Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on a Jack in the Box / Monster in a box hybrid prop. I wanted to do a Jack in the Box but did not want to mess with pneumatics and the box would be more expensive to build than the fence picket toe pincher.
http://www.scarefx.com/project_coffin_2.html

So I decided to keep the clown theme and put it in a rather festive coffin. There will be a crank that spins and the classic Pop Goes the Weasel but instead of a pop up clown the coffin door will slam open and closed against chains. Oh and it will have about a foot of clown leg/feet sticking out the bottom, making this think about 7' tall.

Thanks to arduino, the brain is pretty simple and easy enough to sequence. When the PIR sensor is triggered the sound starts playing and the prop kicks into action with lights, fog, and violent movement.

So far I have the coffin built and mostly painted. I was going to try to paint a clown face on the coffin but the roughness of the wood coupled with my lack of artistic ability made it really hard to paint so I scrapped it. I used a projector to project the clown on to the coffin and traced with a pencil.

m3Rqz0V.jpg You can see the screen door spring used to keep the door on the cam that moves it.
YQTjvwz.jpg L2zdron.jpg

The innards are comprised of :
PSU : The 12v main that all this is powered on
Arduino - The brain
Adafruit sound FX trigger board - the voice (with some speakers)
This thing is great because it has 10 triggers for 10 different sounds. 16 MB storage. although I'll only be using 1 sound
H Bridge (crooked looking one) : This allows control of DC motors using PWM and polarity switching. My crank is to spin in both directions and possibly at different speeds. This board allows that to happen easily with the arduino.
2 Relay board : Fog controller. The fog machine is activated by a simple push button. So by replacing the button with a relay it can be triggered at just the right time.

Not shown are the 2 wiper motors (One for the crank and another for the door slamming mechanism),the fog machine, and the string of RGB LED lights I will be rigging up to the arduino as soon as I find my prototyping PCB to connect them to the transistors.

j07lyEB.jpg

Will update as this progresses!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
solid construction so far. My toe pincher needs some beefing up. I built it what I call half last minute. Using leftover plywood and materials I slapped it together as a filler prop but it's been bending out of shape due to lack of solid structure. Have to do some similar stuff to your design to reinforce it this year.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,449 Posts
I really like the use of a "real" power supply. I use them exclusively due to their ratings . A bit more expensive then the wall warts , but well worth the extra $$$$ in my mind...........

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Looks really good! I do the same with my fog machines that are part of a prop but keep in mind it's not 100%. Depending on when the prop is triggered, the fog machine may be in a reheat cycle which won't produce any fog.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a few lying around from 3d printers. They come with cheap ones and I save them when I upgrade.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!

The lights, sound, and fog are all working! I am still thinking about the the timing of the fog though. I was thinking it would be putting out more fog so I have it cut short so I don't over do it. Looks like I might run it longer though.

Thoughts on the fade in before the music cuts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts