Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for low budget, low tech (can't sew - no, not even a seam or button) but weather hardy options to create a 'tenting' effect. I live in the prairies where rain, wind and even snow can beat up on the props by Halloween.

The front yard will be a circus/sideshow theme. I'm going to try and string the lights in a tenting pattern (strings coming out from a high central point) but I need some more ideas.

What have other haunters done with this theme with success.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
How you hang them up depends on what you've got to do it, but many have used dollar store plastic tablecloths for circus tents. A strip of red, a strip of yellow, a strip of red, etc. You could use clear tape to attach them to each other, or even duct tape if there's one side no one will see.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Duct tape will probably hold up better than the cheap plastic. If it gets real windy there, you may want to figure out a way to easily put it up and down every night. Or cut some slits in the plastic to let the wind blow through. That's what businesses do with the big vinyl banners you see attached to chain link fences or posts. Take a close look at one sometime and you will see that they have flaps or slits cut in them, oftentimes right through the lettering.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure how the weather thing would go, but that's basically what we did a few years ago. We used the plastic tablecloths on rolls and a gazebo frame (an EZ-up could be used as). It looked pretty good, but I'm not sure how long you could leave something like this up...
IMG_1570.jpg IMG_1416.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm doing a carnival theme , used painters canvas tarp. 9 x 15. Painted white first ( " gesso" ) then red and yellow stripes. Works great not to $$. Just used cheapest latex

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
Taking my ez up canopy, painting stripes on a painters drop cloth then attaching it to the canopy just like amyml. =]

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm not sure how the weather thing would go, but that's basically what we did a few years ago. We used the plastic tablecloths on rolls and a gazebo frame (an EZ-up could be used as). It looked pretty good, but I'm not sure how long you could leave something like this up...
View attachment 173003 View attachment 173004
that looks fantastic but where did you find the plastic tablecloth rolls? I could only find rectangular ones.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I usually buy the rolls at a store called Smart and Final. They probably have them at Costco as well. I've never looked at Walmart but they might have them.

The rolls are a much better deal than buying the single tablecloths unless you are only doing a small area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts