Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting last night in the Home Dept thread about what I have on order, I had a few request to post some pictures. Granted, none of the items have arrived yet, but here is last years Haunt.

I hesitate to post, as you guys are on the extreme level with a lot of you are making your own props. This year only makes my 4th year doing this, with last year being the biggest haunt for me. The biggest hit last year was the Motorcycle Skeleton and the Gargantuan Spider. The biggest drawbacks are parents sitting their TOT's on/in the displays for pictures. They completely ruined the lights along the driveway. This year I will add a black metal fence all around the front yard with a sign to deter this behavior. I have grown to 1000 TOT's over the past 3 years and expect 1500 TOT's this year (some traveling as far as an hour away) so display casualties are expected.

With that said, I have a fairly large front yard and would like your suggestions on where to put the new items ordered. To refresh, I have the following on order from Home Depot:

Flying Witch on broom
Rocking Chair Witch
Swamp Witch
2 Cauldron Witches
Lunging Witch
Fire Breathing Dragon W/ fog machine
7ft Werewolf
Grim Reaper
Piano Playing skeleton
3 regular skeletons
Headless Horseman on a horse.....this one is my favorite. Hopefully I will be able to post a video and you will see why.

I am not the best photographer, but here are the pics from last year. I am open to suggestions and ridicule. LOL

HW2017-01.jpg
HW2017-02.jpg
HW2017-03.jpg
HW2017-04.jpg
HW2017-05.jpg
HW2017-06.jpg
HW2017-7.jpg

Here are a few daytime pics:

HW2017-8.jpg
HW2017-9.jpg
HW2017-10.jpg

Now about the video. I dress up as the Headless Horseman each year and I have a few friends as Freddy & the Texas Chainsaw guy roaming up and down the driveway. The Costume has evolved over the past 3 years (noting my Skeleton Horse Rider now wears the old costume,LOL).
I bought one of the creepy pumpkin mask years ago and placed a bowl inside of the mask upside down. Large enough to hold 20-30 pieces of candy. The pumpkin is then carefully placed on what would be my neck. The TOT rings the doorbell and I answer the door with the pumpkin head on........then I remove my pumpkin head, revealing I am headless, freaking them out in the process and hand out the candy from my head. I then go back inside and fill the head up again for the next group. I do this over and over again all night and have pretty much perfected it, I think.

Please let me know your thoughts and especially where to place the new displays.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow! You will definitely not got any ridicule, only praise.. your display looks great already and it sounds as if you're expanding quite a bit.. I'm very jealous of the props you guys are able to get across the pond. Well done on an already fantastic job, and I can't wait to see pics of the new batch of figures and this year's display. Keep the inspiration coming!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bow down to you.

You must be doing something right to get 1000-1500 TOT. Dang I thought my 250 was a lot LOL

I agree with the fencing. I have people going thru my display also. I'm finally putting up a fence this year.

I would move the graveyard to the garage side yard. Add a few more stones and lights. Add the grim reaper to the graveyard scene.

Put a few witches in a scene where you have the graveyard now.

The rocking chair witch I would add another rocking chair with someone dressed as a witch to it. Make it so people won't know which one is real or fake. Have the real one do things to scare people. Do a scene on your driveway.

I would put the dragon in the yard with a skeleton wearing burned clothes and running from the dragon

Thats all I have for now. Can't wait to see your finished display

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You’ve definitely perfected the “giving out candy” routine with your headless horseman costume. I loved watching the kids run away!

And yeah, I doubt anyone is going to ridicule you here!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I bow down to you.

You must be doing something right to get 1000-1500 TOT. Dang I thought my 250 was a lot LOL

I agree with the fencing. I have people going thru my display also. I'm finally putting up a fence this year.

I would move the graveyard to the garage side yard. Add a few more stones and lights. Add the grim reaper to the graveyard scene.

The rocking chair witch I would add another rocking chair with someone dressed as a witch to it. Make it so people won't know which one is real or fake. Have the real one do things to scare people. Do a scene on your driveway.

I would put the dragon in the yard with a skeleton wearing burned clothes and running from the dragon

Great ideas about adding a 2nd rocking chair and adding burnt clothes to a skeleton and have him running from the dragon!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bow down to you.

Great ideas! Thank you!

The only drawback to moving the graveyard is the fog machine. I have all the lines, etc. exactly where the need to be to create the effect. So much so, that the lines remain all year. Moving them will be a pain, but I will definitely think on this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would keep the fog machine there to swirl around the witches. If you can find moss to hang from the trees or build/buy a witch's shack that would be a great scene.

I don't know where you live but if you have a 99c store around invest in the vultures, or any of their rodent skellies to add to the witch's scene. They have a great assortment this year.

