Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of extra coffee tins and containers, and I was trying to think of a cool way to reuse them. I am currently trying to get a swamp theme going for 2017, and was thinking of maybe reusing them as lanterns or containers for hanging props.

Anyone out there with experience reusing coffee containers (plastic) ? Any general ideas for what I can do with them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Doug,
Oh could you make so cool stuff with those coffee tins & containers...

Tins first, fill them with water and freeze them for a couple days. Take them out in the garage lay them on a towel and take a hammer and large framing size nail and punch holes in them (add a couple near the opening to run wire through so you can hang them when there done). Let the ice melt and the tins dry out then spray paint them lightly with a decent camo green. Get your self some cheese cloth spray it with the same green camo, put battery operated tea light candles inside the can and drape a piece of the cheesecloth over the opening of the can and let the ends hang down. it looks like swamp moss. (See My Profile Page) look for the photo of the swamp hag I made every single thing except the mask. I dyed my cheese cloth but it makes a mess and is time consuming.

Now on to the plastic....You can use them if they are large enough for concrete prop bases. I have used the large plastic coffee cans a lot. I mix up some concrete and cut about a 1' piece of 3/4" PVC pipe...Hold pipe in the center of can & add concrete around it. Let dry and use a 3/4" coupler and add another piece of 3/4" pipe, some Tee's, etc to make a goon. You can also use them to cement really creepy looking dead branches into. Just spray paint the plastic can flat black (you'll never see it at night) and then take some of your left over green cheese cloth and cut it into long strips and hang it over the branches to simulate the swamp moss that grows on everything.

I hope this gives you a few ideas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts