Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,583 Posts
That is WONDERFUL! I have 3 foot high cardboard columns that are installed by snugging them down over two stakes I drive into the ground with a mallet. They've lasted 10+ years even in some heavy rains, and as pleased as I am with them still, I would have LOVED to have thought to make them collapsible.

Have you done weather tests like leaving them out in heavy rain? My experience with masonite is it does puff up and weaken/expand when it gets really wet.

Instead of rebar, another option is cinderblocks or bricks inside the base to provide a bit of weight so they would stay put in mild weather.

But really, great idea and the columns themselves are just lovely. (y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frankie's Girl! As far as testing the Masonite, there are two basic types of Masonite board: tempered and plain. The plain stuff is softer and will flake easily; it's just pressed cardboard. The tempered stuff is really hard and very smooth, it almost always has a sticker that says it's 'tempered". That stuff is tough! I left some untreated (no paint and with cut edges) out for a week in the lawn, directly under the sprinklers and they didn't warp or swell!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I am currently brainstorming on how to build cemetery pillars and tombs/coffins. Never thought of using hardboard. Any thoughts on how to provide horizontal stability to the top portion? We get a lot of wind in our area and I worry the top portion would blow off. Think you can drill holes in the middle "lid" and have the rebar go all the way up?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Brilliant idea! Wonder if you could make the column dimensions to fit over two cinder blocks together (approx 16"x16"). Maybe use a masonry bit to put a horizontal hole thru the block sides and then anchor the base column to the blocks. Or figure some other way to anchor the column to the blocks... Since I have very little storage, this makes it possible to have columns now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
bspells
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing