Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I recently finished my first ScareFX inspired Toe pincher. Only problem i came across was having to build it with Cedar wood planks instead of Pine. I am considering using a stain to give it a more aged look and was wondering if anyone would reccomend a certain kind of stain to get the semi-aged look Im going for.

I have a couple pictures posted onmy blog. would love some suggestions if anyone has any. thanks.

Project – The Coffins Weirdo Wearing A Mask

·
Registered
510 Posts
Check out Aged Oak or Golden Oak, Wood stain at Home Depot, Minwax. I would try a little on a scrap piece of the same wood as other wood will differ and see if you like the tone. You can get a couple of the small cans and try a little of each. Good Luck!

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
cedar ages to a gray color so if you want to stain it I'd try something in the gray tones they might even have something called weathered gray. Or you could set it outside on the shady side of your house and rub some dirt on it and let nature age it for you. Also you can use a propane torch to lightly burn the wood giving it some streaks but becareful not to over do this process or you'll creamate it.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
The coffin looks nice. I like to just let the wood age naturally. I'll leave the coffins out in the back yard all winter long covered in snow. Usually only takes one season and the wood turns to a nice dark aged grey. I think if you just leave it outside all summer long through rain and sun, the wood should darken/age a bit. Also, like Warrent said, beat the crap out of it with a heavy chain to give it some nice dents and chips.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I agree with the rest here, i would let it age naturally outside until Halloween. Cedar is loaded with natural oils and therefore doesn't paint well so anything you use on it needs to be oil based. Because of those oils, cedar is best protected from the elements but the uv from the sun and the sheer harshness of Mother nature conspire to age the wood gracefully over time so, nature will do your work for you. One thing i might do is take a regular propane torch to the coffin and "toast" it a little bit to give it that "neglected" look but as in anything, it's your choice at the end of the day and noone else's......best of luck to you.......Scruff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts