Halloween Forum banner

801 - 806 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yes Ladyfrog, my husband was told there had been 25 accidents on that stretch of road this year, I assume part of last winter and this winter. I'm just so glad to have him home for a while. ScareyCarrie, "serenity and happiness" sounds good to me. ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh my goodness, it never occurred to me that I could dress up my Boneys for Christmas ScareyCarrie (or the many cats I've had over the years Little black cat)! [giggle] All adorable. And I love those elf ears!

RavenLily, I can talk about it now, but it took a few weeks to process everything that happened. I can happily say now that everyone is fine, but we've had a very challenging Fall.

Husband had a choice, wait two weeks for the next Alaska ferry home or brave the five day drive home through eastern Alaska, the Yukon, and British Columbia. I didn't get a vote. The decision was made. My husband wanted to be home in time for Thanksgiving.

On the evening of day three, he hit a rut, lost control of the van, and went off the road into a huge wooden post, followed by the sign and its post crashing onto the roof of the van, shattering the windshield...and incredibly, he was able to open the door and exit without a scratch or a bruise.

He's in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in northern British Columbia. It's late, it's 10 degrees F. He has everything he needs to stay in place. He's fine. He surveys his surroundings, and sees what looks like a driveway and a dark building in the distance. He walks to it, and knocks on the door. It's a lodge, closed for the season, and the owner is there. He starts the generator, makes my husband a cup of coffee, and calls for a tow truck. Three hours later my husband's on his way to the inn where he'd previously arranged to stay. We spoke twice that night by phone, once from the tow truck when the driver felt there would be adequate signal, then again as he walked into his room.

It took a few days to make all the necessary arrangements. A few days later he made reservations to fly home for the purpose of renting a van, then driving two days up and two days back to retrieve his equipment. Flying home, he had three connections to make Thanksgiving Day, but he made it home, feet on the ground just before midnight Thanksgiving evening. We had so much to be thankful for.

Husband rested for a couple of days, rented a van, then headed back to pick up his equipment. The drive up was fine at first then became difficult. I tracked his progress and the weather. The second night was even more difficult, but he made it. The next morning, he transferred his equipment to the rental van, then tried to get a good night's rest in preparation for the journey home.

That night, our son called to let me know he would be loading all his things into a U-haul, and would be leaving Portland for his new digs in San Diego. His plans to sell his car had fallen through, and he wondered if we'd buy it from him after we drove down to Portland to retrieve it. My car was well over due for replacement so my husband said yes.

The next day, the weather became an issue again in British Columbia. At this point, I knew how to monitor the weather conditions and learned there was a weather alert. I persuaded my husband to stay in place, to wait it out, successfully this time.

And as luck would have it, the two of them would both be on the road traveling long distances for the same two days.

I coped by dashing over to Fred Meyer an hour before they closed to get a California road map and a road atlas while at the same time alerting my husband by phone and asking him to call and advise our son as best he could for the trip.

Of the three of us, I think I had the most difficult time. I kept my phone and my maps with me and looked for ways to distract myself.

Thankfully, they both came through it all far better than I. And we were able to spend a lovely three days together just before Christmas, with the last day gathered with our other two sons and their families. Two of our grandchildren couldn't be with us so I brought a big box of pipe cleaners, in every color imaginable, googly eyes, beads, various tools, etc., and we happily made ornaments and garland for their Christmas tree. We even threw a few ornaments into a boxax and water solution to cystalize them. We had so much fun!

And we are so ready for the new year...

Wishing for you all the very best as we close out 2019 and begin 2020!
Oh my gosh, Grandma Lise, I'm actually sitting here with tears in my eyes reading your account of all your family has been through! Your husband most definitely had an Angel sitting on his shoulder when he hit that rut to come out unscathed. I am SO thankful to hear that he was unhurt and was near to a place of help and shelter from the freezing cold. I can't even imagine how stressful it must have been for you to not be able to do anything to help, so far away and at times out of communication. I am so glad, in the end, that all is well and that 2019 left on a good note and only hope, in sending ALL my best wishes to you and yours, that 2020 will be safe, healthy and drama free!! You are such a kind, dear person to us all here, and very appreciated!! I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner, I haven't been checking in as often, but again, SO glad to hear all is well. :))

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks RavenLily for your kind words. It's been so nice to get to the other side of all this and the holidays so we can finally get some quality time together. Life feels more normal now. It's been a rough year for you and I both. Hoping life is slowly getting better for you too. Here's to a brighter 2020! :)

Received my Dead Sledding piece from Mark Cook today. Love, love it!

And I even remembered to include the card this time ScareyCarrie! Just for you!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks RavenLily for your kind words. It's been so nice to get to the other side of all this and the holidays so we can finally get some quality time together. Life feels more normal now. It's been a rough year for you and I both. Hoping life is slowly getting better for you too. Here's to a brighter 2020! :)

Received my Dead Sledding piece from Mark Cook today. Love, love it!

View attachment 727552

And I even remembered to include the card this time ScareyCarrie! Just for you!
Thank you, Grandma Lise! Yes, let's be optimistically hopeful for a much brighter 2020, I'm most definitely with you on that. Enough is enough with 2019, and good riddance, haha!!

And I just love your Dead Sledding piece, and what a super-nice note Mark enclosed for you!! He really goes above and beyond in his personal thank you's- he's not only so very talented, but seems appreciative of his groupies- US, lol.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, 9 months until Halloween. Hooray!!! 🎃 😺
But only 8 months until the decorating begins! Happy (belated) New Year, everyone. Halloween was SUCH a dud this past year. We probably only had 12 trick-or-treaters. Here's to a great 2020 overall and a scary good Halloween season!

801 - 806 of 806 Posts