Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For our party this year, we wanted to do away with conventional seating (i.e. plastic chairs), and do something a little more creative. We decided that Coffin Benches would be a cool idea. My only problem is how to create them so that they are functional, and yet look cool. I had several drawings, but one of the other "hosts" of the party borrowed my notebook with all that info, and then promptly LOST it. So now I am back to square 1 with everything I had created in that book. (It had over 20 projects we were creating this year with detailed drawings and measurements)

Right Now I'm about to start redrawing them, but was interested to know if anyone had ever done anything like this before? Is there anything to recommend when I am drawing out the design? Or better yet, when we are putting my drawings into action? We also need to do this on a budget, so We need to spend less than $100 for the benches, including all the wood, fabric, and foam.

We are looking at creating 2 or 3 benches that are about 4 feet long each. That should allow 2 (or 3) people to comfortably sit at a bench. We have some other seating for the other area of the party, but found that last year we only used about 8-10 (of the 20 we provided) chairs for 75 people. Most people were dancing, drinking, conversing with each other.

We are doing a Nightmare Before Christmas Themed Event this year, and as such, we wanted to do some seating in our "Halloweentown" area, as well as our "Christmastown" area. Xmastown is going to have white chairs with various christmas Fabric on them to exemplify the holiday, but for Halloweentown we really want to have coffin benches. They would be reused next year....

Any info on construction would be appreciated. I am as always open to suggestions.

Oh and PS. This is an OUTDOOR ONLY Party. We opened the house last year, and it just got filthy and people broke items inside that were favored by the owners (i.e. my parents), and so we are not allowing people inside. The Bathroom access is thru the garage, in a special corridor so people can't destroy their home again. Yeah, 2 or 3 people ruin it for everyone else. We are just glad my parents are allowing us the venue period, since we all live in apartments at the moment.

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like that idea. Any details on dimensions would be fantastic. I'm not opposed to other ideas either. We also want them to be able to be broken down or useable for storage later (since we have limited room).... Just so you know. We really didn't save much from last years party/haunt, but this year we fully intend on saving things, so we want something cool, but storable. ya know?

Apartment Living SUCKS. If I had a house, I'd be fine!!

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's also a great idea. You could really do up the back, too.
Nice molding trim, dark stains, ornate trim, etc.

Cool Idea.

Holy crap that is a cool idea, but I think we really need to go more bench style than anything else. Just remember. Simpler is Better. We need something we can put together in 1 day (we ARE a talented group, but we do have our limitations - and 48 other projects we are doing this year).... Since we have to store this stuff somewhere, and frankly I have 2 5x5 storage spaces filled with Halloween stuff already. =)

I do like all the ideas so far, so keep em coming!

PS. that most AWESOME coffin couch... yeah. My favorite one from there was like $5500.,...a LITTLE out of my price range, and do you honestly think I'd let a drunk person sit on my $5000 couch? HECK NO!!!

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think I REALLY like the most recent drawing by Tk. I think that one has to most versatility. We are going over to Home Depot Friday Morning before work to see what they have, and what we can use.

We ultimately want to stay at about $25 a bench total including foam/fabric. I think we are going to check out the UFO in North County here, and see if we can get remnants on the cheap.... We can always piece together leftovers to make a whole...

Fabric we are going to attempt to acquire how I acquired my fabric for the Renaissance Fair this year.... it was a special order that was rejected because of a small flaw in the pattern (no one ever noticed it), and with discounts and sales I got it for $1.72 a yd for fabric that was originally $49.99 a yd. Needless to say I bought all 17 yds of it at the time. We are going to need about 15-20 yds of a Red Curtainy fabric for our haunt anyways, so if we can find a similar deal, we'll definitely take it!!

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well we came up with a Plan for the Coffin Benches. I'll have pictures of the Progress hopefully by Tuesday...

We are doing a simple rectangular Bench, but doing a 6" drop face on it, with Coffin-like handles on the front. The Coffin Shape is going to be the Back. We decided to Keep it simple (although after cutting all the pieces, things kept growing and shrinking....irritating!!)

Here's the ONLY picture I managed to Take of the 2 benches we are working on this week...

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
we had to special order the fabric. It used to be something Joann's carried all the time, but apparently it wasn't too popular (they still have the green and gold in stock at my store), so they went to a special order only on this color. Downside... It's a Pain in the butt to work with. Staples go RIGHT THRU it, so we had to tack it down with glue (We have access to industrial spray glue...it will make ANYTHING stick), and THEN staple it very carefully.

We were GOING to use the fabric on the BACK of the coffin benches, but when we laid it up on it to look, you lost the feel of the coffin with it. So we are just leaving those Black, and going to use our remaining fabric for a Runner for our Coffin Table (what all the food will be sitting on during the party).

We also decided to get some chains from Home Depot, and attach them to the ends of the benches, and the coffin shaped back, to give the back a little extra support if people lean again it, plus it'll look quite awesome.

These started out as like $25 a piece coffins, and have now morphed into $50 a piece coffins!! Still a deal if you ask me though. We certainly couldn't buy anything this cool for that price!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.