Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
warning will robinson

The big "todo" with these is that they produce flourescent, neon or UV light with little or no heat which is why some computer afficionados (geeks) put them in their modified pc cases. Be careful, I don't think the power supply is included in those prices and a decent blacklight tube for your existing workshop light is probably cheaper and would produce better effects.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have some similar. Yes, they require (or at least work most easily from) a computer power supply unit. I run one setup with 6 lights off of one power supply. Each pair of lights has an inverter box (came with the lamps).

Mine are all colored neon-ish. No experience with UV.

Their output is very bright to look at, but actually do not put off much light or glow to other objects. At least in outdoor haunt type scenarios. I used them once in a large clear acrylic cube, and they did good to give it a nice glow. I used them another time on a Veags theme slot machine prop.

I tried once to animate them, but they have often have a small flicker on startup that stopped me from persuing that any further.

Mine are cool to the touch. But the inverter box is fairly warm to the touch.

Directron or Altex in Houston is where I got mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts