Halloween Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
1,093 Posts
An easier and cheaper way to make coffin benches might be to cut the shape of a toe-pincher out of plywood, set that on top of cinder blocks for legs, and drape fabric over it that would reach to the ground. It would give the look of a coffin and be easy to set up and take down. If you wanted to make it more cushy, you could cut foam for the top. Wally World usually has 1" foam slabs that are about $12. The only thing you'd have to store would be flat plywood which wouldn't take up so much room.

· Registered
917 Posts
Might i suggest simply doing a "Deacon's" type of bench and make the side pieces in the shape of a coffin lid and router a cross design into it to give it character. I would even go so far as to embellish the finished benches with brass handles to complete them. I do a lot of woodworking and cabinet making and this is what i would do so that they might be functional throughout the year also. Making a full-blown coffin type bench would only allow you to use them at one time of the year. I have two full sized coffins in a corner of my garage that i can only really use at Halloween, thankfully they also serve a dual purpose as i store all of my props in them as well.

· The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,118 Posts
So, is the 19 month old's name Oops? heh.
Terra, Miley is her first name..."How the heck did that happen" is her middle name!:eek:;) Theres something to being a dad at 40, seems to be much easier and another one to share the joy of Halloween with (she's already working with me on the column build, loves to watch and play with things I have out).

· Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,364 Posts
Johnny - your wife makes me so jealous. Why do some people have it soooo easy. =)
I know it sounds corny, but my wife really likes the Hypnobirth system. She swears by it.

Johnny, believe it or not, our #4 was a bit of an "oops". We discussed having one more, but thought we would wait a while since #3 was about 15 months old. Then my wife had the idea to, "see what happens." A month later, she was pregnant!!

I still tease her that there wan't nearly enough "trying to get pregnant" time this time around.

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well we came up with a Plan for the Coffin Benches. I'll have pictures of the Progress hopefully by Tuesday...

We are doing a simple rectangular Bench, but doing a 6" drop face on it, with Coffin-like handles on the front. The Coffin Shape is going to be the Back. We decided to Keep it simple (although after cutting all the pieces, things kept growing and shrinking....irritating!!)

Here's the ONLY picture I managed to Take of the 2 benches we are working on this week...

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
we had to special order the fabric. It used to be something Joann's carried all the time, but apparently it wasn't too popular (they still have the green and gold in stock at my store), so they went to a special order only on this color. Downside... It's a Pain in the butt to work with. Staples go RIGHT THRU it, so we had to tack it down with glue (We have access to industrial spray glue...it will make ANYTHING stick), and THEN staple it very carefully.

We were GOING to use the fabric on the BACK of the coffin benches, but when we laid it up on it to look, you lost the feel of the coffin with it. So we are just leaving those Black, and going to use our remaining fabric for a Runner for our Coffin Table (what all the food will be sitting on during the party).

We also decided to get some chains from Home Depot, and attach them to the ends of the benches, and the coffin shaped back, to give the back a little extra support if people lean again it, plus it'll look quite awesome.

These started out as like $25 a piece coffins, and have now morphed into $50 a piece coffins!! Still a deal if you ask me though. We certainly couldn't buy anything this cool for that price!

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Mandathewitch, those benches are great. I used that same fabric (only in purple) in my coffin that sits in the back of my hearse. I am also using it on the door panels, along with black vinyl, on the interior of my hearse.

· Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.