I would try and add another fog machine to the front. If not then great lighting will work wonders.

And if you haven't invested in Atmosfx then do so. You have some fantastic windows that I am very jealous of LOL I only have 2 I can work with

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would keep the fog machine there to swirl around the witches. If you can find moss to hang from the trees or build/buy a witch's shack that would be a great scene.

I don't know where you live but if you have a 99c store around invest in the vultures, or any of their rodent skellies to add to the witch's scene. They have a great assortment this year.

I would try and add another fog machine to the front. If not then great lighting will work wonders.

And if you haven't invested in Atmosfx then do so. You have some fantastic windows that I am very jealous of LOL I only have 2 I can work with
Really thinking hard on this!

AtmosfearFX is in the Garage Bays. 9'x8' viewing!

·
Registered
530 Posts
The headless horseman costume is freaking awesome! Excellent job! I love how people react to it. They know it's not real, then they have an emotional reaction and are repelled, then they rationalize it's "no big deal" then get freaked out when you move closer. LOL, love it!

Now about the video. I dress up as the Headless Horseman each year and I have a few friends as Freddy & the Texas Chainsaw guy roaming up and down the driveway. The Costume has evolved over the past 3 years (noting my Skeleton Horse Rider now wears the old costume,LOL).
I bought one of the creepy pumpkin mask years ago and placed a bowl inside of the mask upside down. Large enough to hold 20-30 pieces of candy. The pumpkin is then carefully placed on what would be my neck. The TOT rings the doorbell and I answer the door with the pumpkin head on........then I remove my pumpkin head, revealing I am headless, freaking them out in the process and hand out the candy from my head. I then go back inside and fill the head up again for the next group. I do this over and over again all night and have pretty much perfected it, I think.

Please let me know your thoughts and especially where to place the new displays.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do have a total now of 5 projectors but I bought a $50 one from Amazon. It has the USB port and all the gadgets so you dont have to invest in a Micca like the older projectors. And a cheap $3 shower curtain from Walmart hung on those upper attic windows would be freaking amazing !!!

Im going to need to buy a different house LOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
First, let me say that I absolutely love your style of home. It's awesome.

Second, you have zero reason to be ashamed of your display. It's nice and clean and isn't all cluttered up. Sometimes people go way overboard, and next thing you know it looks junky. Keep it nice and simple!

Third, I would die to have all of those windows available to decorate! I personally love making windowkins for my windows. I can make any pattern I want, I adjust the size to fit the window and people love them. After a few years I make different ones to switch it up. They are incredibly easy to make, they don't take too terribly long to make (maybe an hour and a half, to two hours each), they don't take up a lot of room to store at all, and each one cost about $2. I've attached a few that I've done over the years.

pic1.JPG
View attachment 555581

Each window can hold two windowkins, so by my count, you could put in 40 of them!!! Now that would take quite awhile to do, but it would look unbelievable if you had all of the windows covered in windowkins.

However you decide to set up this year, I honestly can't wait to see the results. You have a really nice canvas to work with!

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
first things first that headless horseman costume is AWESOME and so is your display. we started our display in 2013 and it just grew every year. since 2015 me and my friends dress up and walk the driveway scaring people. this year we're adding pinhead, the miner from my bloody valentine and one other that's gonna be a secret until halloween. our TOT'er count last year was close to 1,400. im afraid of how many people are gonna come this year. do you have a Facebook page for your house?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love your headless horseman costume!!! I made my own a few years back for Comic Con when Sleepy Hollow was a big hit but using the pumpkin head for candy is genius! Would you consider showing more detail in how you do that? And how you made your costume?

I can't wait to see your review of the HD headless horseman and horse. I have the skeleton horse and had always planned to turn my costume into a prop with the skeleton horse but never had the time. When I saw that one this year I said screw it I need to buy the one that moves.

On a side note, not that there is anything to ridicule about your setup, but I have always found HF to be a pretty welcoming and positive place and surprisingly low on trolls (well the internet ones anyway). There are some pretty fantastic moderators here so please don't ever hesitate to post your awesome work because we all gotta start somewhere :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
What a great display, and your approach to handing out candy has to be one of the major reasons you're seeing so many kids dropping by. It's that perfect combination of scary but not gory that allows every age group to enjoy your efforts.

I do have one suggestion that I think your home could pull of with great effect because of all those wonderful windows. Hopelesslyinsane had a wonderful post in another forum about the importance of lighting. https://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/197165-one-girl-200-dollars-decorating-budget-3.html. Her use of lighting to add an extra layer of spooky ambiance seems well suited for your home. Whether it's every window in the house lit up the way Hopelesslyinsane did; or keeping the candles the way you have it, but just one lit window at the top; or a lone figure silhouetted against the window, you have those marvelous windows, and I think lighting them up as part of your display would be a great addition.

Here's Hopelesslyinsane's insanely creative use of inside house lighting to make a really great outside statement.
2015-10-31 18.39.42.jpg

Yeah, I know I didn't tell you where to put a single one of your new additions, but I think you're getting great suggestions, and you're actually pretty good with the layouts yourself. Your idea of fencing in your props might also limit where they can be placed, but I totally agree that it's the way to go. But, those windows fascinate me as the only underutilized part of your magnificent display. Besides... kids and parents can't walk all over them in an effort to get a picture. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very impressive Haunt! I especially like the Headless Horseman costume. I wonder how you and others deal with using ready made props that have animation since almost all the ones I have seen say they are not for use outside unless in a covered location and yours are not. This has been a problem for me when significant rain is forecast. Do we just pray for dry conditions?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ummm if anyone criticizes you on this display, they are just jealous or..... no they would just have to be jealous. Your display is fantastic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for the kind remarks!

do you have a Facebook page for your house?
I do not have a Facebook page.

I love your headless horseman costume!!! I made my own a few years back for Comic Con when Sleepy Hollow was a big hit but using the pumpkin head for candy is genius! Would you consider showing more detail in how you do that? And how you made your costume?
Thank You! Please see below for a few pic, links, and explanation.

Here's Hopelesslyinsane's insanely creative use of inside house lighting to make a really great outside statement.
View attachment 556359
Thanks you for the link. I will definitely be working this lighting effect into my house this year.

Very impressive Haunt! I especially like the Headless Horseman costume. I wonder how you and others deal with using ready made props that have animation since almost all the ones I have seen say they are not for use outside unless in a covered location and yours are not. This has been a problem for me when significant rain is forecast. Do we just pray for dry conditions?
I have a rather large mudroom. I assemble all of the 'characters' and stage them in the mudroom. I will do a couple of 'dry runs' within the next 3 months placing them in the yard until I think they are perfect with lighting, etc. I then take each one and place back into the mud room until Oct 30th. I then place all of them in their per-determined locations and do a final check. No sleep on Oct 30th. Lol. Oct 31st come early with me making sure all is correct.

Now onto the costume. It's very simple, really:

I started out with the Original idea of the head/candy, but I needed a head and a good costume:

The head can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EU2TALY/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_W44BBbHV8K72S

The original costume can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/California-Costumes-Headless-Horseman-Costume/dp/B01C7YETKS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&pi=SL110&ref_=cts_ap_3_vtp

I placed a plastic bowl upside down into the pumpkin head and secured with duct tape. Before doing so, I put paper, etc, to fill out the top of the head.
costume1.jpg
costume2.jpg
costume3.jpg
Place the candy into the head and carefully lean over and place the pumpkin head onto the neck without spindling the candy. Notice the move I make in the original video taking the head off, this is to make sure the candy does not fall out.

Now, when I wanted to upgrade the costume to something more realistic, I ordered the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Very-Last-Shop-Captain-Halloween/dp/B07173QBHL/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1519183811&sr=8-48&keywords=Adult+Pirate+Captain&linkCode=ll1&tag=hallocostume-20&linkId=76d9a177a79874ebd6b9c2f9fbafc492&th=1&psc=1

Be sure to order 2 sizes bigger as you will need the extra room for the "shoulders" I use the shoulders and 'mask/neck' from the original costume.

I also ordered the following to complete the look:
Boots
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M09OVC/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_b-4BBbRCVFD62
Spurs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007UQ21Y/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_o94BBbCGM74NA
Spur Straps
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JET1DO/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_L84BBb2KWCQE8
Gloves (this out out of stock, any pirate type gloves will do)
https://www.museumreplicas.com/hessian-horseman-leather-gloves
Face covering (use this to actually cover the mask. Hard to see thru, but worth it.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0YA5GM/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_MU5BBbWHVXZHW
And the secret to making it all work:
Velcro
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IC2T/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_464BBbSB1W8AK

Put on the 'shoulders' and then the shirt. Pop up the collar and see where the collar 'touches the face mask on each side and rear. You will need to sew , yes sew, the Velcro onto the mask:

costume4.jpg
costume5.jpg
costume6.jpg
costume7.jpg

Then pop up the collar of the Jacket. Using the same process, add the Velro to the appropriate place on each side of the shirt collar. On the inside collar to to where they would attach to the mask, and outside of the collar to where the attach to the jacket. No need to sew these, as they will stick good to the shirt and jacket.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts