Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a self contained compact turning mechanism based off of our Watchman mechanism. It uses a 6 RPM deer style 110 VAC gear motor. I designed all of the parts and had them cut out of 1/16" aluminum. Overall it is 4x8 inches. This is an alternative method for turning props like a leering skeleton rather than using rods and linkage that can bind.

Let me know what you think. Going forward we are hoping to be able to offer some prop "modules" such as this that are more universal for building any variety of props. :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Great idea. I will need a few. My linkages were barely surviving, and I already knew I needed something different next year. Any idea on price? What about the motor? I know you mentioned a deer motor but I can't see if that's what you are using in there. Thanks.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only had 2 machined (as prototypes) just to put a couple together to test so I didn't do any definite cost on them yet. I know they would be under $50 and will include the motor which is basically a deer motor, yes. :) These are assembled with many of the same parts we use in our life sized kits and should run a long time.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Really nice! Much more compact. Another excellent addition to your line.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes! I was going to write you and ask about this very thing since I already have a couple of the full body joint kits that I want to make turn like this but you only had the full motor/body kits on the website. I may have to McGyver my body kits a bit to make this work but I think it can be done!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great looking turner, Diabolik!
Nice variation on the "quick-return" mechanism.

Looks very well built.
Thanks Dave. Some of the hardware is probably overkill, but it is all stuff we already stock outside of the machined parts so it makes good sense to build that way rather than starting out using all new parts. Not that we have needed them to this point, but we do have replacement parts for everything we sell. We plan on supporting all of our products as long as we are still here. :)

Yes! I was going to write you and ask about this very thing since I already have a couple of the full body joint kits that I want to make turn like this but you only had the full motor/body kits on the website. I may have to McGyver my body kits a bit to make this work but I think it can be done!
I am thinking this mech could be used for a lot of things. :) going forward you will probably see more "modules" like this rather than just bits and pieces of hardware.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much weight can this handle? Can it handle a Costco style skeleton torso?
The bearing we use is rated for 200lbs of downforce. As long as you support the pipe leading from the mechanism to the skeleton torso at some point, it think it should have no problems turning it. :) if you were to seat your skeleton on top of say a coffin and drilled a hole through the wood on the top of it for the pipe to pass through and keep it relatively straight, you'd be fine. These bearings are not designed to be side loaded.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted to post a quick follow up on this mechanism. We made a couple of tweaks to the design and built a batch of them. They are now on our site. I think these will work really well for props like a leering skeleton or anything else that you want to turn. They will handle a fair amount of weight as long as the load is balanced and the spine is properly supported.

I am looking forward to seeing where they end up. :)

http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/Compact-Prop-Turner-_p_46.html

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Compact and rubust! The bearing system you use will definitely support a lot of straight downforce/weight and move smoothly!
That looks like an excellent addition to your line. I am looking forward to pricing info.

Keep these great products coming!

Eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts