Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listmates:

I would like to sculpt a skull in clay attached to the front of a funkin (a craft pumpkin), basically using the funkin in place of the base head used for most masks to make a one piece mold. Could I use the basic the process of making a two piece mold out of plaster and cast it in latex like a mask? I read somewhere that you should only cast in plaster on clay not on other materials. Except I intend to fill it with two part foam within the latex for use on a pop-up.

Thanks

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I've made plaster molds before using foam as a base, but I made certain I had coated the foam in a few coats of paint to seal it up well, and used lots of mold release (petroleum jelly worked well for me).

The advantage to clay is that it will remain pliable (if your using an oil clay), so removing it from the plaster mold won't be more difficult than pulling out, and maybe picking out some scraps in the tight spots.

Just be certain to add plenty of fiber to the plaster mold when you're laying it on - plaster really is quite fragile without something to strengthen it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts