Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to build an electric chair for years and finally after watching the video listed below I thought that it was a fairly easy project. As I started gathering the supplies I decided I had to go ahead and spend a few more bucks for carriage bolts and make this heavy and bulky prop collapsible so that I could put in my attic since there is no where else to put it.

I modified this chair quite a bit from the video I saw. I will try and post more details and pics in the next few days. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any ideas for the rest of the chair. I haven't made my final decisions on the back of the chair. I am thinking either 3-4 horizontal 2x4's, rectangle plywood, or an arched design of some sort. I also wanted to put some electrical insulators but am not sure where to get them. I didn't find any at Home Depot. I am also planning on having this either motion activated with my raspberry pi and a motion sensor but it would be my first r-pi project and I am not very good at python so if that doesn't go well I will be using a fog machine activation switch. I also would like to add the air as in the video but that may be left for next year. I already have an air canon that we trigger from a fog machine switch so I may use that in conjunction with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rx_AAUjuxg

Metal

The 24"x36" sheet metal I got at HD in the A/C section for about $10. The yellow metal flex is a gas line that was on clearance for $7.40. The small can of all weather stain was oops paint for $0.50. I already had the light holder with reflector. The 4x4 posts are cheap at $5 from HD. I plan on painting the yellow pipe with the chrome paint before distressing it with brownish stain.

Furniture Table Workbench Outdoor table Wood stain

You can barely see the foam but I used gorilla glue and nails to attach the 2x6's together to ensure it is strong and can withstand any size trick-or-treater.

Table Wood Hood Furniture Floor

Wood Hardwood Furniture Table Plywood

The palm sander I got a Harbor Freight today. It is on sale for $9.99 down from $21.99. I added small 2x2's to box in the sander (see picture below). One 2x4 cross piece is nailed in permanent and the other is screwed in in case I need to replace it. I haven't yet decided if I am going to glue it to the metal. It seems to work just fine as it is. This sheet metal is very thin so it needed the supports anyway.

Picnic table Table Furniture Wood woodworking

Back legs (4x4 posts) are 53" long with 3/4" notch at the 30" mark and the front legs are 30" long. The arms (2x4's) are 23 1/2". The actual seat area is 22" x 22", however the 2x6's extend 3 1/2" on each side for the 4x4 legs to bolt to.

Table Wood Tile Floor Furniture

I simply used galvanized roofing nails (and gorilla glue) to attach the sheet metal, which I have an abundance of for some reason.

Furniture Table Chair Wood Sawhorse

T-Nuts and Bolts to attach the arms

Handheld power drill Wood Machine tool Machine Tool accessory

Drill hole for 1/4" 20 bolt (1/4" bit). Make sure not to drill too far, just enough to mark the spot for the larger hole

Wood Plywood Hardwood Table Wood stain

Marked, now drill a larger hole (9/32") for the T-Nut

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Table Plywood

This is the front arm but same process, just tap in the T-Nut.

Wood Plywood Hardwood Wood stain Beige

Attach arms with 1/4" 20 2" bolts and washer.

Parts List (incomplete):
Total cost depending on supplies on hand $40 - $75

(2) 4x4x8 Posts ([email protected])
Cut 2 @ 30" and 2 @ 53" (3/4" notch @ 30" to fit 2x4 arm)
(1) 2x6x8 pine ([email protected])
Cut 2 @ 22" and 2 @ 19"
Attach 19" boards 3 1/2" in on the 22" boards with gorilla glue and nails
(1) 2x4x8 pine ([email protected])
Cut 2 at 23 1/2"
Rests on top of front legs and in notch of back legs
(1) Clamp light (around [email protected] but I already had one)
(1) Metal Flex pipe/tubing ($7 on clearance for gas line @HD or $15 for copper)
(1) Galvanized Sheet Metal 24x36 ([email protected])
(1) Palm Sander or similar ([email protected])
I bought this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/orbital-hand-sander-61509.html
(8) 3/8" 6" carriage bolts (around $1 each or $2 each for galvanized)
I planned on counter sinking these in the 4x4 legs but I changed the plan to put the legs in front so I decided against counter sinking in the 2x6's which would weaken the connection. Maybe you could put the 4x4 legs behind the 2x6's instead and use 5" or 5 1/2" bolts
(8) 3/8" nuts (I had locking nuts, around $1)
(8) 3/8" washers (around $1)
(2) Wood Screw Inserts 1/4 20 (around [email protected])
(2) 1/4 20 4" Bolts used for arms with screw inserts
(1) Fluorescent Stater ($2 for pk of [email protected])
Place in-line to make the lamp flicker. http://halloweenpropmaster.com/u-build-it3.htm
(1) Light Bulb

Things I would do different:

1) I would opt for a more rigid flex pipe to hold the light. The gas line isn't strong enough to hold the light (even without the bulb).
2) Use wood inserts to attach the back to the back legs or use glue to secure t-nuts.
3) Attach the back legs behind the seat instead of inside to allow for 5" more inches of room depth-wise.
4) Find thicker sheet metal if cost effective.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you for the inspiration...
Used this post to make my own electric chair,.. Needed to adjust some the materials to what is available in Belgium,...
still work in progress, but so far I like it :)

here are some pics:

Table Furniture Wood Brick Plywood

Furniture Wood Table Ladder Brick

Furniture Chair Wood Table Plywood

What i'm still planning on doing is making some electric isolators on top of the chair, putting a sander underneath the metal plate (which is actually a metal lit of a cookie box) of the chair, adding some el-wire towards the electric isolators (cfr http://thesisterteam.com/tag/halloween/) , adding some belts on arms an legs, painting the chair, putting a 'head-lamp' on it (with some with leds in it), putting a nice backdrop behind it (with switch and big warning signs), putting an orange emergency spinning light behind it, and making it controlled by some arduino logic....

This years' Halloween Theme will be Mad house/psych ward,... still more items to make,... but the scene's are clear on-paper..

Feedback or suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the inspiration...
Used this post to make my own electric chair,.. Needed to adjust some the materials to what is available in Belgium,...
still work in progress, but so far I like it :)

here are some pics:

View attachment 282327

View attachment 282328

View attachment 282329

What i'm still planning on doing is making some electric isolators on top of the chair, putting a sander underneath the metal plate (which is actually a metal lit of a cookie box) of the chair, adding some el-wire towards the electric isolators (cfr http://thesisterteam.com/tag/halloween/) , adding some belts on arms an legs, painting the chair, putting a 'head-lamp' on it (with some with leds in it), putting a nice backdrop behind it (with switch and big warning signs), putting an orange emergency spinning light behind it, and making it controlled by some arduino logic....

This years' Halloween Theme will be Mad house/psych ward,... still more items to make,... but the scene's are clear on-paper..

Feedback or suggestions are welcome.
Looking Great! It's nice to see other people use your idea and run with it. I have been thinking of doing similar things to improve my chair. I like the leg things and want to add leather straps. You can kinda see in my video link below that I have some mock insulators. They are actually mini plungers I got at Home Depot or Lowes, don't recall.

BTW, you have to click 'view album' on the following link to see the video.

https://plus.google.com/+Terror31Oct/posts/iK4yPq39Q4Z

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.