Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking about incorporating static floating candles in my cemetery this year. I saw this picture that seems to be a twist on Harry Potter that started to get me thinking.
fly-candle-fly.jpg

Most set ups use fishing line, but I want these out in the open and spread throughout the cemetery, so my support would need to come from below the candle.

I was thinking about trying the acrylic /clear plastic rods from Home Depot. I could make the lightweight tea light with paper towel roll candles so the rods wouldn't have too much weight to support. I guess they would also need to be sturdy enough so they won't sway too much in the wind.

-Has Anyone ever tried this before?
-Anyone have a better idea on how to attempt this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Rich

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree, the acrylic would reflect a lot of light, you would be better with thin steel rods painted flat black. However, this also would be visible. As a yard haunter myself I understand the challenges posed by the lack of a proper set and weather. One idea: can you control what is behind the candles? If you could have a row of bushes, wall, crypt etc. a couple of feet behind your candles the support could be from the "side" in the form of a very small dia. rod behind the candle that would be almost invisible from most angles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Now that I think about it the glass rod would shine and reflect and be pretty visible :mad:

The behind the candle mount may be the way to go.

My yard haunt is dark, but I do use a projector and green spots, so lighting could be the biggest challenge..

on another note, I may not be able to mount from above, but how about from the sides??

I wonder if I can almost make some sort of structure that would have tightly strung fishing line running across the cemetery at different heights ..
And drill small holes through the candle that the line or possibly two lines would pass through. Either straight across or in an X ?

Once again, the lighting would have to be kept off the line..and also would necessitate that I keep people from walking through the yard!

Just thinking out loud.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Braided stealth spider wire fishing line is basically invisible at night, and strong. I also display ghosts on poles painted flat black, that works well. I like the idea of the fishing pole, that would give each candle a random and individual movement with a little breeze, just need to think of and economical way to do it. For example, depending on where you are from thin bamboo can be very easy to come by. You could also string some black masonry line over the display, which is very strong and could be pulled very tight, and hand candles at different heights from this line using the spider wire. If you want to go really nuts, rig a crank arm and string the individual candles to the crank arm, so each candle goes up and down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking about incorporating static floating candles in my cemetery this year. I saw this picture that seems to be a twist on Harry Potter that started to get me thinking.
View attachment 244344

Most set ups use fishing line, but I want these out in the open and spread throughout the cemetery, so my support would need to come from below the candle.

I was thinking about trying the acrylic /clear plastic rods from Home Depot. I could make the lightweight tea light with paper towel roll candles so the rods wouldn't have too much weight to support. I guess they would also need to be sturdy enough so they won't sway too much in the wind.

-Has Anyone ever tried this before?
-Anyone have a better idea on how to attempt this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Rich
What size suspension wire do you suppose they used for that floating candle set up?

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,162 Posts
Are you dong this many? Then I don't know. But a lot of times I used Shepards hooks in various sizes to make something look like its floating.But again the catch is - you can't see it at night. But during day - yes. Maybe this will give you ideas. I had the hook behind the wall in this one holding the candelabra, a lot of times I put them in bushes, hid most of the hook.

DSC_0431.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Everyone!! I think the best thing to do is go out and play with the different methods to see how they work. I am more concerned with the after dark. This should be more forgiving as long as I am not projecting a light source directly onto the line or rod.

Last Year after watching a few IcePick posted vids I started projector mapping the front of the house to look like an old castle (stone walls gargoyles etc).
This year I want to use a second projector and grey tulle to have a ghost actually in my cemetery. I saw these Harry Potter inspired candles (ok, from 4 years ago..I am sometimes behind the times with pop culture) and would love to have some throughout the cemetery as well.

I think you all nailed it, which is why I love this forum ..amazing minds reside here.

I just need to keep the secrets (rod, hook, wire etc) in the dark!

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
For my floating candelabras, I use a horizontal fishing line and then tie vertical pieces off of the horizontal piece that tie to the candles. They sway and twist in a slight breeze and you can't see the fishing line unless you are right up on top of it.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I don't have a pic of what I do, but I have nothing overhead in my yard and still pull off the "floating candle" effect pretty well.

There is a power pole at the corner of my property, and it's about fifty feet from the closest corner of my roof: this is one of my main anchors for the fishing line I use (I use 50 pound test, which I can pull quite taut and still have strength in the line).

I'll run two lines from the pole (I attach them about fifteen feet up on the pole) to two different corners of my house, stretching the line very tight. I'll then use a couple shorter lengths to make cross-lines. From all these lines, I'll hang about ten to twelve of my light-weight candles from black thread.

In daylight, the fishing line can be seen, although it can also be missed (it really is hard to see).
At night, it's invisible.

By the way, my candles are very lightweight - I use those thin plastic covers for florescent tubes (they're just the slightest bit bigger than most LED tealights) - they're easily cut, take hot glue okay (for the dripping wax effect), and can be painted.
The weight difference between these, and the one's I've made from PVC, is significant - this allows the candles to be used on the horizontal fishing line without dragging it down to the ground.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Again Everyone,
I just ran out to Walmart and picked up 50 lb braided spider wire fishing line (moss green was the only color but hoping it is even harder to see at night). Going to run the two lines with cross pieces and then drop the lines for candles.
By creating the "grid" above I can vary the distance and height from the street level.
Thank You again!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks Again Everyone,
I just ran out to Walmart and picked up 50 lb braided spider wire fishing line (moss green was the only color but hoping it is even harder to see at night). Going to run the two lines with cross pieces and then drop the lines for candles.
By creating the "grid" above I can vary the distance and height from the street level.
Thank You again!
This stuff is great! Spiderwire stealth braid is super strong and doesn't react with UV light (blacklight) sources like a lot of monofilament line does and will be essentially invisible after dark regardless of what lighting you choose to use in your haunt.

Be sure to share some pics of your setup!

·
Registered
355 Posts
In my opinion you'd be much better off with stiff wire. The acrylic rods are going to catch and reflect too much light, so they'd be very visible. Some heavy steel wire, on the other hand, would not only be very thin, but you could also do a mottled pain to blend the wires in with the background, and make them nearly invisible. Just a suggestion.

Also, if you ever did decide to go with just hanging them from fishing line, the black nylon fishing line is far less visible in low light than the clear fishing line. The clear line tends to reflect light much like the acrylic rods you mentioned. The thin black nylon fishing line is virtually invisible in low light. In fact, magicians use a very thin version of black nylon line with a lot of levitating effects. (sorry if I ruined the illusion for you)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts