Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one got any good ideas to put into a coffin?
I found some plans for a $25 toe pincher made out of fence pickets (gotta make me bunches!!) and i was wondering what to put in it.
Some of my ideas are:
A monster in a box device (I like this the best, but...)
An Actor
a static zombie
nothing
candy (but this is a life sized coffin, needs lots a candy)
just a fog machine and some lights and sounds(nothing moves)
an opening lid with an animated zombie that sits up

Oh and check out Frightning Stuff Prop Design - Jack In the Box for last years big prop
(its animated)

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
If you are trying to do it on a budget, I would suggest pallets instead of fence pickets. Pallets most of the time are free and the wood can be really old and worn, which will give your coffin a cool look without having to distress it. Just a suggestion to save you 25 dollars that you can use towards animating it!!! I would go the monster in a box route if it were up to me. Good luck. Can't wait to see progress pics.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea that would be nice to have some how to on that
awsome!!

what was used inside?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
It's a wiper motor with a custom circuit I designed that allows two 180° rotations with a pause in between. The crank arm of the motor is attached to the lid with a threaded shaft and a pair of 1/4" rod ends. The wiper motor is running at 5VDC, slow speed setting. I got the motor and power supply from Monster Guts. I don't have a how-to, but I do have a few pics of the mounted motor and linkage.
The circuit board is now being sold by Simple Circuit Boards. I don't know the exact price, but they're not expensive.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw a MIB prop that used a weird shaped cam on a wiper motor, I thought of that for a prop.

I'll just have to make many coffin props!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sure, no problem. This was quite a while ago, but I think I remember the setup.

The mechanics were two air cylinders with flow control valves (help control the rate of open/close). One was mounted at the back of the lid (near the hinges) to open the top, and the other was mounted straight up, beneath the skeleton.

There was a smoke machine, MiniDisc audio (yeah, before MP3 players), a blacklight, and a strobe light. I didn't know of any such things as a prop controller back then, maybe they didn't exist, either for all I know. So I used a BASIC Stamp II microcontroller, a home brew relay board, and an SSC servo controller (yeah, for pressing play on the MiniDisc player, and the smoke machine's button!) I'd be a whole lot easier to do nowadays, I'm sure.

It worked pretty well, we had the creaking and cackling coming from one channel (under the coffin), and the screams coming from behind the guests. The only pain was getting the speed of lid-opening to match with the duration of the creak. As the flow control valves would get moisture in them (or just heated up?), they'd let more or less air through - so they had to be tweaked a few times that night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in the process of building the coffin that Otaku made last year. I don't know if he is helping anyone with this project, but so far he has been a huge help to me. Helping me to buy the parts, walking me through the process and answering even the dumbest questions.

I'm about to solder up the board tonight, and getting the motor and stuff together. I still need to build the coffin, but so far I have about $75.00 invested in this project ( this includes shipping ). I have a ton of wood already, so this project shouldn't run much more money.

This is my first attempt at making my own prop. Just wanted to let everyone know that otaku is awsome and would be a hugh help if you decide you would like to tackle this project.

Joe

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I just finished my coffin with a pop up zombie inside. I used the propmasters plans for my zombie pop up.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Otaku:what's the name of the board and pics of the linkage please.
znelson710:If you go to hauntproject.com click coffins there are many how-to's with plans for free.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Otaku:what's the name of the board and pics of the linkage please.
The board is my design, but it's now being sold by Jeff Wheat at Simple Circuit Boards. It's not on the site, but if you email him and ask for the wiper motor controller board, he'll set you up. I think he's selling them for $10 a pop. I have a few pics of the motor and linkage here:

HalloweenGallery.com - Coffin project/Linkage 2

I have a video if you're interested in seeing it in action.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Otaku, once you again you astound me with your knowledge and skill. It is so nice to have discovered this forum and all the limitless knowledge to be able to tap into when needed.

·
Banned
101 Posts
OTAKU ,
you said "wiper motor controller board, he'll set you up. I think he's selling them for $10 a pop"

Can I ask , for the $10 spot , are you gettting a completed board , or just a PCB , or parts to populate , or what exactly ? ( only asking , since , the board I see , is just a chunk of breadboard ) , and is that both boards pictured , or ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts