Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I found another food deal at Harbor Freight. They have a sale for a security system that includes two cameras with IR and a flat panel monitor for $59.99! I thought that it would perfect for scare stations like a Drop Window. You can put one camera to see them coming around a corner and the other right in front. I believe that they have sound too.

Anyways, I thought that I'd pass it on. Oh yeah, you might have to register with them online to get price down from $69.99 with a coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/Color-Security-System-with-Two-Cameras-Flat-Panel-Monitor-60565.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzMzNTA2OTQiLCJza3UiOiI2MDU2NSIsImlzIjoiNTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiOTY3MSJ9 &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4013a&utm_source=1010

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! I've been looking for a way to add video to a drop panel scare but couldn't find anything simple. This is and it's cheap too. The reviews say that they do have sound.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Supposidly if you are recording people with sound, you could be spending time in Federal prison under illegal wire tapping and privacy laws and this is why so many cameras do not have sound, or should not have sound...it all sounds like Big Brother /1984 to me.
How crazy is all of this? True?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
You're right Jim. I know you have to have it plainly posted that they are being recorded. I'll have to see if I can find the regs on it.

Interesting that you can videotape someone doing something stupid or embarrassing with no problems but you can't record them speaking.

·
black light queen
2,493 Posts
is this "law" is related to wiretapping or recording a conversation? if so, i believe that if one party in the conversation gives consent then you can record ... the issue might b that you aren't included in the conversation, so i don't know

i'm not a lawyer ... but i play 1 on tv ... yes, another lame a$$ j/k

amk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course there are You Tubes all over of people being scared with a Drop Window. And I guess you could imply permission with a disclaimer or posted sign. But I say we just keep it fun and simple. Don't record anything. The video system I posted about does not have any recording capability at all! You have to go through the trouble of hooking up an additional device such as a VCR if you want to get a recording. As it is, its just a monitoring device.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The law is only for public facilites. As a private party you can film and record anything you want as long as it is on your private property. Further the wiring tapping etc. Doesnt even remotely apply as the usuage of the camera is not for offical investigation or criminal activity. Throw up a sign that says " these premises are video and sound recorded" thats all you have to do.. even though you really don't... but might make you feel better

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The law is only for public facilites. As a private party you can film and record anything you want as long as it is on your private property. Further the wiring tapping etc. Doesnt even remotely apply as the usuage of the camera is not for offical investigation or criminal activity. Throw up a sign that says " these premises are video and sound recorded" thats all you have to do.. even though you really don't... but might make you feel better
No. I would encourage moderators to delete this post.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back to fun and simple right? It's just a monitoring device, you could set up a fancy mirror system to achieve the same goal. This is just better. How about the ones that record video and get into nefarious activities with people getting scared get punished by the law. My lawyer buddy said this is totally fine and we're in California where every other lawyer's name is Sue. Please -Keep Halloween fun!

Scene from Serenity:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]RIVER: "People don't like to be meddled with.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]We tell them what to do and what to think. Don't run. Don't walk."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]TEACHER: "River, we’re not telling people what to think. We’re just trying to show them how."[/FONT]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
Ghost Ninja
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing