Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg
So here's a pic (if it actually uploaded)
I wanted a brickish look, but was always thinking it would look like cut stone. Initial plan was gray, but I'm thinking yellowish tan limestone, for two reAsons. One, most of the old cemeteries in northeast Ohio are made from that (which is where I am located) and.... There are so many grey ones on the forum already. They look great! But I was thinking originality. My thought is this- should I just do gray or go for it? I won't have time or budget to re-paint before Halloween. What do you guys think!?

·
Registered
259 Posts
They look great! Can't wait to see them when you get finished. BTW, its very cool that you're in Willowick, Ohio. I'm down in Akron. When you get everything set up, would love to see it in person. Keep up the great work. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just dawned on me..... Go gray, with drylock gray tinted. It will give me a much better idea what it will look like. Then, I I'm not a fan of the look, I can paint the "bricks" to te yellowish tan. I would want darker "mortar" anyways, so I'd need the gray anyways!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I use a sandstone coloured textured exterior masonry paint. (I'm not sure what drylok is, although I see it mentioned often on the forum. Maybe it's sold under another brand name here in the UK). It's pretty water tight when dry, and like annamarykhan says, you can easily paint or spray over it if you don't like the colour, whilst keeping the texture.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like your idea of painting something recognizable for your locale- but the others ideas of tinted drylock might work for this year and if you want to upgrade for next year you can go with the blond brick look. You obviously put a lot of effort into making those columns and protecting them for the inevitable rainy weather is a good idea.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,128 Posts
I use a sandstone coloured textured exterior masonry paint. (I'm not sure what drylok is, although I see it mentioned often on the forum. Maybe it's sold under another brand name here in the UK). It's pretty water tight when dry, and like annamarykhan says, you can easily paint or spray over it if you don't like the colour, whilst keeping the texture.
Its water based masonry paint...ok for foam.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so... if I had to do it again the things I would change... Ugh. It took 4 hours to paint 4.5 columns!!!! The "bricks" are too deep in some cases, and too close together in others, making filling all the nooks and crannies a little difficult. Only 1��1.5 left. But, now that some of them are gray, I can see that my vision will come into reality! I i had to start over, I would have probably made them "one piece" of carved rock, or maybe larger bricks. But, I do think the end result should be quite nice. I'll post progress (hopefully finished project posts) after they are done. I'm hoping this weekend!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, just like every weekend, I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.... Aside from one more coat of drylock and aging the toppers, they are done! I'll be posting more pics on the prop thread, as soon as I have them "done-done" tomorrow. image.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I wish I had known how long thy would take, I'd have waited till next year or started way sooner! On to the next steps on my haunt build tomorrow! It's nice I work three 13 hr shifts a week... Gives me time to cram a lot of stuff into my 4 off days!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts