Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I'm planning a classic monster party with rooms dedicated to the Mummy, Dracula, Invisible Man and Frankenstein. Possibly a Creature from the Black Lagoon bathroom if I have time. Thought I'd use this thread to share my prop updates. Please feel free to offer suggestions. This is a whole house party so every nook and cranny is decorated.

My first creation is a stained glass effect for the window wells in our basement. Our basement will be the main party area and will look like Frankenstein's laboratory. I took poster board and sized it to the windows. I cut out a gothic style window design. Rather than use colored tissue paper, I decided to use this as a homage to all the horror classics. The "windows" are filled with colorful artwork I found on the Internet. This took some work but they turned out awesome! For the party, I will have a back light in the window well so the colors will really pop. This was relatively inexpensive aside from all the toner I used up.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some raw materials for my Frankenstein lab. Some interesting packing material, fan parts and thees Dollar Tree hummingbird feeders that looked like big light bulbs. Figured I would put some glow necklaces in those. Not sure how I'm going to paint these items. I have an entertainment unit that takes up an entire long wall of our basement. These items are going to fill sections of the bookshelves. Chime in if you have any ideas for painting or using the fan parts. This room will have black light so I want to get creative with the black light paint in here.

Attachments

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
WOW. I love the gothic stained glass window effect with the monster photos. Brilliant!! I will be keeping close tabs on this thread!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spent the afternoon spray painting. Used layers of grey, black, red oxide primer and fluorescent green. Doesn't look like much in a regular flash shot, but looks fantastic under black light. Must wait for later in the year to include on my bookshelves.

Attachments

·
Thrilled To Death
1,715 Posts
Wow the stained glass is awesome! Love your ideas so far! Since your using black lights in the lab you could fill up some apothecary jars with tonic water or Tide detergent to give them the glowing effect.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since your using black lights in the lab you could fill up some apothecary jars with tonic water or Tide detergent to give them the glowing effect.
Good ideas. I also found glow in the dark slime at the Dollar Tree that I plan to put in some smaller bottles. It has a real bright glow.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Agreed on the amazingness of the stained glass window!

You might want to check out TwistedUk's Frankenstein laboratory album - it's really incredible stuff...
http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/twisteduk-albums-frankenstien-lab.html

And you saw that Midnight Syndicate's upcoming CD is heavily focused on Universal and Hammer horrors?

There's a new Bela Legosi latex mask kicking around out there - not super cheap but not outrageous either. http://www.trickortreatstudios.com/bela_lugosi_dracula_full_head_mask.html

We've had 5 of the universal(ish) monsters in our yard for the past few years and try to keep upgrading 'em a bit until we're happy with 'em (the creature has a loooooong way to go), so I'm anxious to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Love your theme and everything you have done so far. In the Mummy room are you going to have like a treasure chest? I am big into St Patricks day since I am part Irish and I spray painted rocks and solid bricks shiny gold and they look just like gold nuggets and bricks. I also picked up cheep plastic coins and beads at the dollar store, I spray painted them gold as well. Hobby Lobby has fake jewels that you could sprinkle in. Just a few thoughts, can't wait to see more of your props :)

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spray painted rocks and solid bricks shiny gold and they look just like gold nuggets and bricks. I also picked up cheep plastic coins and beads at the dollar store, I spray painted them gold as well. Hobby Lobby has fake jewels that you could sprinkle in. Just a few thoughts, can't wait to see more of your props :)
That's a wonderful idea. I didn't think of that. I picked up a big, long chest that normally would go by the foot of your bed. But it looks like an old fashioned coffin/crate. I think I'm going to lay a mummy on top of this as opposed to using it for my dracula room. I could lay some treasures out by it.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 277 Posts
About this Discussion
276 Replies
49 Participants
girl77
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing