Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if any of you like or use the plain old colored light bulbs, but the local Dollar Tree here has many. They don't have a huge variety of color but the bulbs are great and really add a diffused color and glow to a room. They even have black light blubs. So if its something you like be sure to check out your local Dollar Tree.
My reason for even looking was we live in a real small town and to be able to get something as simple as a black light around here is impossible. So the next best thing is check out some colored bulbs....... they really add to the feel of a room!

Have a great day!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I stocked up on some a few weeks ago! I got blue, green, orange/red (they look exactly the same), yellow, and purple!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Thank you for the info, i just purchased 6, 3 red and 3 green from krogers for my singing pumpkins and i paid $3.79 each. Will definately be looking at dollar tree from now on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
good tip! Ill be checking them out. I need red ,orange and black lights.Im going to light my bathroom with red lighting. spooooooky.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Newbies here's another tip: every year before Halloween (start several months before) look for a thread that will be something like "first sightings in stores" (title used this year) and if you read nothing else during the off season leading up to the holiday, try to look through it on a regular basis. You'll get the heads up on what's come out in the stores either props, accessories, decor or things you can use to save money constructing things for your haunt. We try to keep the postings to one or two threads so you don't have to keep looking all over to read the latest on what's out there. People are also pretty good about adding photos there too so you can see something before you hunt for it in the stores.

Other good threads to search and read through are those for Dollar Tree. The Dollar Tree party lightbulbs hit the store a while back and were mentioned on the forum then and right now the pickings are slim as they approach being sold out. A month or so ago Dollar Tree started shelving the body parts. A lot of stores are sold out of these already. Pretty nice looking severed appendages for $1 and something that can be used in so many ways in your haunt. A great price to add hands or feet to a prop you are making. Way back in maybe July or August they began putting out $1 crows in a few variations. The best looking birds can be had early on before they get picked over and lose their feathers or get other damage.

I'm still building my inventory of haunt items and the forum has been invaluable to me in getting good stuff at great prices.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Spooky- I've been to the dollar tree a hundred times since June and Ive not seen these bulbs!!?? They must be hidden some place.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,519 Posts
Also, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE "BLACK LIGHT" bulbs!

The typical bulbs sold in cheapy stores are not true black lights they just have the special glass coating, but NOT the uv filament. They are dangerous as they heat up MUCH hotter than even a regular incandescent bulb and can be a fire hazard.

The BAD ones look like this:
http://www.ultravshop.com/22-84-thi...ulb-75-watts-a19-long-life-5000-hour-lamp.jpg

You need florescent UV bulbs that look like the long tubes, or like this:
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/contentimages/catalogimages/watermarked/plet-blb-25w-es.jpg

or the spiral compacts:
http://www.bulbman.com/images/cfdqblb.jpg

The regular color bulbs are super, but don't bother with the dollar store BL ones. :)

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Frank is right. I made the mistake of getting several on clearance at Ace hardware. They glow "brown" and VERY hot. I use the florescent party bulbs from Wal-mart and they last forever. But good luck finding any leading up to Halloween. I made the mistake last year of needing a couple to finish out. I tried 3 stores and not a one to be found. So I generally try to grab a couple here and there throughout the year, so I'm well stocked for this year. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just wanted to say..I bought some of the spiral black light bulbs that Frankie's Girl posted about at Big Lots for $4.00. They also had orange,green and blue.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Want a colored light bulb in any model of bulb, in any color?

Go to Michael's and buy Vitrea Glass Paint. You paint the bulb, let it dry 24 hours, heat set it in the oven at 160 degrees for about 40 minutes (more than cool enough for a bulb), and put them in whatever outlet you need.

Got candle bulbs you want in blue? Here's how. Got a couple of big floods and you want them purple and cheap? Here's how. Got a bunch of 40 watt bathroom vanity lights that need to be a sickly green? Here ya go.

Just an option for folks wanting more or needing more than standard 60 watt colored housebulbs.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Spooky- I've been to the dollar tree a hundred times since June and Ive not seen these bulbs!!?? They must be hidden some place.

My store had maybe a dozen left on the shelf when I was there last week. They were in the flashlight area if that helps. I went there looking for a Sunbeam solar LED plant light w/housing & stake that someone had posted about under the Prop/Lighting section. Man for $1 you got the whole lighting package without having to add much but a colored filter to the lens. Plus it came on at dark by itself. Those were already gone but that's when I noticed the party bulbs. Dollar Tree featured them a couple of months ago in the store catalog. Their online catalog is a good source for what will be in the stores but it doesn't list everything by any means.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,519 Posts
I went to stop & shop today and they had blacklight bulbs on sale for 75 each.
That would be the crap ones. Buy them at your own risk! Too hot and no black light effect...;)

If you're paying under $2 for them, then look CAREFULLY at them - they're probably are not the REAL black light bulbs. They should NOT be incandescent bulbs if you want the real ones that work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
None of the DTs here had any but luckily the DT in the city (an hour away) I go to school in did! They had Red, Purple, Blue, and Green. I got at least two of each! They give off great color! I will hopefully pick up some more tomorrow if they have any left.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I picked up 4 red spiral bulbs that were on clearance this evening for $2 each at Fred Meyers. They were in the regular bulb aisle made by the same company that makes the halloween ones that were selling for $5..just different packaging for those who may have a Fred Meyers near them! Can't wait to test them out in the living room for the Twilight theme...and bathroom for the Psycho theme! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts