Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bringing the grandsons to the USA for October. Road trip from West to East and back. Lots of Halloween plans but would really like to stay over in a small town to experience the real trick or treat night for the kids. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I arrive in LA then need to go to Nth Carolina via where ever I want. Coming back I can go northward or south just depends on where I want to be for Halloween. Am open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I arrive in LA then need to go to Nth Carolina via where ever I want. Coming back I can go northward or south just depends on where I want to be for Halloween. Am open to any suggestions.
I don't want to start any arguments but I love New England:
New York has Sleepy Hollow, all of Connecticut's beautiful Pruitan grave yards & never forget Salem Massachusetts.

Further South: Charlston South Carolina, Savannah Georgia (several magnificent graveyards dot the South) Saint Augustine in Florida then drive west New Orleans in Louisiana

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far my must do is Disney, Salem and Charlston. But all these I can do throughout the month. Want the kids to dress up and go door knocking like we see in the movies. Or am I being too naive. Might put sleepy hollow on the must do list.

·
Registered
848 Posts
So far my must do is Disney, Salem and Charlston. But all these I can do throughout the month. Want the kids to dress up and go door knocking like we see in the movies. Or am I being too naive. Might put sleepy hollow on the must do list.
I don't think its naive to want to have them trick or treat. You should just figure out where you'll be & work it from there.

Sleepy Hollow is near Terrytown in the Hudson Vally. It's one of my favorite places but it is a small town. If you are there in October it will be nicely decorated

·
Registered
541 Posts
You could hit up Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Disney for the Halloween atmosphere AND trick-or-treating before the big day! (Plus, the parade, shows, special foods, and photo ops). Get an extra night out of the costumes!

·
Registered
125 Posts
and take a spare empty suitcase. USA has soooo much more Halloween stuff than us poor Aussies. :D
I purchased a prop online and had it sent to a friend in the USA and picked it up from him when I was there last year. Saved myself over $100 in shipping.
Stupidly I went late September and missed all the Halloween displays, but did go to Disneyland LA which was in full Halloween mode :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and take a spare empty suitcase. USA has soooo much more Halloween stuff than us poor Aussies. :D
I purchased a prop online and had it sent to a friend in the USA and picked it up from him when I was there last year. Saved myself over $100 in shipping.
Stupidly I went late September and missed all the Halloween displays, but did go to Disneyland LA which was in full Halloween mode :)
I've already got plans to go into a Halloween spending frenzie. 🤑

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,533 Posts
It seems to be out of the way, but I heard of a place in Michigan. It's called Tillson St in Romeo, MI north of Detroit. It's supposedly a whole street of people who go all out. I've never been there, but the videos look cool. Google it and you'll find tons of videos and pics...

·
Registered
395 Posts
A lot of towns have "that street" or "that cul de sac" or whatever, where a lot of the neighbors do up the decorating bigtime. Even a relatively small city like where I live has some amazing places to take your kids for a slice of good old trick-'r-treating. It IS different nowadays as compared to when I was a kid in the 70's. That's just how it is. But you can still have a fun time. Hopefully, whatever town you wind up in that night, you can get the dirt on that particular street where they really celebrate with style. Social media might help with the search. 🦇

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
I would guess your coasts are the best bets for that hollywood type of door to door, though a lot of areas have pockets of that. If you happen to be in Utah, my neighborhood gets a lot of people coming in from surrounding areas for that. Yes, I might be the biggest decorator, but most everyone in the neighborhood answers the door and give decent to good hand outs, so my neighbors don't exactly slouch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems to be out of the way, but I heard of a place in Michigan. It's called Tillson St in Romeo, MI north of Detroit. It's supposedly a whole street of people who go all out. I've never been there, but the videos look cool. Google it and you'll find tons of videos and pics...

Thank you will defiantly follow that one up.

Thank you Joker. Just googled the place and that's pretty much exactly what I was hoping to experience. Yipee !
I would guess your coasts are the best bets for that hollywood type of door to door, though a lot of areas have pockets of that. If you happen to be in Utah, my neighborhood gets a lot of people coming in from surrounding areas for that. Yes, I might be the biggest decorator, but most everyone in the neighborhood answers the door and give decent to good hand outs, so my neighbors don't exactly slouch.
I'm starting to realize I will be spoilt for choice. So looking forward to coming.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would suggest my neighborhood just outside Los Angeles but you will be here too early since you are starting on the west coast. The neighborhood across from mine gets literally THOUSANDS of kids. The "high street" closes down to all but pedestrian traffic and the shops hand out candy. Then, when that is over, everyone walks to the streets just south of there. Houses are decorated, people are showing movies outside, neighbors are partying together and there are TONS of trick-or-treaters. PS - don't know if they still do the rides. This was a few years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm bringing the grandsons to the USA for October. Road trip from West to East and back. Lots of Halloween plans but would really like to stay over in a small town to experience the real trick or treat night for the kids. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Such fun!
That is a very long trip with kids...glad you have a month to do it in.
I would suggest, because of the time of year, to do a more direct route. You'll be crossing at least 7 or 8 states as it is:
California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee etc. Once in Tennessee you'll be nearer to Kentucky and once in North Carolina....south Carolina isn't too far away etc.
I would google "Halloween/Harvest/Fall Events" in those states to get you started once you have your map. Many start promoting their events by mid summer so you can fine tune your trip and maybe go north a bit.
Happy traveling to you!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are going to be in North Carolina, might I suggest my neighborhood in Raleigh. While Raleigh is a fairly large city, there are numerous suburban neighborhoods within that have a blast on Halloween. We're typically good for 400 plus Trick or Treaters, and there are many people in the area (including me) who do their houses up for the occasion. There are also several local attractions such as Clayton Fear Farm and Fall Pumpkin and Harvest Festival at Hill Ridge Farms that are great fun, especially for first-timers. If you're interested, I'd be happy to give you more information, and your family is welcome to tag along with mine here in the neighborhood. Here's part of my porch welcoming committee. They change every year. So does the yard. Please give some thought to Raleigh. We'd love to have you and the kiddos! Just leave the Vegemite at home!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Such fun!
That is a very long trip with kids...glad you have a month to do it in.
I would suggest, because of the time of year, to do a more direct route. You'll be crossing at least 7 or 8 states as it is:
California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee etc. Once in Tennessee you'll be nearer to Kentucky and once in North Carolina....south Carolina isn't too far away etc.
I would google "Halloween/Harvest/Fall Events" in those states to get you started once you have your map. Many start promoting their events by mid summer so you can fine tune your trip and maybe go north a bit.
Happy traveling to you!!!
Thanks all info appreciated. Yep already expect some stressful moments to occur. Being Australian am used to long distant drives.

1,230 Posts
Having driven Seattle to the east coast a number of times my BIGGEST suggestion is leave yourself plenty of time. You lose time traveling east from the time changes. Also travel times by google maps are not realistic. No way anyone sightseeing travels an average of 70 MPH with no overnight naps, potty or food stops never mind seeing the sights. Plus it never takes into account the traffic. Lost several hours trying to get through Chicago once and I was born there and knew some shortcuts. Don't forget a BIG school holiday here Columbus Day in mid Oct. We forgot and got into Gaitlinburg TN for what we hoped a quiet off season checking out the Smokie Mts. Instead the place was a zoo of familys having a 3 day weekend.

Other thing we didn't take into account our first coast to coast drive was TOLLS. Ended up costing up BIG time. If taking a more northern route once you hit Illinois the highways become tollways. Every State seems to have their own version of a toll pass. The days of tossing a few coins in the basket are gone so do some research so you know which state have tolls and how you plan on paying for tolls.

I wasn't as impressed with Salem, MA as I'd hoped. Loved the cemeteries but the rest was on the cheesier side of cheese but your mileage my vary. Some people just can't get enough of the place. I VOTE for a stop in Sleepy Hollow. If you time it right and get to see the storyteller in the Old Dutch Church go for it as it's a must. The cemetery is impressive and the Great Jack O'Lantern Blaze in a nearby town so fun.

Many years ago we did Knott's Scary Farms, near Disneyland. Older kids might love it. If you go do it as early in Oct as possible and not on a weekend. The crowds so ruined the effect for us when we did a Friday night once.

No suggestion for where to go for a normal US trick or treat experience.

Have a great time take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are going to be in North Carolina, might I suggest my neighborhood in Raleigh. While Raleigh is a fairly large city, there are numerous suburban neighborhoods within that have a blast on Halloween. We're typically good for 400 plus Trick or Treaters, and there are many people in the area (including me) who do their houses up for the occasion. There are also several local attractions such as Clayton Fear Farm and Fall Pumpkin and Harvest Festival at Hill Ridge Farms that are great fun, especially for first-timers. If you're interested, I'd be happy to give you more information, and your family is welcome to tag along with mine here in the neighborhood. Here's part of my porch welcoming committee. They change every year. So does the yard. Please give some thought to Raleigh. We'd love to have you and the kiddos! Just leave the Vegemite at home! View attachment 727984
Thank you and i
If you are going to be in North Carolina, might I suggest my neighborhood in Raleigh. While Raleigh is a fairly large city, there are numerous suburban neighborhoods within that have a blast on Halloween. We're typically good for 400 plus Trick or Treaters, and there are many people in the area (including me) who do their houses up for the occasion. There are also several local attractions such as Clayton Fear Farm and Fall Pumpkin and Harvest Festival at Hill Ridge Farms that are great fun, especially for first-timers. If you're interested, I'd be happy to give you more information, and your family is welcome to tag along with mine here in the neighborhood. Here's part of my porch welcoming committee. They change every year. So does the yard. Please give some thought to Raleigh. We'd love to have you and the kiddos! Just leave the Vegemite at home! View attachment 727984
Thank you. If we end up at Railegh it would be great to have the kids trick or treat with locals. They are 3 boys ages 9, 12,&13
Having driven Seattle to the east coast a number of times my BIGGEST suggestion is leave yourself plenty of time. You lose time traveling east from the time changes. Also travel times by google maps are not realistic. No way anyone sightseeing travels an average of 70 MPH with no overnight naps, potty or food stops never mind seeing the sights. Plus it never takes into account the traffic. Lost several hours trying to get through Chicago once and I was born there and knew some shortcuts. Don't forget a BIG school holiday here Columbus Day in mid Oct. We forgot and got into Gaitlinburg TN for what we hoped a quiet off season checking out the Smokie Mts. Instead the place was a zoo of familys having a 3 day weekend.

Other thing we didn't take into account our first coast to coast drive was TOLLS. Ended up costing up BIG time. If taking a more northern route once you hit Illinois the highways become tollways. Every State seems to have their own version of a toll pass. The days of tossing a few coins in the basket are gone so do some research so you know which state have tolls and how you plan on paying for tolls.

I wasn't as impressed with Salem, MA as I'd hoped. Loved the cemeteries but the rest was on the cheesier side of cheese but your mileage my vary. Some people just can't get enough of the place. I VOTE for a stop in Sleepy Hollow. If you time it right and get to see the storyteller in the Old Dutch Church go for it as it's a must. The cemetery is impressive and the Great Jack O'Lantern Blaze in a nearby town so fun.

Many years ago we did Knott's Scary Farms, near Disneyland. Older kids might love it. If you go do it as early in Oct as possible and not on a weekend. The crowds so ruined the effect for us when we did a Friday night once.

No suggestion for where to go for a normal US trick or treat experience.

Have a great time take lots of pictures.
Photos will be aplenty.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts