Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
So, this is not directly a halloween question but I figured the people smarter than me on here could help out? I made a color organ a few years ago in school for my electronics class. Cool project that I knew I knew use for halloween lol. The only problem is, to give the organ its sound input you have to hook it up to a stereo through wire. I wanted to be able to use a iphone to produce the sound that the lights flash to. Is there a way to wire a 3.5mm audio jack onto the input wires? Hopefully the smart people out there can help me with this one because my googleing powers have turned up nothing :LOL:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably sound dumb right now but would something like this work? just putting the wires into the right and left terminals?I tried looking for a 3.5mm female jack online but i have no idea what I am looking for lol. thanks for your response

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would suggest something like this.

Also I am curious about the photo of your board. Where does the AC for the lights come into the board - I do not see a connection for that. Or is that what the wires hanging off are, and if that is the case then where does the audio input come into the board?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oower to the bored and the lights come in through a cord just outside of the picture. The cord is wired into the switch (on left side of the photo) for power. That then give power to the 3 outputs on the front of the board. The 2 black wires hanging off the bored that I circled in red are the audio inputs. They plug into the back of a stereo (where the speakers normally plug into) to receive the sound

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The oower to the bored and the lights come in through a cord just outside of the picture. The cord is wired into the switch (on left side of the photo) for power. That then give power to the 3 outputs on the front of the board. The 2 black wires hanging off the bored that I circled in red are the audio inputs. They plug into the back of a stereo (where the speakers normally plug into) to receive the sound View attachment 728912
If this was originally made for connecting to speaker outputs then it probably won't work with a cell phone. Speaker outputs are amplified, a cell phone (and typically any 3.5mm audio output) is line level, not amplified. The connector you have shown has 4 segments, a 3.5mm stereo audio cable has 3.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
A quick search turned up the exact same color organ on ebay, and yes, it is for an amplified audio signal. It will not work with line level audio.
Kits USA K-4530 3 CHANNEL COLOR ORGAN DIY KIT | eBay
Good news is, there are tons of tiny amplifiers on ebay that you could use to make this work from a cell phone. Only drawback is that the amplifier will need 5VDC to operate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I remember theses from back in HS, they are not very well isolated if you listened very carefully you could hear a slight buzz in the speakers when it was connected, not a big issue connected to an amplifier output but I would not directly connect it to any expensive electronics, if you are just looking for the lighting effect get yourself a cheap Bluetooth open it up and solder some wires to the speaker inside and extend them outside the case put the speaker back together hook the wires to your board. I recently bought one at a big box store for 5.00. Pair your phone and you're all set. On another note please take the time to build the board inside a plastic case that cannot be easily opened one of the electrical junction boxes from a hardware store should work nicely. There is 120 VAC exposed on that board when in operation which can kill. Please have a healthy respect for electricity if you are not 100% sure you can operate this safely please seek out help, Think you have the makings of a fun project just be safe about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 728911 I probably sound dumb right now but would something like this work? just putting the wires into the right and left terminals?I tried looking for a 3.5mm female jack online but i have no idea what I am looking for lol. thanks for your response
Just my guess but, you have one wire that is the right channel, one that is the left channel and one that is common or ground, or you may have a ground for each channel. wire the ground leads to pin four and each channel wire to the correct pin. this is a case of having an O' scope laying around available would be a big help in determining which leads carry left and right channel. No scope, then wire the black to pin 4 and the red to left or right channel, you may have to swap the red leads if you guessed wrong on left and right channel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m not sure about your color organ but most of the ones I’ve seen are wired directly to the speaker outputs on a stereo. I feel like the line level coming from a phone may not have enough power for it to pick up a signal. You may still need a small amplifier to run it.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I’m not sure about your color organ but most of the ones I’ve seen are wired directly to the speaker outputs on a stereo. I feel like the line level coming from a phone may not have enough power for it to pick up a signal. You may still need a small amplifier to run it.
This was already explained a few days ago in post #6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts