Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 277 Posts

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
dawnski, You are coming up with some really great props with big impact - the medieval shield, the coffin, the stained glass window. Too bad that OTC creature is so so expensive. I wonder if anyplace else carries it at a lower price?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh wow, Witchypoo! That's awesome!
I'm excited to see how the Universal Monsters party turns out. I want to do something similar, but not necessarily "Universal Monsters." I'm definitely keeping my eye on this thread.

Oh, lol! I just noticed the Dracula baby in the carriage! I'm not a fan of zombie babies, but that actually works!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Witchy Poo I love that Dracula jar. I've been having a great weekend. I just picked up these two busts at a resale shop. This year I'll probably put vampire fang marks on them. I can re-purpose them every Halloween. Tomorrow there's a vintage garage sale in Chicago I'm going to check out.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Finished another project. I have a foyer/hallway with a large mirror at the end. I wanted to create a mausoleum look to this passageway. I saw a wonderful version on Mandy's Pinterest page. http://pinterest.com/kmb12357/things-i-have-made-halloween/ She did this with foam board on her garage door. I needed something flat that wouldn't destroy my wall.

I picked up black poster board and marble contact paper. I cut mausoleum size rectangles and affixed to the poster board. I doubted my ability to write script style on the contact paper. Many mausoleums have placards on their slabs. I found brass/gold looking letterhead at Staples. Trying to keep with my Universal theme, I found pictures and birth/death dates for the original authors and actors of the Universal movies. The printing is light and looks like what I would imagine a real brass print plate would look like.

It's not as nice as Mandy's but it will certainly work for the hallway. Add colored lighting, spider webs and a few accessories and this will look convincing enough. I made 12 in total. Closer to the date, I will tape these all together and hang with minimal holes in the wall. Cheap way to decorate a large area!

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
The busts are great, can't wait to see what you do with them. I am blown away with your mausoleum. If you had not said they were poster board, contact paper and gold paper I would have never been able to tell they were not real. I really love that you used authors and actors in the films. Can't wait for your next post.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,099 Posts
dawnski, you're doing an amazing job with this theme, your enthusiasm comes right through your posts and your projects are outstanding. :) This is a great theme for thrift shop hunters like myself; you can collect things for a lot of themes all rolled into one party. :D

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have a foosball table that I want to turn into my laboratory table. I saw this pic from a Young Frankenstein play. Thought I could replicate the side of this lab table with cardboard and attach to the side of my foosball table.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
dawnski, you're doing an amazing job with this theme, your enthusiasm comes right through your posts and your projects are outstanding. :) This is a great theme for thrift shop hunters like myself; you can collect things for a lot of themes all rolled into one party. :D
I've become a total thrift store/garage sale fan for finding cool, items I can turn into props for my Halloween parties. For those afraid of not being crafty, you really can't mess things up. That's the beauty of Halloween. Even broken or mis-shapen things have their own creepy charm. These items turn out much nicer than anything I can buy at a Halloween store. I focus my Halloween store purchases now to items I can't make and scene setters as needed.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I picked up a Tekky Toys John Doe animated body last November on clearance at Darkside Displays. I had a few tense moments this weekend where I couldn't seem to get him to work. For some reason today, he just started working on his own. The music is a little loud but the heavy breathing is a nice effect. This guy is going to lay on my laboratory table. Not sure if I want to keep it sound activated or use a foot pedal yet. Here's a video on how he works. Pretty cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uCrjhIgs-Y

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome windows! Last year my Frankenstein Lab included beakers filled with "Atomic Glow"...found it on stevespanglerscience.com for about $10. A few drops added to water and it glows green under black lights.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Finished another project. I have a foyer/hallway with a large mirror at the end. I wanted to create a mausoleum look to this passageway. I saw a wonderful version on Mandy's Pinterest page. http://pinterest.com/kmb12357/things-i-have-made-halloween/ She did this with foam board on her garage door. I needed something flat that wouldn't destroy my wall.

I picked up black poster board and marble contact paper. I cut mausoleum size rectangles and affixed to the poster board. I doubted my ability to write script style on the contact paper. Many mausoleums have placards on their slabs. I found brass/gold looking letterhead at Staples. Trying to keep with my Universal theme, I found pictures and birth/death dates for the original authors and actors of the Universal movies. The printing is light and looks like what I would imagine a real brass print plate would look like.

It's not as nice as Mandy's but it will certainly work for the hallway. Add colored lighting, spider webs and a few accessories and this will look convincing enough. I made 12 in total. Closer to the date, I will tape these all together and hang with minimal holes in the wall. Cheap way to decorate a large area!
If the tape doesn't hold them, use straight pins (for sewing). I use them for everything including my spider webs. They are easily hidden, can be painted if need be and leave tiny holes. Works so much better than nails or tacks.

Btw, love this idea for a hallway. Really neat, can't wait to see them on the wall. You could even grab some of the plastic flower vases like what u see for Memorial Day, paint them to match and use them with flowers or as accent lighting (just drop in a pin light or solar light from DT)

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Found these awesome art nouveau style pillows of the Universal monsters on Society 6. They are kind of pricey but would look great on our couches. I'm keeping them in my "back pocket" if I can't find a cool design of my own to make. http://society6.com/search?q=hallowette&page=2 Besides the two pictures I've attached, I like the Frankenstein and Wolfman pillows.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 277 Posts