Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have competition with your display in your neighborhood. Not the kick your stuff over while your sleeping competition but some open that does the same. I have one but it works out for both of us. one hes on the other side of the neighborhood and He is the everything store bought kind of guy and i'm the everything made from my hands kind of guy. so the Halloween fans get the best from both worlds. And me too I love his stuff. Just the kids who trick or treat tell me his stuffs better they get the orange and black candy nobody likes and when the kids say my stuffs better they get full candy bars ( kidding )

·
Suburban Sorceress
753 Posts
No competition in this neighborhood! I'd love it if someone else wanted to step up with a full display, or even if more people would put out some spiderwebs. But there's also something amazing about being "that house" that all the kids talk about!

G

·
I have a neighbor house across the street that does gore style haunt every year while we do a spooky style haunt. This was a great mix for kids but as of today she told me she is not haunting her house with us as they cant keep up with over 1000 TOTs on Halloween night. The candy alone is breaking their bank. Sadly they said they are blacking out the lights and hiding in the back of the house...BOO to them. So as of this year I have no other haunts in a couple mile radias.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nope no competition around here. From what I know I am the only house in this area that puts up a display. I wish others would I think it would be fun to see. But like what Halloween Scream says "There's something amazing about being "THAT HOUSE" that all the kids talk about" & will remember and talk about for the rest of their lives come Halloween.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I do have a neighbor not really competition but we both love the holiday. Unfortunately she got sick, she was operated a couple of weeks ago, don't know if she is decorating this year. It is just me and her in our neighborhood circle. She always has stuff up before me nothing. This year in a way to me it just does not feel the same. Every year our TOTs always come to our area specifically for our houses. I too was sick, got a back injury last month and slowly slowly, very slowly have been setting up. I think about the TOTS faces (happy/scared/terrified/crying (lol)) keeps me going.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
None in the neighborhood or in the entire town. I would welcome it though!

·
My Wonderland is in Ruins
660 Posts
The Housing office has one for the entire base every year. I had one of the housing office reps stop by yesterday while i was painting my mosoleum stones in the driveway. (thought I was in trouble). He said he hasn't seen too many, but we do have some competition, the biggest we have that I know of is a neighbor that has all store bought stuff and really nice stuff. Most of ours is homemade, or really old. Lol. But we both fenced our front yards out for a graveyard. I've been tempted to go and knock on their door and ask if they're members on the forum. :)

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
The Housing office has one for the entire base every year. I had one of the housing office reps stop by yesterday while i was painting my mosoleum stones in the driveway. (thought I was in trouble). He said he hasn't seen too many, but we do have some competition, the biggest we have that I know of is a neighbor that has all store bought stuff and really nice stuff. Most of ours is homemade, or really old. Lol. But we both fenced our front yards out for a graveyard. I've been tempted to go and knock on their door and ask if they're members on the forum. :)
Stupid wars have really cut into decorating on the local base. When I lived there, I had the same neighbor for 4 years and it was fun to push each other to raise the bar

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
I wish we had a competition...it gets tough when mostly it's you pushing ... You. Local newspapers should start competitions and people would get involved. Or better yet Home Depot or Lowe's should, since they benefit!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing that stinks between my competition and myself is we both wait till the last minute to put out our stuff. so people only enjoy it for 48 yours or so.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think there is one other house in our area (not neighbourhood) that does a yard haunt (I heard a rumor that the fellow may have died so the haunt may be no more). I live in Stittsville, which is the west part of Ottawa. Lots of folks put out small stuff, but we go all out. However, my neighbourhood is very tiny, only about 140 homes, there are no through streets, so even though we do a pretty good yard haunt, only a few people know about it. I have resisted the route of the newspapers and tv to get folks here. The other yard haunt did, and was in a huge neighbourhood, so he got lots of people there. I consider my place a bit of a hidden gem :) I don't think I want it to be overrun with people or the possiblity of vandalism.

Sheila in Ottawa

·
My Wonderland is in Ruins
660 Posts
Stupid wars have really cut into decorating on the local base. When I lived there, I had the same neighbor for 4 years and it was fun to push each other to raise the bar
I have noticed a bit of craziness with some of my neighbors decorating. I've decorated every year regardless of where we had to move. I would have gone all out whether there was a competition or not. :) I love driving around the neighborhood in the evening seeing what everyone has put up, it makes me all the more excited about the countdown til Halloween. I was hoping that the one particular neighbor was a forum member (I don't know a lot of people and it would be awesome to have someone else to hang out with and talk Halloween)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I took a drive around our neighborhood last night. Not too much out. Only other person who goes crazy like we do it "the glow stick lady".

·
Registered
230 Posts
Has anyone considered contacting their local township and asking them to run a contest? In our township, we have a township sponsored Christmas lights competition. I can't wait to call them today and tell them to stop discriminating! :) Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i WONDER MYSELF IF MY MAIN COMPETITION IS A FORUM MEMBER BECAUSE HE USES ALL THE CLASSIC PROPS, CRANK GHOST, SHAKING CRATE ETC.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,963 Posts
Not much competition in my neck of the woods. Trunk or treat, and 2 malls have killed the TOTing. But I still decorate for the few that come by.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wish. Looks like we're the only ones in the whole subdivision doing more than a few spiderwebs on the bushes. It would be a blast to get some of the neighbors in on it. Hmmm. Have to figure out how to do that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
There are several houses in my neighborhood that put forth more effort than the standard orange lights, cobwebs and carved pumpkins. One guy has a garage walk through and another builds a maze in his front yard. But none can compare to what I put together. I like being "that house" with the family that "over decorates" (excuse me it's called a "display" with "props," not "decorations").

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
I'm the only house that puts on a full display. The other houses have your avrage spider webs and pumpkins. Nothing at my house goes out till halloween day so people only enjoy it for about 5 hours. I love the attention our house gets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts