reload your apps and all your files such as pic files, song files and other documents. You'll need to save that stuff off first. Either save them to a CD or DVD if you have a CD or DVD burner. If not, there are some internet services that let you copy files off line. You can use something like MozyHome. Here is a link there..... https://mozy.com/registration/unlimited?ref=3f9a896b&kbid=13245&m=12
Unless you have a backup disk, which most people do not, then restoring your system is very labor intensive, but not impossible.
Just ask if you have any more questions.

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
I would take it to a computer shop, just to be sure. I have Norton Anti-Virus and McAfee Security that runs on my computer, but the viruses are getting harder to detect these days. I recently took mine to Best Buy for a checkup, and they found 6 viruses that the programs couldnt find, one of them was a Trojan Horse, which, if you dont know, is almost permanent, but they could remove this type of Trojan, thank god. But if I hadn't taken it in, who knows what wouldve happened, it might have gotten worse.

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
I dread to think what is lurking in my computer, I have had it 7 years, still works pretty well. I backed up my pictures on an external harddrive. I am gonna milk out every drop of life this one has.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm assuming you're running a windows OS. First things first... Run the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. I don't know how many people don't do this on a regular basis-- if you don't clean it out your system resources slowly get used up. Depending on how long it's been since your last defrag, the size of your hard drive (HD), and the speed of your processor it could take a while.

Once that's done, I'd run a spyware program like "AdAware" (It's free-- just google it). Then, I'd run an anti-virus program if you have one.

Once you're done, reboot.

If you're using Internet Explorer as a browser, that tends to bog your system down. Also, if you have several programs (such as Quicktime, AIM, ICQ, Skype, etc) load when you start your computer change the settings so they don't load when you boot up your computer.

If you do all of the above semi-regularly and your HD is +4 years old, then you might want to look into getting a new HD-- especially if it's making a clicking noise of sorts.

If you don't have a burner to use to backup files, you CAN set up a master-slave system-- the new, formatted drive should be set to "master" and the old drive to "slave" (there should be a sticker explaining how to set the jumper-- a little piece of plastic and metal that spans two "pegs" on the back of the drive). Newer computers should recognize the old (slave) drive immediately. You should be able to copy files over to the new drive that way... though, if your HD crashes before then, your chances of restoring the drive and recovering your files lessen. (To Restore a drive, set it up as a slave drive. In "My Computer" right click on the drive and select "Restore".... not exactly what it says, but you'll find it if you look.)

... just a tip, when you back things up make sure you backup your "favorites" file (internet bookmarks) and I always do "Fonts" because I have a lot of unique fonts on my computer.

G'luck.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
You could buy a new drive and a drive copy software that will transfer everything to the new drive. (Works great if your problem is a failing hard disk or you've just ran out of space and need a bigger drive.) However, if you have tons of adware/trojans they just get transfered to the new drive along with all your problem.

Another option is to install a new drive with a clean copy of windows, add your old drive as a slave or second drive and just copy the files you want over with windows explorer.

This biggest issues I see on peoples computers are trojans. Some of these are such SOB's that if you try to remove them, they recreate themselves. My guess is your computer is loaded with these and that is causing your slow down issues. As Jadewik suggested, see if you can get AdWare or Sypbot or Malewarebytes (these are all free programs) and should help some of your problems.

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you all for the help..my comp is old but i defrag weekly and run all scans the same day....I think I'm gonna transfer my main drive to a slave..i'll just take out the one I put in as a slave...I think i'll start fresh with a new XP program and just transfer my pics and favorites...
every thing happened so suddenly so i figure its not just due to age
thank you all for the support..i'll post and let ya know how it goes.
oh and heres the specs of my comp for MM LOL
1.5 ghz pentium4 processor
256mb ram
40 gb harddrive
128mb graphics card
16 sound card
4gb slave hard drive..used only for virtual memory
and i have 25% space left on my main hard drive
and yesss I do want to update my ram ..LOL

·
Registered
605 Posts
Take it and have it looked at. Our computer was bogged down really bad and we had anti virus software and still we had, no joke, over 2000 little bugs in the computer. Our computer guy called us special just to tell us that and we both just about died. We thought we were so careful. These little viruses are getting sneakier and lots harder to detect.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
thank you all for the help..my comp is old but i defrag weekly and run all scans the same day....I think I'm gonna transfer my main drive to a slave..i'll just take out the one I put in as a slave...I think i'll start fresh with a new XP program and just transfer my pics and favorites...
every thing happened so suddenly so i figure its not just due to age
thank you all for the support..i'll post and let ya know how it goes.
oh and heres the specs of my comp for MM LOL
1.5 ghz pentium4 processor
256mb ram
40 gb harddrive
128mb graphics card
16 sound card
4gb slave hard drive..used only for virtual memory
and i have 25% space left on my main hard drive
and yesss I do want to update my ram ..LOL
Well I just had someone bring me their pc yesterday cause it was no longer working...... Hard drive was completely failed! No longer boots at all. They said is was getting slower and slower and making sounds before it died.....

As long as you're replacing the hard drive, also replace/add memory.... Microsoft claims XP works with 256mb RAM minimum but you'll she a huge performance increase if you bump the RAM up to 1Gig! :D And memory isn't that expensive anymore.

Look for a larger hard drive too. They say for optimum performance on a hard disk is to never go past 50% full.

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i have found a few things on the comp..took me a while and a few programs to find them
here thay are and I cant remove them..
huntbar..touch it and it duplicates itself
websearch tool bar... a hijacker..although you dont see a bar its hidden in my H key
and a trojian vundo b also cant be removed
wintools
nocreditcarddialer
ok there it is ..chances are i ve had these sneeky little punks hiding in there for a long time
anyone know how to get rid of these ?
anyone reading this take some time and look you might have them too
thanks

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
ok i have found a few things on the comp..took me a while and a few programs to find them
here thay are and I cant remove them..
huntbar..touch it and it duplicates itself
websearch tool bar... a hijacker..although you dont see a bar its hidden in my H key
and a trojian vundo b also cant be removed
wintools
nocreditcarddialer
ok there it is ..chances are i ve had these sneeky little punks hiding in there for a long time
anyone know how to get rid of these ?
anyone reading this take some time and look you might have them too
thanks
Don't know how much you want to play with the registry and stuff but some of these are real SOB's to get rid of as you're finding out. I had one on my wife's computer that no matter what I did to remove it, it just kept coming back. I ended up writing a visual basic program that did nothing but open and close itself, renamed it to match the virus/trojan file and registered. I can see it keep trying to run the trojan (now my file) so I figure that solved that problem.

Sometimes it best just to start over fresh, reformat and re-install windows. In your case, I would just suggest buying a new drive, and install your old drive as a slave. That way you can still find all your data files, but you'll have a new clean install of windows to work from.

Don't know what software you used so far, but I use "Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6" and "Malwarebytes" and they seem to do a good job on removing 99% of the crap I find on peoples computers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts