Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided this year in my basement bathroom to have hundreds of cockroaches. On the floor, on the walls, everywhere. So need some prop help.

1. I guess to best stick to the wall would be to use a little bit of double sided tape. Any other ideas are welcome
2. There is a rug in front of the vanity and thought about putting something under it so feels like you are crushing roaches. Will peanut shells work? And would it last all night?
3. Will have some small wireless speakers for some kind of sounds. Bugs crawling or something similar. Anyone have sounds of links to some?
4. On the floor near the toilet, I thought about have a thick layer of the roaches and something underneath them to simulate movement or have a few move. Don't know how to do that quite yet.
5. This I have figured out but like to share. In the shower stall there is a recessed bulb. I'm going to take bulb out and install this:

Auto part Electrical supply

Then will have short throw projector and project roaches on the shower door.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,792 Posts
Stiltbeast Studios just did a YouTube video showing a how to for getting plastic bugs to move in jars with magnets. Later tonight I can attach the video when I get to a computer. It will work well for you.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Put bubblewrap under a rug/mat and when people step on it it pops like squished bugs, lay plastic roaches on the rug for added effect :) Also.....I would use those sticky dots to attach the roaches to the wall.
The bugs Nightfisher mentions may be cheaper but there is also those little HEX bugs out there that vibrate, I found mine at Target in the toy department. I glued a plastic roach on mine and it worked great.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.
Deadna what sticky dots are you referring to. You not talking about the sticky putty are you? Will that bubble wrap last through the night you think?

Doto, thanks for the video, I'll take a look

Scorpion, I have that atmosfx video and was thinking about using that for the shower. Specifically the one where the roaches come out of the hole, I thought I could angle the projector from above and make it look like they are coming out of the drain.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Year's ago I did a walk through roach motel in a hallway of a haunted house. I had raised the floor and built plexiglass trays that slid under the thick plexiglass floor. Filled these with a bunch of breeder roaches that I had raise for over a year planning for this. The hallway was completely dark and I had an IR beam across the middle of the hallway. So as people felt there way into the dark hall, when they got to the middle and tripped the IR beam, it activated lights I had placed on the sides of the trays lighting up the floor. They'd look down to see where the light was coming from and see that they were standing over hundreds of moving giant roaches. Great effect! So much that we had PITA called on us for killing living creatures. I had to show them that they were all safe and were taken out of the trays each night and taken home and fed and cared for.

You could do something similar, like seal off the medicine cabinet with a piece of plexiglass and will it with these roaches.... or another area which you could seal off and let these critters run loose. What would really be cool is if you could have a hollow plexiglass toilet seat custom made for you and fill it with these bugs!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'd go for projecting on as many surfaces as you can. If you project on a wall with some static rubber roaches, then it looks like roaches running on top of roaches. I'd think one of those pico projectors would work well. They don't throw off a whole lot of light but for this application you wouldn't need it. I have one like this for $45: http://www.amazon.com/FastFox-Proje...id=1435858503&sr=1-11&keywords=pico+projector

Love the bubble wrap idea too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pod, I saw on older thread where you did that. Very cool. Too big a scale for me though.

Wackychimp I will look into that, thanks. Problem is that it's the bathroom and people want to see what they are doing, so can't have it but so dark. Picos don't put out but so many lumens.

·
Registered
401 Posts
As someone else mentioned, check out the atmosfear fx creepy crawlies disc. It's an older disc and you can typically pick it up on the cheap.

I projected a scene with one of those low end, LCD projectors from ebay and it worked perfectly. I had it placed up high in my garage and it was shining at an angle towards the floor entrance and it really freaked some people out when seeing the spiders moving around as they entered the haunt.

It also projects nicely on a wall. I had 1 file on a USB stick that I then looped to play over and over. I had also picked up a small bag of roaches at a Halloween store when I was on the road (hadn't seen anything like it at the local stores). I originally threw some out on the floor going for the same effect of weirding you out as you stepped on stuff. But in the end I didn't leave them cause during trial runs I could see where people might turn an ankle, even for little rubbery bugs. The projection looked good enough in the end and got the effect across.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Thanks guys.
Deadna what sticky dots are you referring to. You not talking about the sticky putty are you? Will that bubble wrap last through the night you think?
I am talking about those clear globs of goo that I get in alot of my mail...such as holding credit cards to an attached letter. They are available at office supply stores.
As for the bubblewrap....I first saw this trick at the entrance into a convenience store so it lasted thru lots of foot traffic. Of course as soon as someone steps on it they tend to hop/run off it immediately. I would use the smallest sized bubbles for this to make it last longer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For wall mounting 3m command strips and dots are greaat. We use it on paint and some wallpaper without damage. Just make sure to read instructions and test on any wall paper first.

For the floor try taking some plastic water bottles and cutting some in 1/2 so they are thin and duct tape under a matt. They make a great crunch sound that some dog toys are stuffed with.

Dont forget stickers and cut out prints. For volume filler farther away the 2d mixed with 3d does work well and is budget friendly.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I did exactly this in my bathroom a few years ago. It was a very effective room, there were a few kids at our party who refused to go in there. For sticking the bugs to the walls, we used blue putty, which was perfect for attaching the bugs and came off with zero damage to any of the surfaces. Doublestick tape may be more problematic to remove, and hard to attach to an irregular surface like the fake bugs (better for a flat surface like a photo or poster). Command strips would also work well but expensive. The blue putty was the over all best choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Reusable-Adhesive-Putty-1-Ounce/dp/B0017T0S5K

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put up a bunch of those plastic roaches using a hot glue gun, worked great. I tested the glue on the wall first, when it dried in a few seconds I just used my fingernail to take it off. Came right off with no damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm doing a bug themed room in our haunted house this year. Other than the assorted bugs, I'm hanging a giant spider near 2 large egg sacs made by covering a wasp decoy nest (link below) with a web-gun. Also using the atmosfearFX cockroack being project from under a table coverered with roaches in old pizza boxes. Amazon sells 145 rubber roaches for about $8, BTW. I made a custom sound design but it wasn't easy. Bugs don't really make noise, it's a fake movie noise that most people attribute the sounds to. I got some good sounds from 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' where they fight giant spiders in the forest.

Finally, I have someone dressed as an exterminator with one of those canned air (dusting) cans. I put a fake "Raid" label on it so he can pretend to spray people with pesticide but it will just be air.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Wasp-Nat...id=1445895046&sr=8-1&keywords=wasp+decoy+nest

1 - 20 of 24 Posts