Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 large 4 X 8 wall panels that I need to weather proof. I need the coating to be a clear matte finish and relatively easy to apply to large surfaces. I did a search on the forum and saw that clear polyurethane is often used for small projects. Can it be used for large projects? If so, how hard is it to apply? Can it be applied with rollers, etc.? Are there other clear matte finish weather proofing materials that I should consider?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Poly would work but it sometimes will cause the material to look yellowish, the same with varnish. I don't seal mine because I use outdoor paint and even when I use interior paint the amount of time the panels are outside doesn't affect them. It would help to know what you are trying to protect that would wash away. You could try Never Wet as they have a clear. If I remember correctly it also may make it cloudy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last year I had some damage to columns from rain. This year after repairing I sprayed a coat of Thompson WaterSeal Multisurface on everything. Didn't discolor a thing, is matte and now water beads and run off.

I've used it on some outdoor furniture and its worked great so hopefully it is the same for the columns.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the suggestions. jbaum...the wall panels are DPI 47.75-in x 7.98-ft Embossed Hardboard Wall Panels from Lowes. See the link here http://www.lowes.com/pd_13964-46498-288___ They look like brick and I want cover them with a protective finish to protect them from the rain.

Please let me know if that changes your suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Last year I had some damage to columns from rain. This year after repairing I sprayed a coat of Thompson WaterSeal Multisurface on everything. Didn't discolor a thing, is matte and now water beads and run off.

I've used it on some outdoor furniture and its worked great so hopefully it is the same for the columns.
Does 'everything' include monster mud projects? I did a layer of drylok on my columns but wonder if it's enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does 'everything' include monster mud projects? I did a layer of drylok on my columns but wonder if it's enough.

I bought an "oops" can of brick paint from home depot because it was the right shade of gray (and cheap!) and painted my columns with that. I don't have anything painted with Drylok so I don't have any experience with that yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts