Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past couple months, I've posted videos of several circus-themed projects. Following is a video of the completed display, but, first, some notes on the props:

Rooftop Unicycle Skelly -- In short, it ran but required constant checks (like every 10 minutes) to reset its starting point so that the motor-string arrangement didn't break if the skelly deadended on its track. (I'll make more comments later on an updated Unicycle Skelly post.) This prop and I had a love-hate relationship.

Red "It" Balloon -- The balloon ran well on its lightweight axworthy ghost loop. Actually, there were three balloons so that one was always floating in front of the house. This prop was the Easter egg of the display: Some saw it, some didn't. Of those who spotted it, some made the "It" connection, and some didn't. Those who did spy it seemed pleased with themselves.

Skelly Trapeze -- The two skeletons swung nonstop for several hours without issue. It was a pain erecting, leveling and securing the frames, but the effort paid off with the skellys floating back and forth under blacklight.

Bad Clown in a Box -- My brother had great fun triggering the remote whenever someone walked past this classic prop. It ran without issue for my preview night and for trick-or-treat, but it ran only intermittently the following night when I was recording video. I don't know if it was a motor issue or if the wooden lid had become too heavy from absorbing rain water.

Purchased Creepy Clowns Ferris Wheel and Carousel -- I was happy to have a couple props I didn't have to build. No doubt they will contribute to future therapy sessions.

Calliope with Skulls-and-Bones Infinity Box -- Definitely the centerpiece of the display with sound (recorded calliope music), fog and bubbles. The wagon's red color drew attention and made obvious the entire display's theme. The infinity box is one of those props that are relatively easy to build (and store) yet extremely captivating to viewers.

Fun House Mirrors with Pennywise Surprise -- I was afraid the mirrors would be ignored, but they attracted both kids and adults. (I doubt many kids have ever seen a fun house mirror.) The last mirror was a two-way mirror that, as people looked at their reflections, the lighting changed, revealing a live Pennywise clown behind the mirror. People seemed more amused than shocked by the surprise, but that's okay.

I've tried to have a different theme every year, but the labor and money required for this year's builds--and lack of space to store any more props--have convinced me that I need to choose one theme and stick with it. That's a little disappointing because I know visitors expect to see something new every year. And now, the recap video:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thank-you so much for sharing and for the updates. I was just thinking about your haunt and wondering how it went. I was worried that you may have gotten some of the nasty weather that many of us got and was not able to put up/out some of your props. Glad that it went well overall. Your haunt looked fantastic.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you so much for sharing and for the updates. I was just thinking about your haunt and wondering how it went. I was worried that you may have gotten some of the nasty weather that many of us got and was not able to put up/out some of your props. Glad that it went well overall. Your haunt looked fantastic.
Thanks, HW. Fortunately trick-or-treat in my town (in central Penna.) was held on the 30th. The rain started about halfway through the two-hour event but wasn't heavy at first, so attendance was near normal. Later in the evening and all day on Halloween, the wind and rain were heavy, but I'd taken steps to protect the props.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts