Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have made coffins with a fabric liner in them, would you please share suggestions, how to's and pics?

The second coffin we are making will be for a pneumatic deceased long lost uncle in our funeral area. The coffin is about finished so now I need to decorate it. I want a silky like coffin liner with pillow. Not sure what's the best way to achieve the look I want. Just stapling it to the inside of the coffin seems like it would give too flat of a look and well adding foam and then the fabric seems a bit extreme.

So, please share your experiences, pics, etc :)

MsM

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
What about using a layer of bubble wrap under the lining?
Or maybe an old quilt or thick blanket?
You could then "upholster" the lining with upholstery pins if you wished, to give a very plush look indeed.
Upholstery pins are available in packets very cheaply from most DIY stores.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I got this coffin from the Boise Contemporary Theatre and it just had blue satin stapled into it. I got a slab of 1" thick foam from WalMart for about $15. I used clamps to hold it on the sides. Then I covered the foam and stapled in purple tufted taffeta fabric from JoAnns upholstery department. For a finishing touch, I hot glued black braid finish around the edges. I like the effect, but whatever you choose to do for your coffin, I'm sure your long lost uncle won't complain! LOL.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You can use batting underneath your fabric, there's low loft and high loft, the high loft is thicker. This is the stuff they put inside comforter's, you can buy it at walmart, by the roll or bag. It is usually sized for the bed it will cover, i.e. twin or double or queen/king. you can just lay in under the fabric and staple through all layers at the same time. The come back and staple a trim of gathered lace at the top. You can use nail head pins that have a rounded semi circular head to create the upholstered look, pattern them on a diagonal and it will come out looking like diamond patterned when you are done.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got this coffin from the Boise Contemporary Theatre and it just had blue satin stapled into it. I got a slab of 1" thick foam from WalMart for about $15. I used clamps to hold it on the sides. Then I covered the foam and stapled in purple tufted taffeta fabric from JoAnns upholstery department. For a finishing touch, I hot glued black braid finish around the edges. I like the effect, but whatever you choose to do for your coffin, I'm sure your long lost uncle won't complain! LOL.
Thanks for the pics skulkin! Nice little coffin you have there! How exactly did you staple it? Just along the edges or in the tufts too?

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks nevergoback and Baron :)

That upholstered look using pins is a great idea! Wonder if I can pull it off or find them here lol

MsM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try this!!!

View attachment 6346

View attachment 6347 We took thin wood and put a piece of quilters batting around the wood and then I bought some red satin and I pleated the red satin by using pins to hold it in front as I pleated it. Then I pulled the back tight and duct taped the satin to the back of the wood. Then my husband used tiny nails to attach the padded satin enlays to the inside frame of the coffin. We are still waiting for the vampire head and hands to come in...the ones in the photo are just for measurement. My husband is going to top this with plexi-glass and it will become the desert table in our dining room for our party. People will be able to pay their respects and get a brownie all at the same time.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We took thin wood and put a piece of quilters batting around the wood and then I bought some red satin and I pleated the red satin by using pins to hold it in front as I pleated it. Then I pulled the back tight and duct taped the satin to the back of the wood. Then my husband used tiny nails to attach the padded satin enlays to the inside frame of the coffin. We are still waiting for the vampire head and hands to come in...the ones in the photo are just for measurement. My husband is going to top this with plexi-glass and it will become the desert table in our dining room for our party. People will be able to pay their respects and get a brownie all at the same time.
Hahahaha pay their respects and grab a brownie at the same time!

This might be the idea that will work out the best. Hubby made the coffin in pieces so that it would be easier to break down and store.

You seem to have a really nice set up. I saw some other pics you posted in another thread. Got any more pics of your props/setups?

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heh, he based his off mine....he did a good job too!
Yeah that's what happens when you post on the internet eh? Stealing ideas, changing them around, adding your own touch, etc. Its what makes this forum and other halloween websites so great!
All I see when I click on your link is a diagram on how to build the coffin. The buiding of our coffin is done. Now I need to add the finishing touches like the liner, etc.
Do you have any pics of the finished prop or the liner?

Thanks,
MsM

·
Registered
719 Posts
I dont consider it stealing. I have talked with this guy a few times and I think he did a great job personalizing my plans, flattered that he chose mine to use as a base.

If you read the tutorial on that page you'll see I have a step by step of how I did the liner and there are pics of the finished coffin at the bottom of the page, did you look at the whole page or even read the text??

Just FYI, you probably missed it but this was my article that ran in haunted attraction magazine back in 1998.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont consider it stealing. I have talked with this guy a few times and I think he did a great job personalizing my plans, flattered that he chose mine to use as a base.

If you read the tutorial on that page you'll see I have a step by step of how I did the liner and there are pics of the finished coffin at the bottom of the page, did you look at the whole page or even read the text??

Just FYI, you probably missed it but this was my article that ran in haunted attraction magazine back in 1998.
The page that I get when I click your link is just a black and white diagram with the measurements for the coffin. No pics, no how to, and no links to other areas of your site.
Where is your article?

MsM

·
Registered
719 Posts
wow, I dont know why it isnt showing up for you, it's an entire page of text and images.....should look like this (but bigger ;) ) try a different browser

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try a different link lol I got it figured out. The link you posted just had 'coffin' at the end without an extention. If you add .htm to that link then you get the how to. What I was getting was the coffin.JPG.

Nice coffin by the way :)

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I would get a roll of foam from a camping suply place used as a bed roll for camping. >
You can cut it in half lengthwise and put it behind the liner

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Thanks nevergoback and Baron :)

That upholstered look using pins is a great idea! Wonder if I can pull it off or find them here lol

MsM
If you have trouble finding them, let me know.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Try a different link lol I got it figured out. The link you posted just had 'coffin' at the end without an extention. If you add .htm to that link then you get the how to. What I was getting was the coffin.JPG.

Nice coffin by the way :)
hum, strange

Thanks, I loved that coffin and the tuck-n-roll liner, it was comfortable to lay in, I have actually slept in it a few times. I wish I still had it. When we moved from Az to Texas about 4yrs ago the movers dropped it off the back of their truck (diesel truck) and broke it in to several pieces......But, now I can build a Casket to replace it next year.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hum, strange

Thanks, I loved that coffin and the tuck-n-roll liner, it was comfortable to lay in, I have actually slept in it a few times.
Are you also sensitive to the smell of garlic and have a problem with crosses? :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts