Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Williamsburg VA and I have been doing cemetery and pumpkin patch haunts for a few years, but I am thinking about changing my theme. I would like to transition into a colonial theme and possibly a civil war theme seeing that I am now living in the South (former Yankee). Does anyone have any pictures or ideas that they can share on this subject? Have you done something like this? If not, how would you do it?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I love the concept! :)

I could see using the ol Southern belle as a main character - can do a packing tape ghost hybrid like Lilibat's beautiful/spectacular version using a clear mannequin form and clear/patterned shower curtain: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/165697-tape-ghost-successor-2017-a.html

Could also get a few skeleton horses (from Home Depot) and some skeleton yank/reb soldiers (regular skeletons dressed in tattered uniforms?) Mostly just need gray/navy pants, shreds of a jacket and maybe the hats to really make them read as soldiers, and a few civil war era rifles/swords scattered about...

Maybe fashion a cannon out of wagon wheels and sonotube? I have plans for a pirate type cannon that could be adapted to look more realistic just by adding wagon wheels (since it would need to be moved by land). http://joomla.asmarteru.biz/projects/2008-props/pirate-cannons

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fricken love the cannon build! And your idea about the home depot horse skeletons are excellent too, of course after they have been properly corpsed!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oh I love this idea!!!! Need some corpsed skeletons to dress up as zombie like soldiers, Horses from Home Depot, and chicken wire ghosts are a must!! Lots of ground fog, a great sound track to simulate war. Maybe a few actors mixed in with the soldiers just on Halloween nite?

Attachments

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Just thought of something else thematically that might be a fun direction if you wanted to go that way...

Could have the Southern miss be a ghost of a young lady who is waiting for her beloved to come home from war... only he died in battle, so she waited and waited and waited... and now her ghost waits for him still.

Her ghost figure could be similar to the Disney bride in the attic - could have a glowing red heart fade in and out and hear her crying and calling out for her love to come back to her, and damning the dreadful war that tore them and the nation apart.

But wait! Is that a distant sound of marching and the whistle of an old war tune? Is her dearly missed soldier finally finding his way back to her from beyond the grave?

Sort of remember things like that in the old Creepshow comics and such. Could be a fun theme to play with and build up a cool story line depending on how detailed you'd like to go. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just be careful with the Civil War theme. That can be a touchy subject in some areas of the country. Just saying.
Love the Colonel prop though. It's awesome, although I might have used a different flag.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Zombie Raider's video post will lead you down a civil war rabbit hole with tons of videos with haunted stories and authentic pictures for some inspiration.

Depending on where you want to take this... battlefield, fort or camp
Google "Andersonville Tents" images - this could be an interesting addition to the haunt
Background sounds of muskets/rifles firing, flashes of light and wisps of fog
Make it seem like the battlefield is off in the distance with a red/orange/yellow glow, fog, and a far-off sounding battle. Corpses crawling from the battle.....
Camp scene - tents, small fires near each tent with cast iron pot hanging, a pot of coffee in the fire... Medical tent...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in Williamsburg VA and I have been doing cemetery and pumpkin patch haunts for a few years, but I am thinking about changing my theme. I would like to transition into a colonial theme and possibly a civil war theme seeing that I am now living in the South (former Yankee). Does anyone have any pictures or ideas that they can share on this subject? Have you done something like this? If not, how would you do it?
If you haven't lived in Colonial Williamsburg long, chat with your neighbors to get a feel of what not to do that could be considered offensive. This could really be a fun and ever growing type of theme for you.
Maybe an Axworthy ghost or two - slowly flying through the trees - over your battle field or grave site, with the haunting spot lights and accent lights and the fog below with your skeleton horses and soldiers are on the ground, maybe a body lying on the ground and his hand reaching up while the cannon is going off.
I'd suggest taking a couple of the ghost tours in Williamsburg and/or Jamestown as research. I'm sure you'll be inspired with the stories.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here's a link to making a hat like a confederate soldier would wear.
https://www.ehow.com/how_6397059_make-civil-war-kepi.html
You could try making it with paper and the waxing or oiling the paper to make it weather resistant. Or go all out and make one out of cloth.

or a union soldier's hat. after another look for patterns it looks like both side wore the same style hat.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I always want to do a 18th century haunt myself, I just don’t have the space to do what I want. I guess it could also be used for civil war era as well.

Here is the concept, all the haunts today are all about chain saws and killer clowns. Which is good for a startle scare, but what I want is to scare people within their own imagination. I believe the quieter it is the scarier it is. My dream haunt would be a short walk with a host telling stories about the local history of events that happed right on the spot they are walking. Then have 1st person actors recreate the events as the guests walk through. The idea would they would have to walk through the scene/set so they get a sense that they were part of event as it happens. (not just a walk around). The haut would last 15-20min ending with a camp fire for refreshments. Guest stay as long as they want until close. I had made a few different stories based on some historic events from the area, and would do a different story each week through the season. (They sets would slightly change week after week just to keep it fresh.)
Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts