Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're doing the oh-so-original Pirate theme for our party this year. And hubby was going to build a pirate ship in the front yard, but opted not to because we change themes every year, so it would have to be disassembled and "made over" for whatever next year. Bummed me out.

So I was looking through the props forum, and came across a foamboard coffin that I want to make for our yard haunt. But then I though, why not make two, paint them with a wood grain, and use one without a lid laying down for a "pirate ship"?! I thought if I put a couple of masts in there, some sails and a flag, with a skeleton dressed as a pirate, and maybe a red light in the bottom to uplight, it could work...with a foamboard plank attached, going out over a "bottomless pit" prop (which I've been bugging hubby to make for awhile now - I think I'll just have to do it myself). Then we could reuse the coffin year after year as a coffin...

What do you think? If you saw that on a yard, would it be potentially interesting, or just silly looking?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, truth be told, the only thing I ever find silly looking in a decorated yard is the inflatables that you can buy..they just don't do it for me. Everything else is awesome though, especially handmade and unique items!

I actually like your idea a lot, and as you said, you can re-use it year after year. It might turn out being one of your favorite centerpieces! I say go for [email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments! :)

I think I will go for it. I don't care for those inflatables either, and this will be my first time "making" props (though my hubby made some wooden tombstones that are pretty cool a couple years back). But that coffin didn't look too hard, and I thought since my pirate will be "sailing" through our cemetery, the coffin might work. We'll see...

I'm going to try a fence this year too, out of stakes and creepy cloth, I think.

Now I just need to get my indoor decor finished so I can work on these outdoor projects...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speaking of coffin maybe some one can help with steps for an ice chest coffin!

hi! i was wondering if some one can be some help any way some one out there has ever made an ice chest coffin? i'm have tryed looking up steps and go off of that but i have not had any luck. maybe step by step or picture's.

i get the whole coffing making but i wanted to know what you actually use for the ice chest cooler part?

thank. LC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts