Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am painting a foam pumpkin for a scarecrow head. I put a black wash of acrylic paint on the pumpkin yesterday to weather the pumpkin. I like the look. However, today when I put some water on it, some of the black wash came off. What type of clear coating should I put on the foam pumpkin to protect the black wash? Note the pumpkin is foam so whatever I use should be foam friendly so it does not melt the pumpkin. Below is a photo. The black wash does not show up real well but it should give you an idea about what I am talking about.

Thanks for your help!

pumpkin.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am painting a foam pumpkin for a scarecrow head. I put a black wash of acrylic paint on the pumpkin yesterday to weather the pumpkin. I like the look. However, today when I put some water on it, some of the black wash came off. What type of clear coating should I put on the foam pumpkin to protect the black wash? Note the pumpkin is foam so whatever I use should be foam friendly so it does not melt the pumpkin. Below is a photo. The black wash does not show up real well but it should give you an idea about what I am talking about.

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 176491
Minwax makes a water based poly coat that would probably work

·
Registered
183 Posts
wouldn't the water based coat disturb the wash underneath? i'm thinking that a wash is more sensitive than a normal paint job ... but i have no idea

amk
Haven't used it over a wash but I've used it over dry brushing, but I use a sprayer and usually start with a quick light coat and go heavy ire with each coat usually about 3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts