Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make clown shoes for skellies as static props. I don't want to buy big shoes, as suggested online, but want to make the big bulbous toe shoes cheaply. I don't mind starting with thrift store shoes if there are no other good ideas and building them up, but would appreciate any thoughts. Would like to build them from junk if possible to keep costs down. Need to make 5 pairs. Paper mache is not my favorite medium, but I will listen. Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OMG, I made several pairs of the clown shoes for my props. I had one pair that I had gotten several years ago. I took some of the scrap foam that I had lying around that was 3" thick. I used the original pair to outline on the foam. You could also glue a couple of layers together to make them the height you wanted. I was lucky in that I have a band saw and zip them out in no time. From there I rounded the tops to match the original pair. I painted them with latex paint from a can because the spray paint just did not cut it. If you are not within 3' of the shoes they work fine. I also drilled a hole through the shoe where the ankle goes into the shoe, inserted a piece of 1/2" pvc, put a 90° bend and another piece of pvc. I carved a channel for the pvc on the bottom of the shoe. I attached the pvc to a board, slid the foam shoe down and my prop had a stand.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, budeena. I like working with foam board, even though I basically use kitchen knives for all the carving I need to do. The problem is that I am using the skeletons, and they have feet to deal with. I may try carving out enough to allow for the feet, but not sure I will succeed. Getting too old for this crazy stuff, but can't seem to quit being as excited as the kids for Halloween.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Okay let's attack this problem foot first. If you have a pair of the clown shoes, you could do either papier mache or duct tape to make duplicates. If you make one pair of the clown shoes from styrofoam, you could make the duplicates this way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts