Halloween Forum banner

Coffin Benches

7676 Views 53 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  One eyed Mick
For our party this year, we wanted to do away with conventional seating (i.e. plastic chairs), and do something a little more creative. We decided that Coffin Benches would be a cool idea. My only problem is how to create them so that they are functional, and yet look cool. I had several drawings, but one of the other "hosts" of the party borrowed my notebook with all that info, and then promptly LOST it. So now I am back to square 1 with everything I had created in that book. (It had over 20 projects we were creating this year with detailed drawings and measurements)

Right Now I'm about to start redrawing them, but was interested to know if anyone had ever done anything like this before? Is there anything to recommend when I am drawing out the design? Or better yet, when we are putting my drawings into action? We also need to do this on a budget, so We need to spend less than $100 for the benches, including all the wood, fabric, and foam.

We are looking at creating 2 or 3 benches that are about 4 feet long each. That should allow 2 (or 3) people to comfortably sit at a bench. We have some other seating for the other area of the party, but found that last year we only used about 8-10 (of the 20 we provided) chairs for 75 people. Most people were dancing, drinking, conversing with each other.

We are doing a Nightmare Before Christmas Themed Event this year, and as such, we wanted to do some seating in our "Halloweentown" area, as well as our "Christmastown" area. Xmastown is going to have white chairs with various christmas Fabric on them to exemplify the holiday, but for Halloweentown we really want to have coffin benches. They would be reused next year....

Any info on construction would be appreciated. I am as always open to suggestions.

Oh and PS. This is an OUTDOOR ONLY Party. We opened the house last year, and it just got filthy and people broke items inside that were favored by the owners (i.e. my parents), and so we are not allowing people inside. The Bathroom access is thru the garage, in a special corridor so people can't destroy their home again. Yeah, 2 or 3 people ruin it for everyone else. We are just glad my parents are allowing us the venue period, since we all live in apartments at the moment.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
5,479 Posts
Oh, I know this one!! :D

How about this?

This is just a quick sketch, but you get the idea. You make the casket as ornate as you like, just remove one side so people can sit. You can leave the interior as wood, or embelish to your own comfort and delight.

5,479 Posts
I know when I sit down, I take up between 18 to 22 inches width on a bench, so I would make the caskets six feet long. That way, you can easily fit three people, possibly four. This would also give the caskets more authentic dimensions.

You can dress up the interior with lined fabric over foam, or you can just put in some cushins or throw pillows and let people have fun.

5,479 Posts
Thanks Spookilicious mama,

I know it's rather involved, but it's more exciting than just sittin' on a toe pincher. I realize there are some little things (like balance) that may need to be worked out, but I think it's a fun idea.

5,479 Posts
That's a good idea, and it's simple. Not a lot of time required. Could probably crank out several of those in a day with jut one or two people.

Also, wouldn't be too expensive.

5,479 Posts
This is YHJ's idea, but with a twist.

Build a regular toe-pincher, then get some 2" foam from the fabric store and build a large toe-pincher shaped cushion that rests on top. I would recommend you cut 3/4" plywood and brace it with some 2x4 for support. Put the foam on the plywood, then get some cheap fabric and use a staple gun to secure the fabric to the base. Accent with buttons if desired.

Secure the lid in the open position (2x4s will work great) and voila, you have a slick, and sorta goth, bench. When not in use, you can still use the toe-pincher as a prop, or fill it for storage.

5,479 Posts
TK, I seriously believe that you would bleed black and orange. Your ideas are awsom. I think you could add hinges on the legs so they could be folded up for storage. As for cheap lumber, I like to use old privacy fence when I can get my hands on it. Easy to work with and already weathered.
I agree, whenever I'm building a toe-pincher there's nothing better than some weathered boards from a privacy fence.

5,479 Posts
I love this thread, and all the great ideas. TK421 you always amaze me. I so jealous of the time you have to spend on halloween.
HA! Well, my wife is due in two weeks, so my time is pretty short. I'm just trying to get in as much as I can right now.

Of course, by August, my wife will have the little one in a sling and, hopefully, be out in the yard helping me do the detail painting and weathering.

:D

5,479 Posts
A post for all the mommies...

This is daughter #4 for my wife and I, so we're ready to go. Everyone knows what to do and we're all on standby. #1 and #2 have their last week of school next week, and then they'll be home for summer. #3 is having her second birthday on Sunday and she's already adjusted to her new room (with her big sister #2).

My wife is an amazing woman, and this will be her fourth all-natural child birth. She always likes going to the hospital so she can get a quick soak in the jet tub before delivery. Once things get going, it's about 10-20 minutes (I'm not kidding) of actual LABOR. She's always very calm and appreciates it when everyone else in the room is calm. Every time we go in, we have to hand out a copy of her birth plan and repeately tell the nurses that my wife doesn't want and epi or drugs. There's always at least one nurse that repeately offers and askes, "Are you sure?" a couple of times.

When #3 was born, she started timing her contractions in the morning, and told me we should go to the hospital. On the way, she wanted to stop at the store to get some "last-minute" things. A couple of cold sports dinks, if I remember. We got to the hospital around noon, got into her room around 12:45pm, and she was in the tub by 1 o'clock. She only spent about 10 minutes in the tub, then walked around for a little bit. When the contractions started to "bug her" we went back to the room and, in a calm manner, she had #3. The whole thing was surreal.

#2 was a bit more exciting because she got a shoulder stuck, so there was some manuevering that had to be done. But it was still a quick delivery. In at 8am, cutting the cord at 2pm.

#1 was aggrivating, just because of the driving. She went to the hospital where they said, "Oh, this isn't real labor" and told her to go home and take a sleeping pill.

I'm not kidding!! The duty nurse said, "babies never arrive on their due date, you're not in labor, go home." (This is what you can expect on a base hospital.)

Well, she went home and thought, "You know, I really think I'm in labor!!" so back she went to the hospital and, around 2am #1 arrived.

5,479 Posts
Johnny - your wife makes me so jealous. Why do some people have it soooo easy. =)
I know it sounds corny, but my wife really likes the Hypnobirth system. She swears by it.

Johnny, believe it or not, our #4 was a bit of an "oops". We discussed having one more, but thought we would wait a while since #3 was about 15 months old. Then my wife had the idea to, "see what happens." A month later, she was pregnant!!

I still tease her that there wan't nearly enough "trying to get pregnant" time this time around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.