Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a simple build from last year. This was our front entry area coat closet. I just lined the walls with block wall scene setter and and as for the cell door, it's just scrap wood from the neighbor, black PVC "bars" with 2x2 cross braces and a small "lock" that I made from a block of wood that I drilled a keyhole into. The whole thing is wedged into the doorframe of the closet. Simple, overall cost was less than $5, and it looked good thanks to the naturally aged wood.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should say, as far as my level of talent goes, I thought it looked good...

Any ideas on improving this for next year? I won't be putting up the scene setter on all the walls unless I can figure out a quicker, easier way of doing so (cardboard backing?) Cutting that stuff to fit the stairs was ridiculous. Also, this will have to be secured a bit better if it's used in the closet again - I've got my first little monster on the way so some babyproofing will be in order.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Congratulations on the pending Arrival. this set up looks great! Show us a couple of photos when its a closet, as far as set up could use push pins for hanging the SS?, Maybe make a smaller frame with the SS on it?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Great idea and it looks terrific.

I don't know---maybe add a big padlock and fake chain to the door??

·
Registered
854 Posts
Great looking job! I think your cardboard backing would be a good idea. Attach it with 2-sided tape might work. Is the door "frame" and bars all one piece? If so, you might be able to attach it to the wall with baby bungees. A small eye-hook on the assembly in each corner, maybe on the bars, and one to match it on the inside of the closet. Stretch the bungee, and wallah! Just an idea...
HM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody! And yes, Hallomarine, it is one piece but I may revamp it for next year so that the bars will open - that way I can use it as a photo op for the party-goers/ToTs.

Good Idea on the pins and bungee cords! I'll have to pull it out of the garage soon and eye-ball it to see what will work best. There's several pieces of wood inside the closet holding up the shelf and such so I could drill into those rather than attack the drywall - spackle only helps so much...

As for details, here goes: The bottom piece is a 4x4 block that was cut to fit into the door frame. The outer wood panels are put together in a picture frame sort of way (as observed in the photo) with a couple wood chunks on the back screwed into the separate vertical pieces and the top horizontal piece to join them together. The cross bars are drilled out to fit the PVC and are attached to the inside of the "picture frame" and those also fit into the door frame of the closet so that it will be flush with the wall (except for the "picture frame" part). The PVC was glued into the holes so it wouldn't move around (good 'ole hot glue) and then painted with a semi gloss black because it was what I had at the time. I debated if a matte finish would be better but I kind of like a little shine to it.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You did an amazing job!!! I was sitting here...I'll admit it, a tad bit jealous of your beautiful stone wall...then I read it was a scene setter OMG, I would have never thought it...beautiful job :) would love to know where you got it from or at least the manufacturer and type I'm doing a Harry Potter theme this year and that is exactly the look I'm going for (planned on painting it but that would be so much easier) thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You did an amazing job!!! I was sitting here...I'll admit it, a tad bit jealous of your beautiful stone wall...then I read it was a scene setter OMG, I would have never thought it...beautiful job :) would love to know where you got it from or at least the manufacturer and type I'm doing a Harry Potter theme this year and that is exactly the look I'm going for (planned on painting it but that would be so much easier) thanks

I picked it up in the after Halloween clearance bin from walmart. I think it was 2010? I can't remember the brand but there were several varieties like one with blood spots for a science lab, and this one was a castle wall. The packaging was orange (not much help there, I know) and it was about 5'x25' so they were well worth the 3 bucks or so I paid for them at the time. I did a quick google search but couldn't find the same thing. I don't think walmart carries it anymore - sorry I couldn't be of more help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts