Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are coming to Florida for a holiday in August, and I am so excited to be visiting. We are staying on Disney and as part of our holiday on one of our excursions, there is a stop off at the Wal-Mart Supercentre and Florida Mall. I have always to 'Halloween Shop' in the US as you have such a huge range compared to the UK and I am sure I could get some great ideas as well:D. I have heard you guys talk about Wal-Mart before and i wondered does it have Halloween stuff for sale all year round or only at a specific time? It is very limited in the UK and only comes on sale around September. Also, are there any other stores that would be worth a look whilst I'm there? My Hubby and Daughter are now terrified at the thought of the extra baggage that may be coming home with us......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Your going to be disappointed with the Halloween selections I. August as they won't exist, but with going to Disneyworld, you still may have a lot of stuff coming home. We are just wrapping up our Disney, like goland, universal trip, and are definitely going home more packed than we came. Fair warning, Florida in August is very hot. It's also very busy in the parks. If your daughter is young, be sure to get fantasyland done early in the day as it always gets long lines in the afternoon. Take advantage of extra magic hours if your staying in a Disney resort as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1 for Icepick's statements. August will be oppressively hot and humid, be prepared. Luckily, there are lots of air conditioned, indoor venues. Walmart won't have Halloween until mid September but you can find costume and decoration shops around the area. Google them ahead of your trip and plan for some extra time.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
HI Sharonr3106
Me and the wifee went to florida last oct for halloween harror night 26 and it was fricking awsome, if you can visit a spirit of halloween store they have some amazing stuff, only wish we could have a store over here or something as cheap and amazing. They have a massive sale on 1st/2nd nov which if i could have afforded a container i would have filled it and shipped back here lol.... We still managed to spend £250 in sale. Hope you & family have a great time like we did, parks are amazing Jammy yanks...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Icepick. I kind of had this idea that as Halloween is much bigger in the US than it is here that the stores would have things in earlier than us, but sounds like it's about the same:( I am bracing myself for the heat :cool:I would have preferred to come later in the year, but I work Mon-Fri and Hubby works shifts so this was the only two weeks that we get time off together. My Daughter is 17, and is totally focused on the new Avatar land and Harry Potter ride at Universal! Oh well, as reality hits that my mega Halloween shop isn't going to happen, Hubby suddenly has this look of joy of on his face.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks for the info Icepick. I kind of had this idea that as Halloween is much bigger in the US than it is here that the stores would have things in earlier than us, but sounds like it's about the same:( I am bracing myself for the heat :cool:I would have preferred to come later in the year, but I work Mon-Fri and Hubby works shifts so this was the only two weeks that we get time off together. My Daughter is 17, and is totally focused on the new Avatar land and Harry Potter ride at Universal! Oh well, as reality hits that my mega Halloween shop isn't going to happen, Hubby suddenly has this look of joy of on his face.......:rolleyes:
If your doing universal and island of adventure, go with the park hopper option. That way you can also get to ride the train between the two. My family and I are big "disnerds" but have to confess, we were blown away by the attention to detail at universal and island of adventure!! Some people complain that universal uses to many simulator type rides, but I have to say, they do them second to no one!! You won't be disappointed with any (I don't think you will) and " escape from gringotts" was amazing!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
The later in August the BETER, the stores change over from "Back to School" to Halloween, depending when the schools reopen.
I don't know when FL goes back to school, but sure a southern member will speak out.
Spirit Stores tend to open "Labor Day" weekend, this year September 2,3&4, BUT some open prior, as early as the start of August.
However, the Marshall, HomeGoods and TJ Max (search for old threads), maybe a great visit in FL in August, again southern members should be able to help.
And lastly I think there is one or 2 year round Halloween (not Spirit) stores in FL from a previous thread a year or two ago, again search old threads.
(if I was any good at it I would search for you, but not my strong skill)
good luck with the visit and shopping
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you have a smart phone make sure you download the mydisney app, make an account, and synchronize your tickets. Make sure you understand how fast passes work, and schedule your first 3 fast passes for each day at least a week ahead of time if you can. You can get additional fast passes, and check wait times for rides with the app. Wait times for rides tend to fluctuate for all but the most popular rides, you can work around wait times if you want. You said you will be at a resort at Disney, make sure you take advantage of the extra hours for residents. They are opened late in August, I like to be at the parks in the morning and evening, and take a break during the hottest, and busiest time of day. It rains a lot in the afternoon in Florida, I suggest getting some cheap disposable rain parkas from Walmart and keeping them handy. Finally, being a haunter, I love to take a bunch of rides on the haunted mansion and pirates of the Caribbean towards the end of the day, using the app to get a fast pass as soon as you use the one you have, avoiding much of the lines.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,714 Posts
WalMart is similar to an ASDA (and is actually owned by Walmart). So they do seasonal stuff but only really near the actual seasons.

Keep an eye out on the General Halloween section for the Halloween sightings threads (they'll usually say something like "Hobby Lobby 2017" or similar) for the various stores. August is kind of early for places like Walmart, but you might be able to get some stuff at places like Michaels (a large-ish craft store), Hobby Lobby (same thing), and maybe might see something at a restaurant called Cracker Barrel. It's southern US food and they have some nice seasonal stuff that does tend ot come out a bit earlier than regular stores. Oh! And maybe JoAnn Fabrics. Those are the ones that I remember seeing early in the year (Michaels starts putting fall stuff and crows/owls out in July!)

If you do find something, Michaels, HobbyLobby or JoAnns, all have apps that should have coupons that will give you around 20% off the purchase of one non sales item, sometimes even better ones. I believe that they all take competitor coupons, so if you find a coupon at Hobby Lobby, you can use that at JoAnns or Michaels (but do check to confirm before trying this).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Jerseyscare..I am going to search and google as we speak...I will find a Halloween store:)....watch this space

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Frankie's Girl, I am going to have a good google session...it would seem my American Halloween Shopping Dream is turning into an American Horror Story...I may just have to settle for Mickey Mouse ears:eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I could do that Tomslick66, however, given I have already started on my Haunted Mansion theme I don't think telling him I am now diverting to a wizardy world would go down to well:eek: ( he has already had to move his bike from the garage to accommodate my creations!)

·
Harbinger of Autumn
1,820 Posts
The Hobby Lobbies here in Central Florida have started putting out their fall stuff already. Leaves hay bales and funkins are on the shelf and yes it is only May! They are always going to be on the milder side of Halloween but you can find stuff there. There are some year round Halloween shops towards the outlets on International Drive which is right by Universal.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
First, welcome to Florida! Second, don't give up hope! First, Universal Studios is the home of the Universal Monsters (Creature/Black Lagoon, Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy, Wolfman, etc.) and there are shops at Universal Studios that sell Monsters products all year round, so you can buy lots of horror movie and monster decorations while you're there.

Second, there are a lot of Thrift Stores in the Orlando area, and many of these often have lots of Halloween items. I don't know if the UK has these, but these are stores where people donate items and they are sold to raise money for charities. I sweep through the stores here in Jacksonville, FL every few months just to see what gems have popped up. I find a lot of newer Halloween items, but what I look for is older decorations from the 50s to the 70s.

Third, we have a thing called Craigslist. Go to www.craigslist.com, and find the Craigslist for Orlando, FL. Just do a search for Halloween in the For Sale section and you'll find a vast array of Halloween items people are selling. You'll find people selling individual pieces up to whole collections of items. Also check the Craigslist pages for surrounding areas like Tampa and Daytona Beach.

Believe me... you use those three sources and you can be shipping crates of Halloween items back to the UK, and items that are a lot better than the crap you find at Walmart. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts