Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For our party this year, we wanted to do away with conventional seating (i.e. plastic chairs), and do something a little more creative. We decided that Coffin Benches would be a cool idea. My only problem is how to create them so that they are functional, and yet look cool. I had several drawings, but one of the other "hosts" of the party borrowed my notebook with all that info, and then promptly LOST it. So now I am back to square 1 with everything I had created in that book. (It had over 20 projects we were creating this year with detailed drawings and measurements)

Right Now I'm about to start redrawing them, but was interested to know if anyone had ever done anything like this before? Is there anything to recommend when I am drawing out the design? Or better yet, when we are putting my drawings into action? We also need to do this on a budget, so We need to spend less than $100 for the benches, including all the wood, fabric, and foam.

We are looking at creating 2 or 3 benches that are about 4 feet long each. That should allow 2 (or 3) people to comfortably sit at a bench. We have some other seating for the other area of the party, but found that last year we only used about 8-10 (of the 20 we provided) chairs for 75 people. Most people were dancing, drinking, conversing with each other.

We are doing a Nightmare Before Christmas Themed Event this year, and as such, we wanted to do some seating in our "Halloweentown" area, as well as our "Christmastown" area. Xmastown is going to have white chairs with various christmas Fabric on them to exemplify the holiday, but for Halloweentown we really want to have coffin benches. They would be reused next year....

Any info on construction would be appreciated. I am as always open to suggestions.

Oh and PS. This is an OUTDOOR ONLY Party. We opened the house last year, and it just got filthy and people broke items inside that were favored by the owners (i.e. my parents), and so we are not allowing people inside. The Bathroom access is thru the garage, in a special corridor so people can't destroy their home again. Yeah, 2 or 3 people ruin it for everyone else. We are just glad my parents are allowing us the venue period, since we all live in apartments at the moment.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Oh, I know this one!! :D

How about this?

This is just a quick sketch, but you get the idea. You make the casket as ornate as you like, just remove one side so people can sit. You can leave the interior as wood, or embelish to your own comfort and delight.

·
6,359 Posts
I know when I sit down, I take up between 18 to 22 inches width on a bench, so I would make the caskets six feet long. That way, you can easily fit three people, possibly four. This would also give the caskets more authentic dimensions.

You can dress up the interior with lined fabric over foam, or you can just put in some cushins or throw pillows and let people have fun.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I made a simple plywood coffin that we use for a "coffin table" in our living room. We also use it as additional seating for our party. It will seat three adults without any problem. During the off season, we are able to store four buckies in it. It is 18" tall and 6'6" long. It is 1/2" plywood over a 2x2 frame for strength.

Here's a shot of it:

Eric

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts

How about this?

This is just a quick sketch, but you get the idea. You make the casket as ornate as you like, just remove one side so people can sit. You can leave the interior as wood, or embelish to your own comfort and delight.
Ok seriously!!! I cant believe you came up with this off the top of your head!! This is amazing, when she was asking about ideas for coffin seating I was thinking now how in the world does she plan to do that. Then I read your post and geeze louise that was a fantastic idea. I love the look of it. Good job!

·
6,359 Posts
Thanks Spookilicious mama,

I know it's rather involved, but it's more exciting than just sittin' on a toe pincher. I realize there are some little things (like balance) that may need to be worked out, but I think it's a fun idea.

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like that idea. Any details on dimensions would be fantastic. I'm not opposed to other ideas either. We also want them to be able to be broken down or useable for storage later (since we have limited room).... Just so you know. We really didn't save much from last years party/haunt, but this year we fully intend on saving things, so we want something cool, but storable. ya know?

Apartment Living SUCKS. If I had a house, I'd be fine!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
There's no reason you shouldn't be able to throw one of these together in an afternoon.

·
Registered
608 Posts

How about this?

To elaborate on this, you could include the fourth side, but put in on a hinge so it folds down and covers the support, so then when you close everything up you have a complete coffin.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
TK is just too good at this stuff. :) My only suggestion would be to go more the toe pincher route with a flat top instead of the rounded. That would make the back straight., and would be easier to build. I think he was eluding to that, but I just wanted to comment :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
TK is just too good at this stuff. :) My only suggestion would be to go more the toe pincher route with a flat top instead of the rounded. That would make the back straight., and would be easier to build. I think he was eluding to that, but I just wanted to comment :)
unless you stood the toe pincher on its side, i would be concerned that the bench is narrower on one side then the other, doing a round top keeps the bench seat one size

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
OK TK your just showing off, you actually have a Halloween Think Tank in your living room don't you! Good stuff, I like the idea of the fold down fourth side so that it hides the lower supports and fold up to allow for the storage option that all of us need so badly....apartment dwellers twice as badly!

·
Registered
608 Posts
OK TK your just showing off, you actually have a Halloween Think Tank in your living room don't you! Good stuff, I like the idea of the fold down fourth side so that it hides the lower supports and fold up to allow for the storage option that all of us need so badly....apartment dwellers twice as badly!
Yeah I'm an apartment dweller who does his haunt at his parents and I store all my tombstones and other cemetery items in my toepincher. Though I may have freaked out the neighbors when i was carrying a coffinshaped item wrapped in black plastic and put it in my outside storage closet!

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's also a great idea. You could really do up the back, too.
Nice molding trim, dark stains, ornate trim, etc.

Cool Idea.

Holy crap that is a cool idea, but I think we really need to go more bench style than anything else. Just remember. Simpler is Better. We need something we can put together in 1 day (we ARE a talented group, but we do have our limitations - and 48 other projects we are doing this year).... Since we have to store this stuff somewhere, and frankly I have 2 5x5 storage spaces filled with Halloween stuff already. =)

I do like all the ideas so far, so keep em coming!

PS. that most AWESOME coffin couch... yeah. My favorite one from there was like $5500.,...a LITTLE out of my price range, and do you honestly think I'd let a drunk person sit on my $5000 couch? HECK NO!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts