Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an overwhelming number of requests for pics and tutorial on my cocooned body. This is not exactly a step by step, but I hope it will answer some of your questions. Please feel free to ask more specific questions if you have any.

[URL=http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/Just_Whisper/2010/Halloween%20Props%20in%20Progress/Spider%20Victim/?action=view&current=spidervictimvideo.mp4][/URL]

I used 2 pieces of scrap lumber. I know one was a piece of 2X4 and I have no idea what the other one was. Use the most lightweight wood or other building material you can find. Weight is an issue with this prop. Measure them so that they will equal the length you want your prop to be, with the center being where the prop's waist will be. Attach them together with a hinge.
[URL=http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/Just_Whisper/2010/Halloween%20Props%20in%20Progress/Spider%20Victim/IMGP3235.jpg][/URL]
Attach your motor assembly to the top of the board that will be the legs. I used a Dayton Gearmotor part number 2Z830. Be sure to get the capacitor that goes with it.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Attach an eye bolt at the "head" end of the body.

Attach cable to motor
[/IMG]

Cover the motor end with wire to prevent damage.
[/IMG]

Add ribs to upper half of body.
[/IMG]

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add a head, very light weight plastic. And some arms if you want. It will look better.

Just a note here...I found I was still over on weight, so later I drilled out a lot of holes in my boards to lighten the weight. I also put more tilt on the feet so they weren't sticking up. I also I put an eye bolt in the feet and tied a rope to it for hanging up so it was easier to work with.

Wrap fiberfill or bubble wrap around the hip area to bulk it up a little. Now cover the whole prop in bubble wrap, except the head. I then painted it a sort of fleshy pink color.

[/IMG]

Now cover the entire prop in spider webbing. I used craft spray glue to keep it in place, a very light spray.

I hope i covered most everything.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I went back after I had it like I wanted and wired a motion sensor to it. It will now only run for about 5 seconds. Then it has to be triggered again.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Awesome prop! But I gotta ask, just for the sake, the screw through the wire, that wire's not hot right? LOL, sorry I had to throw that in there....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sweet prop! I am building one of these myself and I was trying to figure out how to add motion to it. I think you just solved that for me! Thanks!

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome prop! But I gotta ask, just for the sake, the screw through the wire, that wire's not hot right? LOL, sorry I had to throw that in there....
LOL Actually, that is a piece of wire I originally used to make shoulders. I later removed it. So, no it was not hot. Good question though. Thanks for the compliments everyone. I am so pleased you all like it.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Wow, great movement. Only thing I would do is make it so its not running full time to save the motor? I have a cocoon victim as well, although it doesn't move.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, great movement. Only thing I would do is make it so its not running full time to save the motor? I have a cocoon victim as well, although it doesn't move.
It does not run all the time. It is on a motion sensor. I ran it longer so you could see it in the video. Thanks Crunch, Glad you like it. I didn't realize until you mentioned it that I forgot to say I added the motion sensor. I went back and edited the first post. thanks for reminding me. :)

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
It does not run all the time. It is on a motion sensor. I ran it longer so you could see it in the video. Thanks Crunch, Glad you like it. I didn't realize until you mentioned it that I forgot to say I added the motion sensor. I went back and edited the first post. thanks for reminding me. :)
Right on. Looks good. Better than my non moving cocoon victim. :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Freakin Awesome....maybe you could have saved some weight by using 1xinch interior boards instead of 2x4's - would they have been strong enough? Actually, only the half that gets pulled would need to be lighter. Well another idea for me to archive for when I graduate out of reindeer motors.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Freakin Awesome....maybe you could have saved some weight by using 1xinch interior boards instead of 2x4's - would they have been strong enough? Actually, only the half that gets pulled would need to be lighter. Well another idea for me to archive for when I graduate out of reindeer motors.
I only used one 2X4, but unfortunately it was on the end that moved. LOL I used what I had on hand at the time, not realizing the weight would be as heavy as it was. If I ever have to rebuild it, as we do from time to time when our props get old, I will replace it with lighter material.

Thanks for the compliment :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am about to build this prop. How did you attach the head? Arms? This has a high creepy factor. Looking forward to building. Thanks.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The arms are just sort of duct taped into place. Since they do not move, the plastic wrap and the webbing will hold them in place. If I remember correctly the head was attached with a couple screws into the 2x4.

Thank you again for the very nice compliments.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
Ipsissimus13
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing