Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!

I just finished up (most of) my decorating for our big party tomorrow night and thought I'd share a couple quick shots. This is the first year I've tried using the old web spinner... I'd used the hot glue/air compressor method in the past and was able to get GREAT effects with it, but this year I switched to the rubber cement/electric drill method and found the results to be much more realistic (albeit much more subtle).

I also made some new plaques this year for our costume contest (as opposed to printing out home made certificates as we used to do). I found a cool little gravestone thingy at Michaels and made a mold of it, then cast 3 copies. Painted them gold, silver, bronze, and antiqued 'em a bit... Then mounted them to some wooden plaques and had some brass plates engraved. Very cheaply done but yields a pretty cool result!

Anyway, enough yappin'.... Onto the pics. Happy haunting!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Wow! Very tasteful and classy halloween decorations!
Love the plaques! Mind if I steal the idea for next year? Always looking for new awards/plaques!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you ever had trouble getting the webbing off any furniture/walls or have it ever ruined any paint?
We've been using our outside and were going to use it on the walk through stuff, but my hubby was hesitant to use it on the front porch where it would be on the house paint. I can't imagine it would be a problem.

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
I also am new to the forum and have been the scariest house on the block for 15 years, but I am ashamed to say I've never heard of the rubber cement and drill method for cobwebs. Could you elaborate?:)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have heard the rubber cement wont come off items once its set.. someone mentioned they did it to a wall like 10 years ago and its still there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody!

Regarding the webbing--- The tool I used is basically a can of rubber cement with fan blades attached, which you insert into an electric drill and 'spin' at high-speed. I beileve there is a thread on this forum that goes into some depth about the process, I can't recall the title but a quick search ought to do it. Also, a search for "web spinner" on google will produce a frenzy of results for places to buy the contraption. Basically, the can spins very rapidly in the drill, and the rubber cement escapes from a few very tiny holes in the sides of the can. These rubber cement streams are blown outward with the rotating fan blades and settle on objects in a beautiful spiderweb pattern.

As for removal from surfaces, to be honest I'm still a novice with this particular material/method and have only done a few tests, but in my particular experience it seems to rub off of hard surfaces (like walls, wood, plastic, tables, etc) fairly easily. If there is any big trouble removing the webbing from walls, there are many solvents out there that will dissolve/clean the rubber cement off, although it might require some touch up painting afterward (but to quote another member of this forum, a good party is likely to require a little touch up painting afterward anyway ;) ). The only types of surfaces I've had problems with are fabric, such as table cloths. The rubber cement absorbs into fabric and will likely ruin any fabric it comes into contact with, so take caution.

One quick tip--- After I sprayed the webbing, I poured some baby powder in my hand and lighty "blew" it out over the webbing... The powder in the air settles nicely on the webbing making it more visible (the more you apply the better, and it also adds a nice aged dusty look). In the movies, they use fullers earth for this (a fine powdery dust used for props), the baby powder is very similar but obviously a lighter shade. I found that to be a plus though, as our party is very dimly lit and the white powder helps the webs visually pop a little more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts