Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
The powers that be try this every once in awhile for different reasons(Hllween falling on Sun, etc.) I've never known it to work. People just ToT anyway on the 31st. I was even ready on the last year Hween fell on Sun. I set up for Sat too (I don't agree with moving it but I'm all for 2 nights). We didn't get anybody!

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
Pardon me, SouthernBelle, but screw the city and celebrate Halloween on the 31st. If any TOT knock on your door on the 30th say sorry kids but Halloween is not till tomorrow night. This is absurd, moving a holiday because a football game! It's bad enough when the 31st falls on a Sunday and all the right wing churches begin to freak out and try to get the holiday moved but for a football game? I've heard it all now, hup one, hup two, trick or treat!

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
This is absurd, moving a holiday because a football game! It's bad enough when the 31st falls on a Sunday and all the right wing churches begin to freak out and try to get the holiday moved but for a football game?

While I agree it is ridiculous, if you think about it, the 2 situations aren't so different. After all, in many small towns, high school football is a religion :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our town does Trick or Treat on the last Sunday of October so unless it happens to fall on the 31st. we rarely have ToT actually on Halloween. I agree it's ridiculous, you don't see people moving around other Holidays like this.

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
While I agree it is ridiculous, if you think about it, the 2 situations aren't so different. After all, in many small towns, high school football is a religion
Amen, brother (opps I just committed a sacrilege!) Praise God and go win one for the hometown!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree it is ridiculous to move a holiday because of a football game or anything else for that matter. If they decided to make their team play on Halloween night then that's their problem and they should have thought about it when they were setting up the scheduele. If my son or daughter played on a sports team that played on a holiday no matter the holiday I would tell the coach sorry, but no we don't do that. It's a holiday and my child will not be there.

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I TOTALLY think they should move the football games. Or better yet, just cancel them. It won't break my heart.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I'm curious how they feel this is going to be for the safety of the children, when they're only giving 2 hours to ToT (so, that will ensure that any kids out ToTing will be RUNNING from place to place) and doing so when all the mommies and daddies who work will be DRIVING HOME! (figuring many people work until 5pm, then need a half hour or more to drive home)

I'd like to see the statistics on this, to determine if it is any safer at all than what was in place before, or if it has perhaps made things worse.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Oh, I don't know. I can understand the conflict... especially where HS football is VERY popular and game attendance is high. Pity the poor football Mom who has a HS game AND younger children AND TOT to worry about.

We have had the 'No TOT on Fridays' rule for as long as I can remember. We also have a 'No Sunday' rule as well. Always 6-8PM. I honestly don't mind it. I'd almost rather have a Halloween Friday for adult parties.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I hope the football team loses.
Not only loses, but zombies rise from the ground and devour the team, the coaching staff and the officials who made up this stupid rule.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yep if you live in Ohio this is common. They moved it last year too. Its a bummer I go through all this work for a big Friday night with extended hrs. only to find out its been moved to a lame thurs.,....oh and when they do that here in Ohio nobody goes TOTing on the 31. It stinks to me. And I was told its more than football, the police don't want the late night action to deal with.....so even next year when it should be Sat., they'll move it to Monday. Oh you guys in Cinn. are gonna get moved too check it out. I'm in Dayton. Oh well I'm extending my hrs. here on the 30th. because the 31 will be graveyard dead now and we will be doing nothing but watching TV. [email protected]#$%^&(&@#$%^**(++_&%#@!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I couldn't get the first link to work.
The second link from the Clarion Ledger mainly says they want to move their yearly "Kid's Night Out" Festival to Thursday because the police force cannot cover three football games and the Festival on the same night. It says they have no intention of stopping anyone Trick-or-Treating on Oct. 31st and expect that to go on as planned.
The third link from the Worchester Telegram makes no sense. The argument is that 5pm to 7pm is "prime-time" for traffic, so Saturday will be Trick-or-treat day. What about when Halloween falls on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday? Why not the same argument then???
I think the traffic gripe is just an excuse to move Halloween because the town is afraid of what vandalism might happen while kids (teens) are out late on a Friday night.
Another case of Government trying to do a job that belongs to parents!! Grrrrrrrr......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts