Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got bored earlier today and decided to make a few more props for children scaring fun...

First I threw together a pair of columns (I still need to figure out where to put these).

I had a pair of old kerosene lamps lying around that were just begging to have some paint put on them.

And this was my coffin from the last two years that always makes me smile. Ignore the tacky spiders and stuff on it, the kids love playing with those things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you make your columns? they look very good.
1x2's for the center.
1/2" plywood for the plates the 1x2's are stapled to.
Same for the boxes at the top and bottom.
Skinned the whole thing with Luan.
Added 2" trim around certain parts to give it some finer detail.
Paint.
Glue on some spanish moss.
etc etc....

It's all just very basic shapes if you step back and look at it. Nothing very hard to make with a little know how and the right tools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are amazing to be able to "throw" some good looking pillars together like that. Your haunt must be awesome.
I had cops show up last year to check out everything to make sure it was safe and all. You could hear the kids screaming down the block. I don't go overboard with animatronic stuff or anything that really stands out from other stuff. I just like doing a good basic setting thats detailed enough to draw peoples attention away from the actors scaring the bejeezus out of the kids/teenagers when they go up to the door. I got back a lot of the candy we gave out last year...just had to search in the yard at little where bags were thrown up in the air.

Being able to "throw" those together is a lot easier than it looks. I own a special events/production/decor company so I've got a lot of experience with that kind of stuff. Along with the large carpentry shop that I basically live in now. Having the right tools makes it a ton easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts