Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
High pressure air line, a Co2 bottle, and a type of handle/gun with a dump valve built in. They are very simple and can be built for pretty cheap, the ones I see for sale are marked up a ton. You are going to go through a lot of CO2 with one of them and it is fairly expensive, just something to think about

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it liquid CO2 or what--i am clueless on this one. Is it something available from welding supply shop?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Kermat. The easy way out would be a CO2 fire extinguisher. Now for your questions. CO2 is a gas. Dry ice is CO2. When it melts there is no liquid form...straight to gas. There are processes to make it a liquid but that will not matter here. The tank is simply full of compressed 'air'. Sources can include welding shops that sell O2, acetylene, etc. Fire extinguisher service companies that refill tanks. Beverage companies may refill. Sporting goods possibly for paintball.
Be careful if you do use it as the discharge can produce ice crystals. A piece of cheesecloth or something similar over the end of the nozzle can help lessen the chance of it being a problem. Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hello Kermat. The easy way out would be a CO2 fire extinguisher. Now for your questions. CO2 is a gas. Dry ice is CO2. When it melts there is no liquid form...straight to gas. There are processes to make it a liquid but that will not matter here. The tank is simply full of compressed 'air'. Sources can include welding shops that sell O2, acetylene, etc. Fire extinguisher service companies that refill tanks. Beverage companies may refill. Sporting goods possibly for paintball.
Be careful if you do use it as the discharge can produce ice crystals. A piece of cheesecloth or something similar over the end of the nozzle can help lessen the chance of it being a problem. Have fun and good luck.
Not trying to debate or be a stick in the mud, but once compressed, Co2 becomes a liquid. I know this from my paintball days.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Icepick. No offense taken. I am not a chemist in my day job(nor do I have the paintball experience to pull from either), but maybe you could help me with something. I am aware that liquid states of co2 are possible but did not think it could come out of the tank as a liquid. Is this correct? With your background, have you ever seen a liquid discharge or know if it is even possible? I do not have a lot of practical experience with co2. My knowledge of it comes from classes taken years ago. Thank you in advance for any answers or additional info.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hello Icepick. No offense taken. I am not a chemist in my day job(nor do I have the paintball experience to pull from either), but maybe you could help me with something. I am aware that liquid states of co2 are possible but did not think it could come out of the tank as a liquid. Is this correct? With your background, have you ever seen a liquid discharge or know if it is even possible? I do not have a lot of practical experience with co2. My knowledge of it comes from classes taken years ago. Thank you in advance for any answers or additional info.
Once it hits the air, it instantly becomes a gas, unless, you could release it from the tank into a -70 degree room. Lol. The liquid that does come out and vaporizes, can and will leave a frost if the discharge end is close to an item. It can also cause frostbite if not careful. It can be transferred from tank to tank and stay a liquid. I have had a couple close calls in the past from disconnecting tanks after filling, and not purging the lines first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Icepick is right, Co2 is a liquid. When we fill up Co2 tanks for paintball, we use a bulk talk with a siphone tube, which goes to the bottom of the tank and pulls the air instead of the liquid which is at the top of the tank.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thank you very much Icepick and I appreciate the reply. That is good info. I knew it would be cold I just did not know the gas would be liquid in the tank. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts